Liquid reservoir heat exchange

1 hour ago, SmiejaP said:

But shouldn't it still exchange heat with left tile under it even in vacuum?

Yes. The liquid inside is effectively a bottle which exchanges with both the cell it is in (any gas in the lower left reservoir cell) and the tile it is sitting on (the diamond window tile). There are circumstances where the exchange would be so tiny that it never happens, but that isn't the case here.

There is a bug where stuff inside buildings stop exchanging heat for unknown reasons. Both in vanilla vanilla and apparently DLC vanilla. Try a save and reload, if it starts exchanging then that's what happened. I've seen it with electrolyzers, farm tiles, and other buildings I currently forget. Usually it is when I'm screwing around a lot with reservoirs in debug. I presume that is what you are doing as well.

The content of the reservoir interacts with the environment via the output port.
The reservoir itself interacts with the tile under the left corner.
In a vacuum there is no medium to transfer heat between the two.

In your picture the buildings are quite obviously built in debug mode so all buildings are exactly 20C thus no heat transfer between the reservoir itself and the tile below will occur as they're the exact same temperature.

Note that if you have two (or more) different liquids in the reservoir only the liquid that is queued to be output next interacts with the environment via the output port. The different liquids inside are completely isolated from eachother in regards to both temperature and germ count.

I presume the guy is asking about the diamond tile and not the reservoir building itself. He has that tile highlighted at 20C and the contents at 3675C. And that tile absolutely should be heating up, the game isn't paused so it's not like he just built it and a single tick hasn't progressed.

Yes i wrote it wrong, i am talking about exchange between contents of the reservoir and diamond tile. Tried this on new sandbox save and the same thing happens. I'll just have to try building in normal mode and hope i won't get this bug.

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

It's not a bug.

The reservoir interacts with the diamond tile, not the liquid inside it.

The liquid inside it interacts with the output port, which is in a vacuum.

In the past (and currently as far as I know), the contents of liquid reservoirs acted like debris on the liquid output port.  This resulted in it transferring heat with the selected tile in the OP's post.  I made a post about this a while ago.  If this was changed, I would like to know because I've been building my reservoirs on insulated or mesh tiles in a vacuum ever since.

Spoiler

14 hours ago, SmiejaP said:

I have liquid reservoir on top of some diamond tiles and it doesn't exchange heat with it was there some change or is it a bug?

Have you tried reloading the game?  Some debug tools can make the game confused about where the liquid is or whether heat transfer should be taking place.

48 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

If this was changed

It wasn't. I guess with DLC purchased/enabled it could be different, but that would be super weird even for Klei. The whole point of moving vanilla to the DLC codebase was to have a unified codebase. Why would such a fundamental mechanic be different despite being in the same codebase?

20211103053511_1.thumb.jpg.43540136fcbcc16eb8250e3cfb47d74d.jpg

I assume the comments to the contrary come from misunderstanding the question. Although I am baffled by both stating the building itself exchanged with the diamond tile, which is nonsense. We put liquids on buildings to cool them in vacuum because buildings DO NOT exchange with the tiles they sit on. The exception to this is mesh tiles, but that is a quirk of mesh tiles which follows the math for debris transfer and not building transfer. Also I'm not talking about buildings which create solid cells because those will of course exchange via cell-cell interaction. I again suppose all this might be different with the DLC enabled.

1 hour ago, wachunga said:

It wasn't. I guess with DLC purchased/enabled it could be different, but that would be super weird even for Klei.'

I again suppose this might be different with the DLC enabled.

Certainly worth investigating.  I will take a look at it.

If the phenomenon is still present in the DLC (which I suspect it is), then this is most likely some thermal transfer error related to debug. 

I was also confused as to why people were saying that about the reservoir buildings transferring heat.

6 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Certainly worth investigating.  I will take a look at it.

If you find it's different I would be very interested in knowing, please share if so. I decided not to purchase the DLC for multiple reasons and as a result can't be as thorough in my testing as I would like. These sort of situations ought to have definitive answers.

19 hours ago, wachunga said:

If you find it's different I would be very interested in knowing, please share if so. I decided not to purchase the DLC for multiple reasons and as a result can't be as thorough in my testing as I would like. These sort of situations ought to have definitive answers.

@Saturnus@Yunru@SmiejaP I can confirm that it is as wachunga and I expected in Spaced Out.  I painted in 200 kg of aluminum ore at 1 K and pumped room temperature polluted in to a reservoir built on top.  The rest of the room is a vacuum. 

As you can see in the images below, the reservoir remained at 20 C between the two screenshots.  The liquid within the reservoir decreased in temperature by 0.1 C and the aluminum ore increased by 0.8 C.  I confirmed that the heat transfer between the aluminum and the liquid occurred on the left tile (where the liquid output port is) by destroying the right tile, then reloading and destroying the left tile.  (I noticed the wire under the aluminum and removed it and reran the tests.  Same result.

OP, did you try reloading the game?  I know that if you debug move a liquid reservoir that the game gets confused as to where the liquid is.  Perhaps there are other factors that can cause a similar effect.

image.thumb.png.74a72e3f0f868a48bfdb28662fa9686b.png

image.thumb.png.a6b899c0701208dacd717d171c29819d.png

I'm using sandbox in that save file not debug so no moving object in debug etc.. I just build the reservoir and pumped hot liquid niobium into it. It started to work correctly after reload but it brakes sometimes when sandbox is enabled. Also not every reload fix the problem.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:14 AM, SmiejaP said:

I have liquid reservoir on top of some diamond tiles and it doesn't exchange heat with it was there some change or is it a bug?1.thumb.png.9f427aed18cd2493b30ecc40a8587fcf.png

Save and load. Everything should work.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:21 PM, Yunru said:

It's not a bug.

The reservoir interacts with the diamond tile, not the liquid inside it.

The liquid inside it interacts with the output port, which is in a vacuum.

You are not right. The contents of the tank are exchanged with temperature by the block on which the tank stands.

Archived