Dear, daily, deadly - WATER!

I want to start a discussion about water, like any water, clean, polluted, salty, brine. I know it is not a rocket science and probably everybody knows same things, using same tips and tricks... And most likely there was discussion about it, but I am too lazy to search old topic, and just creating new one.

So what I wish is to hear everyone opinion best ways of cleaning water, storing water, wasting water, multiplying water, finding some unconventional sources of water.

By cleaning I mean making water from PW, SW or brine. I find it best to boil everything in one place just to not care about filtering and separating PW from SW and brine. Any other ways?

Storage: of course infinite storage is the best if using exploits. But I'm thinking more about something different. Simple way is to build liquid reservoir and fill same space with water. But maybe there are some other more sophisticated means?

About wasting water... Seriously what to do with too much water? I now I can grow food or pump it in oil reservoir, make oxygen and hydrogen from it. I am using the last one, but it's so damn slow... I'm running 5 electrolyzers for ~400 cycles or longer, but cannot deal with initial water on map (And this is in moonlet cluster with small asteroid) I literally have hundreds tons of oxygen and even tons of hydrogen although it was and still is, my main source of power. When I got my hands on bristle blossom and sleet wheat I started to grow them as well but there is still too much water... So any ways to wisely waste lots of water? Without pumping it to space...

About multiplying I know only sour gas boiler... Any other schemes?

Unconventional sources of renewable water for me it's wild Arbor trees... You can make ethanol, burn it, and get some water. Is there any other sources like that?

Will be interesting to hear some stories about water issues ;)

I used to take each type of water and create a container for it depending upon how much I had. This often resulted in some rather excessive water storage areas and my philosophy was that it was better to store it and ensure I generated the maximum amount than to reduce potential resource gain. Then I had to pump it back out of that spot for use. I had a lot of automation and complex systems managing the flow of that water, supplementing other sources when one source went dormant, etc. 

Now I've changed how I manage all that. I usually default to limiting water usage based on production from specific sources. i.e. I take a source of water and decide I'm going to put everything from that source into x, y, z uses. I make limited systems that are self sufficient and aren't as interdependent. I always make sure my use is not going to exceed production of those sources so they never fail. Far less automation required. I also try to use those sources as exactly what they are instead of converting if possible, so limited sieves or desalination resulting in no power or systems required to refine it and then transfer it elsewhere. I also utilize the heat or chill to do things for me instead of building systems to manage heat. i.e. In my last game I had a cool slush geyser next to a hot polluted oxygen vent. I setup a system to cycle that water in radiant pipes through the contained polluted oxygen vent and would pump out the water and oxygen once they were both at the temps I wanted. I'm doing the same with a cool salt slush geyser in my current game with a cool steam vent.

In short, minimize cleaning systems unless necessary, only store what's necessary, only produce what's necessary.

Well for unconventional fabrication of water I got:

-Wild Hydrocactus (experimental plant that maybe won't make it to the release) producing as much as 3.05 kg of water per cycle, when including its oxygen consumption.

-Polluted oxygen to water. turning to slime, then distil it into algae and polluted water then to the sieve. sources of polluted oxygen are rotting food, outhouses or the polluted oxygen vents, using the vents you get like 28 kg of water per cycle from the whole process, and algae.

-turning calories into water. Experiment 52b (the hungry tree) makes resin which is 75% water when boiled, turning 200 Calories (from something which doesn't use any water) to 1 kg of resin or 0.75 kg of water.         Taking meal wood as an example you could turn 10 kg of dirt into 0.75 kg of water per cycle per plant as one meal wood only produces 200 Calories per cycle.

-mining from space POIs, several of these have ice, polluted water, brine or salt water, it just cost you diamond at a ratio of 1 kg of diamond per 20 kg of resources mined. 1 ton of diamond in the drill cone gives you 20 tons of resources.

For filtering I would be interested in the gulp fish method for polluted water, if the fish didn't instantly froze into a block of ice and made all sorts of problems, even deleting water. Could we get a fix for this soon? they filter 200 grams of polluted water per second, and can also do a little cooling because they equalize the temperature of the water with their bodies, if you keep them away from the hot polluted water but close enough to absorb it, the heat transfer to their bodies is much less so they delete heat.

Wasting water: let me think for a second... Ahh. Make an artificial ice biome by freezing lots of water, with wild sleet wheat, wheezeworts and all.

I probably played the game 1000 hours before I discovered that you can run polluted water through a desalinator without damaging it, and likewise for the water sieve with brine and salt water.  OMG, that made things so much simpler for me.

Either way, for most water purification I boil it.  Requires no labor or resources that way, only power, which I usually have a surplus of.  Generally, I use whatever surplus water I have to mass produce berry sludge as that only requires a trivial amount of dirt and never goes bad.  

17 hours ago, goboking said:

Turn it into polluted water via carbon skimmers if you’re producing enough CO2, then use that to irrigate thimble reeds

Sounds like CO2 wasting for me... Already have 8 or 10 timble reeds growing, they don't consume much water... And I don't have lot's of space to build huge farms producing materials that I do already have in abundance. But yeah, timble reed are nice in using PW, one could use all toilet water from 10 dupes... But I have 2 slush geysers, opened them up to have some early-mid game cooling until plastic become available. So wasting water is my main focus in that colony. I am playing on radioactive ocean moonlet cluster with lot's of starting salty water, and one salt water geyser was open from very start, could not reach it early enough to shut it down, just builded insulated tiles and let him overpressurize naturally, and second salt water geyser which I opened because I wanted salt for rust deoxidizer setup. Also using steam rockets, but they use such tiny amounts of steam, you could say they run on nothing. I guess I could be possibly multiplying water when using steam engine rockets.

16 hours ago, JRup said:

Polluted water is also used to make clay, then ceramic...

Yes, I have a lot of deodorizers on Swampy asteroid, because it's the best way to produce oxygen in there... Most of the asteroid is PW, PD or Polluted Mud... With two first I can literally don't do anything, and they will provide me with tons of PO for hundreds of cycles. Although to make ceramics you also need lot's of sand and considerable amount of coal... Unless you proposing to build ceramifier... Which would be great by the way same heat could boil my salty water and brine... Producing salt, to make sand to feed deodorizers, sounds pretty good.

20 hours ago, blueberry pi said:

For filtering I would be interested in the gulp fish method for polluted water, if the fish didn't instantly froze into a block of ice and made all sorts of problems, even deleting water. Could we get a fix for this soon? they filter 200 grams of polluted water per second, and can also do a little cooling because they equalize the temperature of the water with their bodies, if you keep them away from the hot polluted water but close enough to absorb it, the heat transfer to their bodies is much less so they delete heat.

I had some gulp fishes by the cool slush geyser, constantly freezing them selfes in to ice... Did not find time to care enough about that, to build a robominer or to make proper aquarium with temperature control... But someday I will. For the moment boiling is better because I also have lot's of salty water, which I don't want to bother filtering, and boiling use power which I need to consume, to use petroleum generator and ethanol distiler to provide CO2 for beetas to make some sweet hazardous radiation in to radbolts and eventually diamonds.

20 hours ago, blueberry pi said:

Wasting water: let me think for a second... Ahh. Make an artificial ice biome by freezing lots of water, with wild sleet wheat, wheezeworts and all.

Well this is awesome idea, I had a thought about freezing water, but making all biome sounds much more interesting.

I could even grow Saturn critter traps there to make immense amounts of hydrogen... Although when I think about it, how much time energy and resources should be used, and hours of pips planting micromanaging, making ice rooms with ethanol liquid locks, for hydrogen, or for additional rad generator setup with wild wheezworts, sleet wheat farms, sleeping beetas hive, and natural springs with bristle blossoms in between artificial ice biome and living space...

But why stop there... There could be pools of liquid oxygen and hydrogen... Wouldn't that looked amazing - having your LOX and LH production in a specific design using natural ice tiles instead of anything else... Also it would be a great challenge. This idea made my day! Thanks - thumbs up!

On 11/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, WhiteWind36 said:

I want to start a discussion about water, like any water, clean, polluted, salty, brine. I know it is not a rocket science and probably everybody knows same things, using same tips and tricks... And most likely there was discussion about it, but I am too lazy to search old topic, and just creating new one.

So what I wish is to hear everyone opinion best ways of cleaning water, storing water, wasting water, multiplying water, finding some unconventional sources of water.

By cleaning I mean making water from PW, SW or brine. I find it best to boil everything in one place just to not care about filtering and separating PW from SW and brine. Any other ways?

Storage: of course infinite storage is the best if using exploits. But I'm thinking more about something different. Simple way is to build liquid reservoir and fill same space with water. But maybe there are some other more sophisticated means?

About wasting water... Seriously what to do with too much water? I now I can grow food or pump it in oil reservoir, make oxygen and hydrogen from it. I am using the last one, but it's so damn slow... I'm running 5 electrolyzers for ~400 cycles or longer, but cannot deal with initial water on map (And this is in moonlet cluster with small asteroid) I literally have hundreds tons of oxygen and even tons of hydrogen although it was and still is, my main source of power. When I got my hands on bristle blossom and sleet wheat I started to grow them as well but there is still too much water... So any ways to wisely waste lots of water? Without pumping it to space...

About multiplying I know only sour gas boiler... Any other schemes?

Unconventional sources of renewable water for me it's wild Arbor trees... You can make ethanol, burn it, and get some water. Is there any other sources like that?

Will be interesting to hear some stories about water issues ;)

Irrigate a lot of bristle blossoms

9 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Irrigate a lot of bristle blossoms

Not that I say it is not good way of using water, but...IMG_20211202_091918.thumb.jpg.958f4219262cfa4494c7100fdfce0bb1.jpg

Just how much and how long should I grow bristle blossom to deal with this water?

And I thought I had lot of water in my starting asteroid...

Archived