Storage bins in crew quarters still unresolved (and cargo module weirdness)

This is probably the thing that still bugs me the most about Spaced Out.  And not just the fact that having magical storage bins for cargo in crew containers exist because normally I avoid things that I consider to be exploitative.  So no problem, I'll avoid using them for more than simple hand-held stuff like seeds and critter eggs and I'll use cargo modules instead I figure.

Except that not only are cargo modules inferior in terms of rocket dynamics, storage capacity, etc. they also require you to build a conveyor rail to load them.

So then, can we at least please have a way to load cargo modules without needing a dupe with mechatronic engineering need to build conveyor rails on every rocket platform?  It's not just so bad that magical storage bins exist, but that their alternative is so vastly inferior in all aspects too.

Also concerning is that the payload opener is useless in a new colony if your astronaut is not also an mechatronic expert, and being both makes him going mental quickly by lack of moral. The payload opener needs either a manual emptying function or dupes need to be able to open the can without a building.

They can open the cargo pods manually but I've only done it using solids. I don't know what happens if a pod holding gas or liquid is opened manually. 

I too find the process of moving solids to a new planet to be a major weak area of rocketry. I often need to bring a variety of materials, but there's no intuitive way to do that.  I end up building multiple storage bins, setting them to max priority, disable sweep only, and adjust the slider.  Repeat for each material I want to bring. 

Either allowing storage bins to be partitioned (say 1000 kg plastic, 3000 kg steel, 10000 kg granite, etc), or reduce the size and burden of solid material rocket storage modules, in my opinion.

9 hours ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

They can open the cargo pods manually but I've only done it using solids. I don't know what happens if a pod holding gas or liquid is opened manually. 

Recently I dropped 4000kg of tungsten at 3700 C in one single bottle.

10 hours ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

Either allowing storage bins to be partitioned (say 1000 kg plastic, 3000 kg steel, 10000 kg granite, etc),

I think we need something like partitioning not only for storage cantainers but for all containers in a game, 'cause it is just a mess having different containers for different resources or not having possiblity to prioritize storage of different resources in same container. Also it applies for conveyor rail element sensor... It's just so unpractical that you cannot choose a category for example all eggs, or all raw mineral - instead of having bunch of sensors for each different egg or etc.

18 hours ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

I don't know what happens if a pod holding gas or liquid is opened manually. 

Luckily building pipes for gas or liquid doesn`t require mechatronics training. The payload opener is the main reason i keep suggesting that conveyor rails and shutes shouldn`t require mechatronics. Those are pretty simple structures working exactly like pipes. If any dupe could build those it would greatly help with making new colonies.

I really do not see the problem. You can have a limited number of bins for basically manual use only in the crew module. I currently can fit 4 (!) in my 2 dupe colonizer. That can be extended by putting temp-shift plates on the walls. You can also have containers that are accessible for automation in the rocket itself. These two different approaches strike me as an entirely sensible arrangement that does work well. 

But careful before you read the next thing, it may blow your mind!

Spoiler

You can have near infinite solid storage in the crew module by dropping things on the floor! And, worse, the crew module is big enough for an infinite gas storage or an infinite liquid store! And it is even possible to automatize these as the crew modules have liquid inputs and outputs!

Quick proof of concept with life-support for one dupe omitted below. Obviously life-support can be put in or you can eject the dupe via trailblazer after launch. Arrangement can also be done vertically.

Gas (I put in the wrong doors, ignore that):

infinigas.png.db54635b9edce78b190a2cd26a986594.png

Liquid (assumes outer walls no not break):

infiniliquid.png.8601d11bd203d6a94db2b4b4493d917a.png

Seriously, some people actively look for problems and then blow the tiny things they find all out of proportion. There is really nothing "unresolved" here. Things are not broken. 

@GurgelI don't see anyone claiming something is broken.  The OP is commenting on the peculiar fact that dropping things on the floor is so VASTLY superior to using rocket cargo modules that it is basically pointless to use cargo modules.  I happen to agree with that perspective.

Not only are the rocket modules more time consuming to load (20 kg per loader per second) but the shipping rail requirement necessitates a mechatronics engineer.  Storage bins in the crew module take substantially less time and infrastructure to fill, do not use up rocket height or add burden, and the loading can be done by every dupe.

I happen to like loading up my crew module with storage bins but it does seem a bit counter intuitive that the purpose built cargo modules are so underwhelming. 

I'd love to see those cargo containers made smaller, and reduce capacity too. If each was 1 height and could hold say 5000 kg, then in the same 5-height space you would have the same approximate storage capacity as the current large storage module, but it would be easier to store different types of solids.  

Heck, I'd argue even larger storage capacity wouldn't be unbalanced since as you say, just drop stuff inside for infinite capacity.

Sometimes I use the cargo module, and sometimes I use storage bins. This is my first play through not using infinite gas or liquid storage. I really enjoy the flexibility to make play my own way with my own self imposed rules. (Also, my base is currently half flooded, but I’m working on it, haha)

12 hours ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

20 kg per loader per second

Totally blew my mind, this means I can have 10 loaders and fill my rocket up in 1/10th the time. Nice!

Just like having 10 research stations to complete research in one cycle. Haha, I haven’t built multiple research stations in a while but I remember it having a use for me.

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Sometimes I use the cargo module, and sometimes I use storage bins. This is my first play through not using infinite gas or liquid storage. I really enjoy the flexibility to make play my own way with my own self imposed rules. (Also, my base is currently half flooded, but I’m working on it, haha)

Totally blew my mind, this means I can have 10 loaders and fill my rocket up in 1/10th the time. Nice!

Just like having 10 research stations to complete research in one cycle. Haha, I haven’t built multiple research stations in a while but I remember it having a use for me.

I use 3 gas loaders for oxygen to fill gas tanks.  A bigger oxygen production setup is needed (6 pumps, 4 electrolyzers, 3 separate lines of O2), but the time saving on loading gas is huge.

Archived