Heat exchange and phase change

I was working on getting my LOX setup going.  I after I started, it took about, I don't know.. Maybe 10-15 cycle to get to -170.  I told myself, only a few more cycle and it's LOX time!  But here I sit another 15 cycle later and still no LOX. (None that is cold enough for me to dare send through ceramic insulated pipes).
image.thumb.png.a3a1cbe6c2bdb0280a6f3e8bb56881f8.png

Now, it seems the LOX exchange way more heat with the insulated than the oxygen did.  But then, it appears the insulated tile stop getting colder at -180 degree, which is pretty much the point where the phase change occurs for the LOX. and it doesn't slowly stop at -180. I witnessed a tile go from -90 to -180 in 1/3rd of a cycle at more or less the same rate, and come to a full stop at 180. So I started wondering if this was intended mechanics or not. I guess once all the bottom ceramic tile hits -180, my LOX will finally start getting colder... It's just way more DTU than I was planning/ready to cool down. 

(The radiant pipe is gold, containing super coolant)

So... Bug or not?

Yea, same energy.

I think that's because how temperature exchange works in ONI. You know what abyssalite flaking is? It's when the temperature difference between it and something else is so high that abyssalite starts to give its heat away so fast that it can turn crude oil to sour gas, for instance.

Same for LOX and LH - while ceramic tiles are too warm, LOX (LH) will convert back to O2 until they are cooled to -180 C (~ -200C).

From what I remember from my quick testing swap to aluminum or something with similar conductivity from gold. It seemed to make fluid in pipes give heat away faster.. I'm not 100% why. It might have something to do with using of geometrical average of conductivity by game in some cases (I've read the descriptions about that but they do sound like magic in places). Flaking as described above sounds like a lot more magic :D

This has to do with faking, which allows LOX to exchange heat with insulated tiles very efficiently. One can argue about whether it is a bug, it is certainly counter intuitive that flaking ignores the conductivity of the materials involved.

I would suggest to build the walls out of metal (choose a low SHC) and then have vacuum around it.

7 hours ago, Duck986 said:

You know what abyssalite flaking is?

Flaking is an intended part of the game but rarely has any practical impact. Digging up abyssalite in the oil biome is probably the first place players encounter the phenomenon when crude oil magically phase changes to sour gas. Creating liquid O2 & H2 is likely the second time.

This is likely what's happening. I played around with making rocket fuel a few months ago, learned a couple lessons, then built something cool. Taking steps to mitigate flaking in your liquid storage chamber cuts down on the random gas blooms and speeds up the process. The most effective way I found is use airflow tiles to keep liquid from touching insulated tiles. The next best is to build walls out of highly conductive metal tiles so their temperature quickly drops.

Regarding performance: just throw a healthy amount of cooling at your gas and most builds create liquid at about the same rate. Check the linked threads for some details.

My solution to flash-boiling in cryogenic chambers is to build the chamber out of lead or gold metal tiles for their low thermal mass. Those tiles can then be insulated with Insulated Tiles, if those Insulated Tiles are made of Igneous Rock or Ceramic there will be zero heat transfer between the metal tile and the Insulated Tile due to quirks of the floating point calculations used for heat transfer.

Archived