Question about Rover usage

Has anyone tried to send up a rocket on their starting asteroid to drop down rovers to aid their initial colony? From what i can tell there is a refined metals cost but i heard you get those back after the rover shuts down and is deconstructed. Is this a viable strategy for artificially increasing "dupe" count?

3 hours ago, TitaniumSun said:

Has anyone tried to send up a rocket on their starting asteroid to drop down rovers to aid their initial colony? From what i can tell there is a refined metals cost but i heard you get those back after the rover shuts down and is deconstructed. Is this a viable strategy for artificially increasing "dupe" count?

I guess it should work with no problems. Although you will not get back all of the metal used. You can deconstruct rover, but not the rovers landing module. Or at least it was like that last time I've tried. But it still can be useful for surface works, as an option for saving dupes from radiation and probably saving some time if you still don't have atmosuits.

Tha landing module should be deconstructable too now.

But what we need is a recharching station for that things. And no, they are not a replacement for dupes. They are limited for what tasks they can perform. So they would only be useful for the minor tasks like light digging and light building or cleaning. For everything else you need dupes. And they are much slower, and wont gain experience in anything. So they will always be just an addition for any colony nothing more. But an addition worth the material i guess. If we could recharge them that is.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Tha landing module should be deconstructable too now.

But what we need is a recharching station for that things. And no, they are not a replacement for dupes. They are limited for what tasks they can perform. So they would only be useful for the minor tasks like light digging and light building or cleaning. For everything else you need dupes. And they are much slower, and wont gain experience in anything. So they will always be just an addition for any colony nothing more. But an addition worth the material i guess. If we could recharge them that is.

I guess I was hoping they could work in areas that are too hot/cold or too far away for my dupes, since it takes me forever to get to oil/glossy dreks -> plastic -> travel tubes. I was reading recently that they upped the mining ability a little for the rovers to get through at least granite, maybe igneous. The biggest thing i was hoping for was "dupe" labor out in the space biome, to start getting areas ready like living areas etc so my dupes could make the move up, without having to actually send them on an adventure.

They're of limited use with hot areas since they can't dig anything but the most basic material. Their positives are they work non-stop and with no flinch animations, meaning on new bases with tasks in areas with little/no oxygen they could easily match the work output of 3+ dupes

Archived