[Suggestion] Chester Upgradable To Fishing Bin

We have shadow Chester, we have snow Chester. I think we should also have fishing bin Chester who can keep fish alive.

Upgrade recipe could be 9 ice, or 9 water balloon. Though I think they are too cheap. Any ideas?

Edit: Fishing bin Chester is a misleading name. It’s more than a regular fishing bin. It can of course store normal items too, just like snow Chester. I think it’s better to call it Ocean Chester.

It sounds a bit too niche for my tastes personally, if it had other uses then I feel I'd like it. (I imagine the point of this is for the thermal fishes yes?)

I feel I'd rather take a lunar mutation chester as it represents RoT as a whole. As for what lunar mutated chester could do I'm not sure yet, but I think there's something fun you could do with that idea. Perhaps itd be the non-event exclusive way of mutating things into their lunar counterparts, perhaps even a secondary effect of chester having an innate revive.

3 minutes ago, goatt said:

It can store both ice cream and scorching sunfish. That is already very useful.

I understand, but having a whole new transformation JUST to have better usage of two fish is bit lacking imo. Shadow and snow chester are very general with their uses and can have many different uses. 

11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Shadow and snow chester are very general with their uses and can have many different uses.

They do have many uses.

like shadow Chester, it can store 9 items and 3 more items.

snow Chester, it can store 9 items and decrease items spoilage rate and temperature.

now, fishing bin Chester, it can store 9 items, and keep fish alive, (maybe also make items wet, and increase spoilage rate same as wetness). I think on paper, fishing bin Chester is as useful as other 2 versions.

I think fishing bin Chester is a misleading name. It makes people think it can only store nothing but fish. I think a better name is ocean Chester.

1 minute ago, goatt said:

increase spoilage rate same as wetness

Shadow chester already has the perk of spoiling items faster though.

But yea, I just feel having a mobile way of keeping fish alive isnt useful for anything other than the seasonal fish(I say this as someone who fishes a lot, and the fishing bin has generally fulfilled all my needs)

To be clear, I'm looking to see more of a fun factor, in this game I like for things to have multiple fun uses instead of just one niche use, and for me just being able to keep the thermal fishes alive, while certainly strong, I think it's just a bit too niche for it to be fun to interact with fishing bin chester.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I think it's just a bit too niche

But it can keep regular items like tools, natural resources in it too. Just like snow Chester can store regular things.

I think it would be "niche" if this chester can only store fish.

It's a chester first, then a fishing bin.

1 minute ago, goatt said:

But it can keep regular items like tools, natural resources in it too. Just like snow Chester can store regular things.

I think it would be "niche" if this chester can only store fish.

I'm looking at only the new additions transformations provide. Since all transformations and default chester already allow anything to be stored I didnt think itd be important to include in my point of view. If certain transformations had the downside of preventing certain items from being stored then I'd believe itd be an important aspect to take into account.

12 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I'm looking at only the new additions transformations provide. Since all transformations and default chester already allow anything to be stored I didnt think itd be important to include on my point of view.

To be absolutely honest, my original motivation was because I only see people use snow chester to store thermal stone in summer. I've never seen anyone actually store food items in snow chester in pub server. It's my anecdotal experience, not always true for everyone. But I'm just telling you what I got.

Now my suggested Chester can do more than summer. So that's already twice as useful as the snow Chester I observed.

Since you are talking about "fishing bin is enough", tbh, ice boxes are way more than enough to use (not to store). It's very evidently true because ice boxes are everywhere, you can always observe them. With your line of reasoning, snow Chester is as niche as fishing bin Chester. No one (anecdotal experience) wants to bring snow Chester with them as food storage. A snow chester inside kitchen is just a road blocker.

Yes, fishing bin Chester is niche, but it's less niche than or as niche as some existing Chester in the game.

Plus, it's a great benefit to have thermal fish inside base for convenient grabs. It's undesirable to have to go to some specific location far away to grab a thermal fish. This fishing bin on land alone is an irreplaceable bonus.

7 minutes ago, goatt said:

snip

I feel the reason most people don't use Snow Chester is because of the cost. Atleast that's why me and some friends of mine don't use snow chester until much later in the game. 9 whole blue gems is a lot to ask and I feel it's a remnant of outdated design from 2013 when Klei probably thought a portable freezer would be extremely powerful.

I've been longing for the cost to decrease to a mixture of ice and blue gems, possibly 1 blue gem  with 8 ice around or something similar. Considering chester is still killable and you have to wait for specifically a full moon, I feel itd be fair. But, perhaps I'm completely and utterly wrong on the transformation cost being the reason people dont use snow chester.

38 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I feel the reason most people don't use Snow Chester is because of the cost.

Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant people upgraded snow Chester during full moon, but no one actually grab it for any use afterwards. Only use I saw people grabbed it for was thermal cooling. Again, anecdotal experience in pub servers. Not sure why people don't use it, just observations. I can be very much wrong. Not to back up my suggestion, just to show my chain of logic.

8 hours ago, goatt said:

To be absolutely honest, my original motivation was because I only see people use snow chester to store thermal stone in summer. I've never seen anyone actually store food items in snow chester in pub server. It's my anecdotal experience, not always true for everyone. But I'm just telling you what I got.

Can't speak for pubs as I barely ever play them but I personally use Snow Chester almost exclusively for his spoilage perk. I do also use him to cool down thermals in summer but thats nowhere near as important as the food thing to me personally. Having a portable fridge is super useful. I used to always use Shadow Chester for additional storage but once I realised the glorious power of Snow Chester I never went back. 

5 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

pubs

I think one big problem with using Chester in pub is that you can’t log off and leave stuff behind in Chester.

if you actually use Chester, it means you don’t have enough inventory without Chester. When you log off, you don’t know who will take Chester and what will happen to your stuff. So usually Chester in pub is a transportation / utility tool, but not as real storage expansion. But that problem doesn’t exist in private servers.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, Hornete said:

It sounds a bit too niche for my tastes personally, if it had other uses then I feel I'd like it. (I imagine the point of this is for the thermal fishes yes?)

I feel I'd rather take a lunar mutation chester as it represents RoT as a whole. As for what lunar mutated chester could do I'm not sure yet, but I think there's something fun you could do with that idea. Perhaps itd be the non-event exclusive way of mutating things into their lunar counterparts, perhaps even a secondary effect of chester having an innate revive.

Well, if we're having more Chester variants then I'd definitely love to see some fiery Chester if anything, maybe by heating Chester to a certain degree with a red gem/scale within on a full moon instead of just relying on his inventory. It could be the DST variant of Packim Baggims and the much needed trashcan item as it could incinerate any stored item that does not have a cooked variant. Maybe the incineration function could even be triggered with a right click.

Archived