Filling watering can at ocean?

So you may not know this but if you are to hold a watering can over the ocean on pc it prompts the option to click to 'fill', and doing so within reach of the water's edge makes you do the swiping animation like harvesting twigs or grass, etc. The watering can does not get filled up, however, and I even noticed wormwood has a line saying the water isn't good enough for his friends, due to being salty.

But I 100% know I did fill up a watering can there just a few days ago which is what caused me to try again. I specifically remember saying "Oh wow I didn't know we could do that, wish I knew sooner" because in my main xbox world the ponds are so far away this would've saved tons of time. 

So what I'm wondering is if this is a mod or something that allows filling up at the ocean, but I always sort servers by no mods, so maybe a mod this small would've not counted?

Either that, or my super laggy computer has to do with it, somehow being so laggy it ignored the fact that you aren't supposed to be able to do it. I checked wikipedia for watering cans and found no mention of the ability to fill up at ocean water or even try to do so. I find it odd they programmed it to say fill specifically at the edge of water, just to always block you.

14 minutes ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

I checked wikipedia for watering cans and found no mention of the ability to fill up at ocean water or even try to do so. I find it odd they programmed it to say fill specifically at the edge of water, just to always block you.

At no point did it ever allow you to fill the bucket with salt water.

The line is there to tell you that specifically in case the player tries just that.

As for how yours got filled, your guess is as best as mine.

16 minutes ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

So what I'm wondering is if this is a mod or something that allows filling up at the ocean, but I always sort servers by no mods, so maybe a mod this small would've not counted?

maybe was a bug or a mod but we were never allowed to fill the can in the ocean, salty water isnt good for plants

Yes that's part of the reason I had never tried before, I assumed it wouldn't work, and I love my boy wormwood to mistreat his plants. Then one day my brother just suggested, why don't you fill it at the ocean in a server where we didn't know where any water source was, and it just worked.

I have never played with mods but can someone who is in the know fill me in on how it works. Like if your server has mods do you have to mark it as a modded server, or is it automatically detected? It's possible this is a quality of life mod like the ability to zoom out farther or quickly mention your stats and items in chat, but as I understand it those are clientside  mods which can be used without labelling a server as modded, because they can't affect other people, whereas being able to fill a can at ocean does affect everyone so I'd assume you would get sorted out for using mods...

I have no clue how or why I was able to do it.

25 minutes ago, SmallBirdHungry said:

Like if your server has mods do you have to mark it as a modded server, or is it automatically detected? It's possible this is a quality of life mod like the ability to zoom out farther or quickly mention your stats and items in chat, but as I understand it those are clientside  mods which can be used without labelling a server as modded, because they can't affect other people, whereas being able to fill a can at ocean does affect everyone so I'd assume you would get sorted out for using mods...

Server-side mods are auto-marked as having server-side mods.

Users wanting to join such world will see that as well as what mods are enabled on the server.

By the way, I don’t understand why not, the watering can is used not only for watering, you can simply make a mark on the watering can that there is salt water and remove it when the player draws water from the reservoir. thus, salt water can be used to put out fires in the ocean or somewhere on the island if the water runs out. and for watering the plant you need to collect fresh water

Yeah it would be cool if you could use salt water to put out fires still, or even if waterfowl can got a buff so it could automatically filter the ocean water into usable water. I've seen so many people complain that the upgraded watering can isn't worth it, so this could make it better.

Archived