Thoughts on Wurt

4 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

If that's where you base, yes.

Movespeed in the base isn't very important. Wolfgangs usually demighty if they plan on staying at base for an extended period of time.

4 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

Also, pitchforks.

If you're putting in the time to pitchfork tiles then you're only saving a few logs for each turf since you could just be making cobblestone at that point. A few logs saved in exchange for only having a 30% speed boost instead of a universal 20% speed boost stacked on top of a 30% speed boost.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Movespeed in the base isn't very important. Wolfgangs usually demighty if they plan on staying at base for an extended period of time.

I respectfully disagree.

Movespeed around the base is a QoL perk, making all those little errands and chores that little bit more efficient. It also gives you more options when it comes to choosing where Bearger, Deerclops and Hounds appear when they arrive, and makes kiting them and using them for tree-felling much more forgiving.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If you're putting in the time to pitchfork tiles then you're only saving a few logs for each turf since you could just be making cobblestone at that point. A few logs saved in exchange for only having a 30% speed boost instead of a universal 20% speed boost stacked on top of a 30% speed boost.

For me at least, logs are at a premium in the early game. I generally don't start manufacturing cobble en masse until at least the second winter, usually the third autumn. That's 18 hours of gameplay without a speed boost unless I'm WX, Wolf, or basing in the swamp as Wurt (or yes, okay, Woodie or Maxwell could amass logs earlier. Even as them, though, I'd probably still wait for Bearger).

9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

That time I made sure to collect cactii often (I was literally next to the desert) plus I brought like 30 berry bushes in the very first days, and kept making fistfull of jam with 3 ice 1 berry, collecting only the 2-3 berries I'm about to use at night so gobblers are not a problem. So I was pretty well covered in food

Wouldn't it be beneficial to convert drumsticks into eggs and use/mine less ice though? My problem with ice as a filler is that there is fixed amount of pengull groups jumping out of the water every winter, and there is no way to guarantee that you yourself trigger 2+ of them near your base instead of other player in far away part of the map. Also ice is a component of ice flingomatic (I use them as wildfire protection, and on pubs it is primary mean of combating wildfires/withering if anybody cares about summer at all and plans to continue playing), ice filler is important to save for recipes that exclude vegetables/fruits/honey/eggs/inedibles as a filler, for example, for hot dragon chili salad, soothing tea, flower salad, ice cream of all kinds, sometimes trail mix, also ice is forever fresh and allows to raise dish freshness, especially if there is 1-2 inedible ingredients and the 3rd one is stale/spoiled. So -3 ice for 50 hunger dish feels like a waste of time and resources, for comparison pumpkin gives the same 50 hunger on it's own (although spoils faster, but 10 days is still plenty of time) or butter muffin with 2 twigs (although in that case Wurt needs to amass some butterfly wings before winter or rush lunar trees).

I think it would be more interesting to play as Wurt from the start if ocean had more fish like ice bream in all seasons, but with honey/fruit/decoration/etc. value, that way Wurt would have more things to eat in the ocean, insentive to go there periodially in harsh seasons (for example, for butterfly wings and honey and corresponding crock pot recipes in winter), and upon killing gave honey/berries/butterfly wings/flowers/new resource of old food type in the crock pot. It would also provide a way to keep those ingredients forever fresh without bundling wrap with minimal additions to the game.

Indeed, I usually try to make my own temporary safe spots for dropping stuff

I myself choose areas past monkeys, past large clusters of fissures on dead end branch of ruins or boat base, but I'm curious of other possible places. Technically Wurt can surround her belonings with 3-4 merm houses guarding it, but for that she needs those 6-8 slots before it, and it stops to work once merm king is alive. I understand that merm place and time of death may be convenient enough, it's just that I like to raise consistency of the strategies, base in the desert (even as non-Wurt), and not always large forest is located near desert. I would prefer freshwater fish stacking just like bees (but ocean fish remain unstackable because of tin fishing bin balance and different fish weight), that would solve so much problems and make Wurt much more enjoyable to me.

I've rushed beefalo taming in many pubs, almost always getting an ornery before spring

I think Wurt can benefit from this as well since by just showing them what to do they keep working for ages

I think for Wurt needs default beefalo may be more suitable: once merm army is amassed that 16 damage pales in comparison to oveall dps, Wurt can dismount to refeed merms any time she wants without wasting resources to remount, and when merms are not an option default can still reach 50 damage with war saddle (useful for hounds, debth worms, nightmares and mooslings).

Lakhnish recently made a cool video on that!

Lakhnish maximised lesser glow berry production via all available means, but my idea was to build empty boats next to the main one (or use main one if there are no structures) to resupply on lightbulbs, 12.5 non-meat food and acquire fruit filler for fist full of jam (with eggs) on demand, and all of that without bundles. Technically it is possible with 10 lureplants or thurible, but idea also was to find use for shadow heart on itself when it's still relevant in playthrough, without Fuelweaver loot (it's boss loot after all, would be cool if there were uses not dependent on other boss drops). Another problem of this strategy is the fact that one can't hammer placed boat, only create leak and wait for boat to sink (too much idle time for me).

Ironically for being a sea related character I tend to try to avoid the ocean as much as possible with Wurt

Understandable, but kelp for merm king, seasonal fishes and in general fish which freshness can be restored fit in Wurt's kit well, it's just that she is likely to starve to death while doing all that stuff. That's also why I think ability to swim on short distance would improve situation, since wurt could get kelp, seeds and figs that otherwise would be ignored or require more time to collect with oar (+ convenience in picking bottles as a bonus).

Edit: bundled food or stone fruit work, of cource, but I can't help but compare Wurt's gameplay in the ocean and Wilson's/Warly's one. I want less tedium, more options and unique gameplay in the ocean for Wurt.

Archived