Update 497575 on March 3 broke a huge number of mods, yeah? Not just me? (edit: yeah it was just me)

Edit: Turns out I just needed to completely reinstall ONI. Oh well...

(I may have my history slightly wrong here, not completely sure it was this update rather than the previous one. I know for sure that things aren't working now though!)

Just eyeballing it, it looks like probably >1/3 of the mods I use became "out of date" with the March 3 update. When it was released I had some slim hope that maybe all the save-game-breaking ones, at least, would be updated sooner rather than later (or ever), but almost two weeks later I think I can give up on that hope.

I'm not the only one who finds this really frustrating, am I? My save that was into the many hundreds of cycles is basically toast now, and even if I were to give up on that one and start anew, I'm now apprehensive about leaving the mods that still work *now* enabled, since I'd now consider it more likely than I did before that some other breaking change will be introduced in another "hotfix" that makes lots of other mods unusable. And when I contemplate having to put up with ONI with no mods whatsoever (or at least only those that I would *hope* don't make a save unusable if an interface they use has a breaking change, but then who knows if I'll be right about that 100% of the time) ... I'd kind of rather just play something else for now, frankly.

I guess this thread is me begging Klei to keep the mod-facing stuff backward-compatible in general, for the seemingly small fraction of your players that like to use mods, or at least until he have the "previous version" branch that's intended to help with this issue. Or if that's just not going to happen, how about a detailed explanation of why this is the way it needs to be, beyond "we need to improve our codebase"? I engineer some software in my day job, and while I can imagine a few reasons it might be a little different in this context compared to what I'm used to, I've usually found it's not *that* much harder to add functionality to existing things without breaking them for everyone that was using them, or in the worst case just define a new similar thing alongside the old thing and keep both around for a good long while and prompt anyone using the old thing that they really should switch to the new thing (with less assurance that bug fixes will be applied to both things even before the old thing is deprecated, of course).

8 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Are you on the beta-preview branch? If so, you can roll back to stable. Nearly every mod is still working there. I had the same issue.

Nope, good thought though. The title screen says I'm on 498381, from March 9.

10 hours ago, Aki Art said:

Most mods are in working order.

Please make sure you use Mod Updater v2.5.0.0 (if you get 2.4 get it from their github instead), most likely you just have a bunch of outdated mods.

Also a good thought, but no, I'm on Mod Updater version 2.5.0.0, and it actually succeeded at identifying a few mods that needed updating when I launched the game last night. I'm open to the possibility that there's some unusual me-specific problem that isn't one of these two most likely problems, but it's not clear to me what that'd be yet.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of mods I was using until the recent update broke them, i.e. they're listed as "out-of-date" and I'm not allowed to enable them, which maybe others can either confirm or deny aren't working on the latest version:

- Insulated Door
- Refined Metals Usable As Raw Metals
- No 'Long Commutes'
- No Leaky Walls
- Less Waste From Jetpacks
- Suit Docks Store 75kg Oxygen
- Simpler Pip Plant Rule
- Wounded Go To Med Bed
- Custom Temperature Overlay
- Buildable Dirt Tile
- Fixed Camera Pan
- Suppress Notifications
- Duplicant Room Sensor
- Reset Build Priority
- Better Air Filters
- Bigger Building Menu
- Buildable POI Props

(You'll note that all of these were last updated earlier than 2022, so anything to do with Mod Updater is probably not the issue.)

Not all mods break every update. All of the mods that you listed that are mine (no long commutes, refined metals usable as raw, less waste, suit docks, wounded go to bed, bigger building menu and poi props) are up to date and do not need an update.

Out of your list, I use "No long commutes", "Wounded Go To Med Bed", "Suppress Notifications"  and "Bigger Building Menu", and they are definitely in working order.

What do you mean by "they're listed as "out-of-date" and I'm not allowed to enable them"? Could you post a screenshot of your mods list?

18 minutes ago, Cairath said:

Not all mods break every update. All of the mods that you listed that are mine (no long commutes, refined metals usable as raw, less waste, suit docks, wounded go to bed, bigger building menu and poi props) are up to date and do not need an update.

I know lots of mods breaking with an update isn't really the norm, but it seemed that was what happened here...

16 minutes ago, Fradow said:

Out of your list, I use "No long commutes", "Wounded Go To Med Bed", "Suppress Notifications"  and "Bigger Building Menu", and they are definitely in working order.

What do you mean by "they're listed as "out-of-date" and I'm not allowed to enable them"? Could you post a screenshot of your mods list?

Exciting! So it seemingly is a "me problem".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ONI and, lo and behold, all these mods are no longer shown as "out-of-date" (screenshot of one of the few mods still showing this is attached, but that one is "supposed to" be "out-of-date" right now IIRC). I suppose I'll have to keep that in mind as yet another thing to try the next time I see a broken mod. (Neglected to back up my mods.json so that'll take an hour or two to put back in order... sigh.)

Thanks for helping me debug, everyone.

ONI mod out-of-date.png

Archived