Saturn Critter Traps

So recently, I have been toying around with Saturn critter traps as a means of producing food and power. And Boy, does it ever produce.

if you have  constant supply of creatures for the traps to eat, they will be constantly producing hydrogen, and if you have enough, you can power the cooling you need to keep things livable for them solely off of the hydrogen produced.

Just be sure to keep farmers touch on them, because they are affected by it more than most plants, having a grow time of 30 days when domesticated by default.

I would also recommend trying to farm out a few growth accelerator mutations so that you can increase the amount of plant meat you get from them, and be able to use it as an alternative to automatically drowning hatches.

Are there any recipes for plant meat yet?  

As a means of producing hydrogen, however, they're spectacular, even more so if you pip plant them (with a sacrificial pip), as they produce the same amount of hydrogen with no water cost.  I prefer hydrogen rockets to the radbolt engine, so I love 'em - once I've got that precious first batch of supercoolant.

5 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Are there any recipes for plant meat yet?  

Not that I know of, I just know the plant meat is good enough for me, as it matches the level my duplicants are currently at. I might be plying the game slow, because i am on cycle 267 nd i still have meal lice as my major food source.

5 hours ago, goboking said:

I was excited when I saw they'd be among the many cool toys we'd be getting to play with in Spaced Out, but the extreme temperature requirements and the low-quality plant meat produced has me still culling my hatch ranches the old fashioned way.

I am trying to play around with the livable temperatures with hatches, so that they either freeze to death in that room or get eaten by the Saturn traps.

11 hours ago, BionicSandwich said:

they will be constantly producing hydrogen, and if you have enough, you can power the cooling you need to keep things livable for them solely off of the hydrogen produced.

Just be sure to keep farmers touch on them, because they are affected by it more than most plants, having a grow time of 30 days when domesticated by default.

Why would you need to farmer touch them if they produce hydrogen in constant rate? Yeah, you get the meet faster, but if the power is your main focus then you don't worry about meet. And my understanding is that they are suboptimal source of food, so you don't care about meet that much.

4 minutes ago, Jann5s said:

A carnivore plant that lives in a temperature range where most creatures die just feels strange to me. This plant deserves some reworking.

100% agreed, I love the concept of carnivore plant (would love carnivore critter too) but the plant in its current shape looks strange and needs some more love and attention

On 11/16/2021 at 1:31 AM, pether said:

Why would you need to farmer touch them if they produce hydrogen in constant rate? Yeah, you get the meet faster, but if the power is your main focus then you don't worry about meet. And my understanding is that they are suboptimal source of food, so you don't care about meet that much.

100% agreed, I love the concept of carnivore plant (would love carnivore critter too) but the plant in its current shape looks strange and needs some more love and attention

The farmers touch is more about the plant meat than the hydrogen. I don't think they produce hydrogen faster, but I have been using the plant meat as a food source for my colony, so the farmers touch is important to me, because it halves the time it takes to produce from 30 days to 15.

Its pretty much just an attempt at doing something different for food, because I am on a the new start with more but smaller asteroids, including the starter one. I don't quite have enough water to make other sources of food viable, so I decided on the Saturn critter traps as a workaround because i already had a copious amount of hatches thanks to an automatic hatch farm I set up.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:26 AM, Jann5s said:

A carnivore plant that lives in a temperature range where most creatures die just feels strange to me. This plant deserves some reworking.

I think that the intention for the plant is to use beetas as a source of critters, as they are in the same biome, but i wish that they had a better chance of interacting naturally, rather than having to force them to interact oftentimes.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:26 AM, Jann5s said:

i don't really see why. It exists in far-sub-zero temperatures alongside beetas, and can eat beetinys just fine.

For duplicant purposes, why would you want to keep the saturn critter trap anywhere near the critters that're actually gonna live? I would just dump eggs on a room with critter traps for power.

It's best as a free hydrogen source and only wild one, it means that it will eat one critter and produce hydrogen for 120 cycles. Compared to domesticated growth same one critter and additional polluted water will grow and produce hydrogen for 30 cycles or even only 15 if rubbed by grubgrub. As for meat it is not worth to... unless like a way to recycle critters for lesser quality, but bigger amount (after a long time) of plant meat.

Although all this sounds pretty good, but be aware not to let the pips loose near Saturn critter trap seeds... They will definitely plant it, and get eaten... I send pip eggs and Saturn trap seeds to the asteroid through teleport, after some time I had all asteroid flooded with hydrogen only from 6 wild plants, and they just keep producing. Another good thing about them growing 120 cycles is that most of the critters can build up some population before the plant eats again.

Archived