Tower of Babylon - How to sort eggs by age and supply them to Ranches automatically

EDIT 1 - A video preview and demo of the build is out on Youtube

I love ranching. But replacing the critters that die of old age has always been an annoyance to me. Here, as part of my Academy Not included series, I released my solution to my dilemma on reddit. Not the simplest solution for sure, but very useful if you're a hardcore rancher.

TOBs.thumb.png.840f0d41661f62987d9711fd3515bd54.png

Will be making a video demonstration of the system and link it here, so stay tuned for that one. 

Reddit article link here

Link archive of full ANI series

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/ppuznd/academy_not_included_link_archive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Link archive of the SGG series

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/p4f9yp/the_stormfathers_guide_to_the_galaxy_link_archive/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Follow me on Reddit to keep up to date with my latest builds :)

Until next time.

This is overengineered in a delightful way. Never thought of that way of sorting eggs.

I'm a hardcore rancher too, but I don't sort eggs. Water clocks, a couple sensors and a properly built critter dispenser are all I need to have an always full stable. With only adult critters inside. And now the conveyor-meter-thing made everything easier.

But holymoly, this thing.. Makes me wish I thought of this myself.

So, I'm gonna hate you for robbing me of that opportunity, and thank you because honestly.. I would have never ever thought of creating such a ONI thing.

Kudos.

how about something like this:

342910910_.thumb.jpg.67c17346dbab456a2855ac1bf0bb589f.jpg

each stable just throw eggs into water, where autosweeper take egg and put them into unpowered incubators if any vacant. All other baby hatches just die in water and you eat their meat.

I don't know what does it mean "I'm hardcore rancher", but if it mean you have more then 4 stables, it's pretty easy to calculate approximated amount of incubators you need to keep stables full without overcomplicated and resource-consuming buildings.

Spoiler

Actually, to keep stables full I have 1 powered incubator for each 2 stable.

Spoiler

In late game I have shove volley farm, and I don't care about eggs replacement at all, they just lay egg and die of starvation.

So my issue with unpowered incubators is that there is no way to prevent the odd critter from hatching and escaping the incubator. Not a fan of free critters running around. I actually use powered/unpowered incubators for most of my game. The ToB is more of a end-game build.

Secondly, at some point I end up with about 15 ranches of 3-4 different species in total. I'm not sure if i could balance the incubators too well.

Lastly, I will admit that the build has a wow-factor that boring old incubators just wont have :)

On 10/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, degr said:

how about something like this:

342910910_.thumb.jpg.67c17346dbab456a2855ac1bf0bb589f.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, to keep stables full I have 1 powered incubator for each 2 stable.

Reveal hidden contents

In late game I have shove volley farm, and I don't care about eggs replacement at all, they Youjust lay egg and die of starvation.

You could maintain about 10 stables with all those incubators, that is just too much overkill generally

11 hours ago, Primalflower said:

what is the math behind this?

Hatches incubate at 5% per cycle, so ~20 to hatch (the game loves to round stuff up) and hatches live for 100 cycles therefore one incubator turned off should be able to maintain 5 hatches

5x16=80

And every stable can fit only 8 hatches iirc

18 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Hatches incubate at 5% per cycle, so ~20 to hatch (the game loves to round stuff up) and hatches live for 100 cycles therefore one incubator turned off should be able to maintain 5 hatches

5x16=80

And every stable can fit only 8 hatches iirc

My issue is more on predictability than the hard math. In this configuration, there is a likelihood that there are more eggs hatching than are strictly necessary (because some eggs will hatch in much less than 20 cycles) . Not the end of the world, for sure....but it does bother me.

But if you're fine with a little duplicant labour and a few extra hatches, its a perfectly viable system.

Archived