Add Option for Switching Back to Old Crafting Menu

An option in settings page of the game to change crafting menu to old one, while the new one is kept as default.

The new design is great for new-players, and for sort of games that are sandbox and chill, while their genre is mostly creating stuff rather than adventure, but in DST you need the fastest crafting to move on, otherwise you will not catch up with the game; That is why I want the old menu, and I'm pretty sure many other people want that too, since it was efficient, extremely tidy and fast, and I had no problem using it for almost 3000 hours of playing the game.

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

to craft as fast, if not faster

Like, way-way faster honestly. With the new quick-craft "pages" you have, you can craft things without scrolling for ages like you would with the old system. The new system is much easier on the devs as well, the only reason they added a new ui was because they had no intention of going back.

22 hours ago, Wxwinston said:

but in DST you need the fastest crafting to move on,

Which is why I love the new UI! The pinned recipes alone speed up crafting at least 20x and that's ignoring how much better the tabs are now. It was so slow to open the tab that you needed to memorize then scroll through a one-wide selection of overly large art of the item to find what you're looking for. Now you have a large grid with sensible tabs, and you can even have a favorites tab if the pins aren't enough!

The old UI isn't compatible with the new one, by the way. They can't let you change back as it wasn't just an aesthetic change.

14 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Which is why I love the new UI! The pinned recipes alone speed up crafting at least 20x and that's ignoring how much better the tabs are now. It was so slow to open the tab that you needed to memorize then scroll through a one-wide selection of overly large art of the item to find what you're looking for. Now you have a large grid with sensible tabs, and you can even have a favorites tab if the pins aren't enough!

The old UI isn't compatible with the new one, by the way. They can't let you change back as it wasn't just an aesthetic change.

That is why it should be kept as default for new players, since they can't memorize the tabs; But for me the older one was efficient and fast, it didn't show me what I need for something or it's describtions in very large text and icons, instead, it just gave me the item.

Another problem is the amount of screen the new UI takes, which is same compared to the older one while it had 4 branches of tabs open.

There is good reason to want the classic UI, and good reason to want the new one, this post is not asking for removal of it, but an added option for the classic one, extremely important and needed that is.

33 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

There is good reason to want the classic UI

Not really. The only reasons you listed are blatantly untrue (old one is much slower regardless of experience) and something that has a slider in the options menu. Try the new menu out before immediately asking for the old one back.

33 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

this post is not asking for removal of it, but an added option for the classic one,

14 hours ago, Cheggf said:

13 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Not really. The only reasons you listed are blatantly untrue (old one is much slower regardless of experience) and something that has a slider in the options menu. Try the new menu out before immediately asking for the old one back.

I've played with the new menu for more than 4 hours, painful hours that is; It gives me more detail and categorization than I need as a Veteran player, it takes half of the screen everytime I open it.

And yes it is indeed much slower, because you pin items instead of tabs on the side of the screen, but one needs a lot of items to make, but those items need their raw materials first, for example you need to make a rope before a spear, so you need to pin the rope too, otherwise you have to open the crafting menu again then come back, which defeats the entire purpose of pinning, and if you do pin all the raw materials too, it will take around 9 clicks back and forth to pinned tabs everytime you make anything; If you use favorites tab, the pinning is left useless and you have to block half of screen everytime to craft something.

4 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

And yes it is indeed much slower, because you pin items instead of tabs on the side of the screen, but one needs a lot of items to make

You have 10 pin tabs each with 10 items. And a favorites tab. And the crafting tabs show reasonably sized artwork in a grid instead of enormous art in a straight line.

You can't honestly think the old one was faster.

5 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

but those items need their raw materials first

No they don't, trying to craft an item will craft its prerequisites unlike the old menu.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You have 10 pin tabs each with 10 items. And a favorites tab. And the crafting tabs show reasonably sized artwork in a grid instead of enormous art in a straight line.

It's not about the amount of tabs, it's the scrolling it takes to get to them, and the disconnection between them and the favorites tab, while before it was done only by a fast hovering manuver on the run!

The artwork is fine with the UI, it's the empty space that makes it bigger than needed, there are categories with only one or two items in it, with one inch of the page empty, there is artwork and a single line describing of it that takes half of the menu, instead of being compact and practical.

As neurodivergent people, me and my friends have struggled to adapt to the new UI, it might be faster for people who are even able to adapt but the old one was certainly easier to use without throwing a lot of information on the screen that we will have to learn again from the start and demanding that we organize all of it, the scrolling through tabs until you find what you need, and the process of setting up the tabs is really complicated to us who were adapted to the old one, it basically rendered the game unplayable, because it is a real pain not being able to just play the way we used to, it is way slower to do anything in the new UI, and not everyone has all that time available to just learn everything again, it is not as easy or intuitive as any of you claim 

I think adding sub-categories within each basic category (where applicable) would have solved the issues that necessitated the new UI better, without being a huge departure from the familiar.

IIRC, the reason for the new UI was because of bloated categories and the time it takes to reach one end from the other in some cases; new kinds of items and difficulty fitting them into existing categories. I don't know if it would have been feasible, but being able to have the existing categories branch into specific sections seems to me to be a much more flexible and intuitive solution. Of course, this hypothetical new UI would keep improvements like programmable quick-menus and crafting needed components through recipes requiring them.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

pinned recipes can help you while you get use to craft as fast, if not faster, as before with the new filters

I think pinned recipes can be fused into old crafting menu.

13 hours ago, billvonw said:

As neurodivergent people, me and my friends have struggled to adapt to the new UI

+1

We (or I) are pretty much left behind. People will tell us that we will get used to it one day. But the fact that we, as the players who are supposed to have fun conquering game challenges, spend lots energy conquering the menu UI, is a failure of recognition of users' requirement.

I think the old UI can be easily brought back as an option. But since Klei thinks new UI's good, and majority of the community thinks it's good, it's okay to deny our access to old UI that we are familiar with, it's okay to force us to go through the struggles which can be easily resolved otherwise.

No one is stopping you from using new UI, and no one is stopping you from promoting it in the community. But is denying access to old UI a good way of promotion? Sadly, I can't agree.

If your grandmother thinks bigger fonts are better on her cellphone is better, then bigger fonts are better, no matter how you feel. You will let her use bigger fonts even tho they are ugly in your eyes.

Why do you have to force something you think is better on people who dislike it?

On 6/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, . . . said:

the new ui is better than the old one

If you are an experienced player, who is used to the old menu. This will be untrue. New players getting into the game and have spent years on minecraft probably will find this easier. 

On 6/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, . . . said:

the new ui is better than the old one

Not even close. New ui is garbage 

On 6/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

image.png.4410bda2c0c7e0eb9ceec950053feec5.png

image.png.5a8f29dc5a497a5e7731cacb60f5ea08.png

the new menu is better than the old one 

Playing on steam, yes I can see how this is alot better, a quick click of the mouse. Console play it's a hot mess. I just can't see the majority of  experienced players wanting this on PlayStation or Xbox. Maybe I'm in the minority here. Been playing since 2013 and I may have to quit cause it's that bad a change. 

I gave DST a break and fired up Hamlet a while ago and played up to ending the Aporkalypse, and I have to agree, the speed and precision of the old UI is not only vastly preferable, but also already includes an in-UI system of nested categories, specifically for the Slanty Shanty remodeling. If Klei could just use that system to clean up and refine any overbloated categories in DST before the present UI overwrote the superior one, and tack on the ability to pin a few recipes that the new UI added, I think that would be as close to perfect as you could get.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:30 AM, Martinarse said:

Playing on steam, yes I can see how this is alot better, a quick click of the mouse. Console play it's a hot mess. I just can't see the majority of  experienced players wanting this on PlayStation or Xbox. Maybe I'm in the minority here. Been playing since 2013 and I may have to quit cause it's that bad a change. 

Exactly, the new UI is a mess with controllers. Even more so with the Steam controller that has a track pad instead of the second joystick.

Archived