Please add an option for creating Unlisted worlds.

When playing a lot of my friends and I have to make our worlds public to allow friends of friends to join which we prefer if we could make our worlds unlisted then only people we invite or our friends invite could join instead of anyone and we feel bad for having to KICK randoms when they join..

It would be great if there could be an unlisted server option then your world acts like a public world, but it does not show up on the browsing server listing. 

1 hour ago, Auth said:

Just add a password. That's what they're there for.

And even if the password is something really simple to guess like password it's enough to keep people out and let them know they're not welcome. If anyone guesses the password it should come as no surprise to them when they get kicked, unlike a fully open world where the implication is that they can join.

We don't want our server to show up on the server browsing list while still allowing anyone we invite to join. So passwords don't really work, unfortunately. :(

I mean it will work for randoms so that's a start, but still another thing remains so unlisted servers would still be nice to have.

1 hour ago, . . . said:

We don't want our server to show up on the server browsing list while still allowing anyone we invite to join. So passwords don't really work, unfortunately. :(

I mean it will work for randoms so that's a start, but still another thing remains so unlisted servers would still be nice to have.

Why don't you want it to show up on the server browser? Anyone who has the browser filtered to hide passworded servers won't see it and anyone who doesn't will see that it's passworded and not try to join. It's not like you're making the server name your home address or something.

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why don't you want it to show up on the server browser? Anyone who has the browser filtered to hide passworded servers won't see it and anyone who doesn't will see that it's passworded and not try to join. It's not like you're making the server name your home address or something.

That's like asking why did Steam allow people to set their mods as unlisted when they can make them friends only? It's there to give more options to players, that's all there is to it. It's that simple.

Many games already have an "invite only" private lobby option when hosting a game, I see no reason DST can't have an "invite only" or unlisted option as well.

5 hours ago, . . . said:

Many games already have an "invite only" private lobby option when hosting a game, I see no reason DST can't have an "invite only" or unlisted option as well.

You can "invite" people by sending them the password :)

6 hours ago, . . . said:

That's like asking why did Steam allow people to set their mods as unlisted when they can make them friends only?

No it's not. If you saw the current implementation of unlisted mods and then asked for a redundant feature like being able to search for it if you have a specific password that would be comparable.

Steam has friends only, unlisted, and public. DST has friends only, passworded, and public. Why do you need to make an unlisted server, what benefit does that have? What does it accomplish that a passworded server can't already do?

6 hours ago, . . . said:

Those games with invite only options will also be lacking a password option, I'm sure. They both accomplish the same thing. Not to mention the fact that in every game I've seen invite only is friends only since the host needs to invite them, unlike what you're suggesting.

The reason not to add it is because by your own admission by being unable to say why you want this feature it would accomplish nothing except cluttering the UI and wasting dev time.

11 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Steam has friends only, unlisted, and public. DST has friends only, passworded, and public. Why do you need to make an unlisted server, what benefit does that have? What does it accomplish that a passworded server can't already do?

It benefits by not showing up on the browsing list which's the main reason of wanting something to be unlisted.

11 hours ago, Cheggf said:

The reason not to add it is because by your own admission by being unable to say why you want this feature it would accomplish nothing except cluttering the UI and wasting dev time.

Any suggestion can be attributed as "wasting dev time" because that's just your personal opinion.

1 hour ago, Dr.Medic said:

why not friend your friends friends?

I like keeping my friend list down to only friend-friends which I'd actually talk to and stuff not acquaintances.

12 hours ago, Auth said:

You can "invite" people by sending them the password :)

Not the same as an unlisted server though :)

Nothing additional is being accomplished by it being unlisted, though, over using a password. If you're worried about people reading your server's name or description you can just not give it one or make it total gibberish, as that's really the only thing I can think of that unlisting would do over a password.

You've said using a password wouldn't work, but... I can't see how it couldn't. The password keeps out randoms while only allowing people in who know the password, which if they need to join through a friend, then the friend can send them the password upon request, as they obviously -need- to know it to be there in the first place.

At least try with the system that's already there and works, because so far it doesn't look like there's much purpose for an unlisted option. I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea or anything, it's just... does it actually matter at the moment?

14 minutes ago, Auth said:

it's just... does it actually matter at the moment?

Does anything matter? Who is the one who decides what matters and what does not? I simply suggested to have an unlisted world as an option if someone does not want anybody to see they are playing the game or anyone to see their server or mods they are using, that's all.

If there's currently any way to do this while being able to invite my friends and they can invite their own friends please do tell me.

10 hours ago, . . . said:

It benefits by not showing up on the browsing list which's the main reason of wanting something to be unlisted.

I've asked you several times why you don't want it to be listed and what problems arise from it being listed and every time you just say "if it's unlisted it's unlisted". Yes, of course the word you're saying means what the word you're saying means. That's been established. I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I've asked you several times why you don't want it to be listed and what problems arise from it being listed and every time you just say "if it's unlisted it's unlisted". Yes, of course the word you're saying means what the word you're saying means. That's been established. I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

You serious?

8 hours ago, . . . said:

I simply suggested to have an unlisted world as an option if someone does not want anybody to see they are playing the game or anyone to see their server or mods they are using, that's all.

Those are legitimate reasons. You're the one trolling me, dude.

Like dang dude do I have to just outright say it? ok, I don't want anyone to see my servers, the mods I am using, the name of the server, the description, who is on the server, what the server's gamemode is, what the server is max player count is, what the server is ping is while being able to play with anyone I actually want to play with because I want total privacy anybody else but those people we want to be invisible.

13 hours ago, . . . said:

If there's currently any way to do this while being able to invite my friends and they can invite their own friends please do tell me.

maybe setting the world as lan and connecting via hamachi? not worth imo, there should be an option to hide servers

edit. i think that even lan servers appears in the list for your friends but not sure

Archived