Is there any excellent scheme for cultivating wheat mutant seeds?

I haven't tried this myself, but I'm wondering if you can just make a sleet wheat farm that's cooled by weezeworts. The weezeworts would provide some radiation to encourage mutation while simultaneously cooling down the farm. You'd probably have to actually *heat* the farm a bit to prevent the WWs from making the farm too cold. Doing wild, pip planted WWs would probably work just fine and save you phosphorite.

Alternatively, someone on reddit just posted a design for a research reactor that's easy to build farm tiles around, but is obviously significantly more of an investment. On the plus side, you'd get WAY more rads to encourage mutation.

17 hours ago, thegroundbelow said:

I haven't tried this myself, but I'm wondering if you can just make a sleet wheat farm that's cooled by weezeworts.

It does generate mutant seeds, but for some reason it's only one type, I had over 200 units of mutant sleet wheat, all of the same type. Same goes for plants under the sun. I suspect that higher radiation is needed for more types to appear.

21 hours ago, thegroundbelow said:

You'd probably have to actually *heat* the farm a bit to prevent the WWs from making the farm too cold.

No, i have WW in my sleet wheat farm to produce radiation, and cooling is still needed. Perhaps cold irrigation water will be enough.

4 hours ago, TeDeum said:

No, i have WW in my sleet wheat farm to produce radiation, and cooling is still needed. Perhaps cold irrigation water will be enough.

Hmmm. Guess I'm just spoiled by my pip-planted sleet wheat. Not having to feed them warm liquids/materials must help a lot.

It'd be all about layering radiation sources up to the plants limit (1220/cycle in this case), particularly at the time of harvest iirc?   Possible sources include crashed satellites, research reactors, glow stick dupes, wheeze worts, rad lamps, and it'd also be possible to compact and freeze nuclear waste into a solid natural tile which will emit radiation onto the plant tile at an amount relative to it's mass.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, thegroundbelow said:

I haven't tried this myself, but I'm wondering if you can just make a sleet wheat farm that's cooled by weezeworts.

Six wheezeworts cools my small sleet wheat farm just fine.  The total size of the farm is 80 tiles (20 x 4) and it's encased in insulated ceramic tiles.  The water I pipe to the wheat is 77 F and the wheezeworts are more than enough to keep everything cool.

Archived