Crock Pot Food Values - Pumpkin Cookie

Don't Starve is as delightful as it is cynical. The cooking system is incredible, simple to pick up, though it requires an immense amount of time and dedication to master. There are a large variety of dishes within the game, however very few get the time of day that they deserve.. However there are also some dishes that aren't seen very often, and I truly believe they would be if given the proper incentive to cook them.

A Pumpkin Cookie is a Food item, which is cooked in a Crock Pot by combining, +1 Pumpkin /+2 Honey (or Honeycomb) /+1 Filler (I use twigs, though a berry/ice/monster meat/etc is acceptable).  This dish takes 40 seconds to cook, and provides +0 HP /+37.5 Hunger /+15 Sanity.

A Raw Pumpkin and 2 Honey provides a total of +9 HP/+56.25 Hunger /+0 Sanity. If you spend 3 extra seconds cooking the Pumpkin, add +5HP for a total of +14HP. You gain far more Hunger Value, in addition to saving yourself nearly a minute of your precious time (not having to load the ingredients into the crockpot and having to wait for them to cook). These values arent even taking into consideration the 4th ingredient either. A Cooked Green Mushroom or Cooked Cactus Flesh can provide the +15 Sanity very easily, let alone several other dishes that I would just outright rather cook.

All I suggest is that some Crock Pot foods have their stat values reevaluated. I understand not every food should have an abundance of additional values, more than the sum of their ingredients, just for cooking them. However I can not understand why they would have less (with the exception of "newb trap" foods, such as ratatouille and kebabs or a very unfortunately combined fist full of jam).

A few Crock Pot foods i would consider in dire need of a stat tweaking include; fish tacos, unagi, stuffed eggplant, and of course pumpkin cookies.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments, concerns, please engage in the comments below. 

As always, thank you for your time and consideration. 

I'd like to see pumpkin cookies output 3(like jellybeans) and then lower their hunger to 12.5. This way, not only can you share among your friends, but you get 45 sanity for putting in the effort of farming and using a pumpkin instead of honey to create cookies instead of taffy.(which nets you only 15 sanity)

On 12/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, Hornete said:

I'd like to see pumpkin cookies output 3(like jellybeans) and then lower their hunger to 12.5. This way, not only can you share among your friends, but you get 45 sanity for putting in the effort of farming and using a pumpkin instead of honey to create cookies instead of taffy.(which nets you only 15 sanity)

Honestly if they could output 3 cookies, I would settle with 10 hunger, 10 sanity, 0 hp. Thats a really great idea. 

Are Jelly beans the only recipe we have that cooks in multiples?

Honestly considering that you have to build crockpots (yes they're cheap but they aren't free and you need a handful to really efficiently cook meals en masse) first, then learn the actual recipes via trial and error, online research or using the cook book then you have to invest time (cooking time of each meal) I feel like the vast majority of crockpot meals except those that are sort of meant to be traps should out perform the combined sum of their ingredients even if just by a little. 

Personally it just doesn't make sense to me that just living off honey and jerky is so much more effective, easy and time saving than bothering to ever cook proper meals. If you aren't playing as Wigfrid (who I main most of the time) there's no real need or benefit to using crockpot meals over raw food sources. Why even make pierogi the so called king of healing foods when you could heal so much more from say two roasted potatoes/tomatoes and a piece of jerky while also getting a ton more hunger and sanity while you're at it? Yeah you can use mushrooms or cactus or something instead but those individually can give more sanity and hunger with the jerky and cooked egg included and almost as much health.

So yeah certain crockpots meals have great longevity and might last a lot longer than the food used to create them but you can just bundle wrap raw foods and they last as long as you want them to. 

Crockpot meals and cooking in general needs a small overhaul in my opinion. I've said it before and it was certainly an unpopular opinion but I'll say it again; I think a part of the overhaul should include very slightly nerfing the values of certain  individual non-crockpots foods while also slightly buffing most crockpots meals. There needs to be more incentive to actually use crockpots and cook proper meals.

To be clear I don't think Jerky needs any change as you do need to build racks and wait (for ages in spring because of the rain) but certain veggies and fruits or even types of raw/cooked meats shouldn't be quite as beneficial as they are while most vegetable based crockpots dishes and certain meat based ones should be better than they currently are. 

I just think the system needs a minor overhaul to encourage crockpots dishes more, it just logically doesn't seem right that the majority of veggie and fruit dishes are honestly pretty garbage compared to the ingredients used on their own. Other than a handful of specific dishes that are amazing there's little point investing time and energy into using crockpots with the vast majority of characters.

As I main Wig I utilize crockpots a ton but it's mainly because of her diet and to save storage space. Also because I love the sprites for so many of the crock pot dishes. Anytime I play anyone else though I live off a combo of honey and jerky alongside literally just cooking and eating raw ingredients I find along the way and it's insanely effective I pretty much never touch my crockpots except to make jellybeans.

EDIT: Forgot about Warly... crockpots become utterly essential

Archived