Freezers + Microwave Ovens

With the somewhat recent changes to food storage, there is an opportunity to add a pair of new buildings that utilize Spaced Out!'s mechanics.

The first new building is a Freezer.  For a heavier power cost than the Refrigerator, this building would apply a Deep Frozen status effect to any food stored within for more than a cycle.  Deep Frozen would remove any spoilage, but it would also decrease the food quality of the frozen food by 1.  To remove the Deep Frozen penalty, frozen food could be nuked in a Microwave Oven, which would require a low amount of power and a source of radbolts to operate.

im not sure that  Freezer actually consume more power, maybe when you turn on first time but after it reaches the needed temperature it shuts down

ok so i looked that my home freezer uses the 100w and 0 w when its idle state, but uses 4w when add cord to power-line

that is the 20w less than game Refrigerator

Just a regular power cost for the freezer is boring. Lets make this thing high tech and require liquid oxygen to cool it. This would give us more incentive to generate LOX and since it`s already used in rockets we could just add a bit more for the freezer. It would slowly leak room temperature oxygen so nothing is lost.

A microwave oven for unfreezing sounds good but dupes are too dumb to prepare their food before eating. It would waste time during downtime and cause dupes to run around more than needed. But anyway the building could be pretty cool on it`s own to quickly prepare some new food types with high quality.

9 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Just a regular power cost for the freezer is boring. Lets make this thing high tech and require liquid oxygen to cool it. This would give us more incentive to generate LOX and since it`s already used in rockets we could just add a bit more for the freezer. It would slowly leak room temperature oxygen so nothing is lost.

Making liquid oxygen requires more work than just building a freezing CO2 pit, doesn't it?  I can't imagine many would put in that kind of effort when they can get permanent food preservation with for less hassle.

17 hours ago, goboking said:

Making liquid oxygen requires more work than just building a freezing CO2 pit, doesn't it?  I can't imagine many would put in that kind of effort when they can get permanent food preservation with for less hassle.

If a freezer required only power nobody would bother with cooled CO2 pit designs. I guess it`s probably too extreme of a requirement but it would allow for deep freezing inside rockets with less space requirements and at the cost of something you should already try to produce anyway.

Archived