Pick/Axe is still craving for a buff

Idk why this item gets so much hate, I've been loving it after the QoL. Its power is convenience, you get the functionality of an axe, pickaxe and a battle spear all in one item with monstrous durability, perhaps not something people addicted to their Krampus Sacks could appreciate but it shines when using body slot clothing. You have the ability to chop, pick and have a pretty good backup weapon (no need to carry extra weapons in case primary breaks), as well as no need to carry gold or flint or worry about your tool breaking. You often employ alternative ways to get minerals and wood in the lategame anyway so this item is like a must have for any manual labor needs. All I would ask for is that if it acted as a shovel too so one wouldn't need to carry a shovel aswell

35 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Idk why this item gets so much hate, I've been loving it after the QoL. Its power is convenience, you get the functionality of an axe, pickaxe and a battle spear all in one item with monstrous durability, perhaps not something people addicted to their Krampus Sacks could appreciate but it shines when using body slot clothing. You have the ability to chop, pick and have a pretty good backup weapon (no need to carry extra weapons in case primary breaks), as well as no need to carry gold or flint or worry about your tool breaking. You often employ alternative ways to get minerals and wood in the lategame anyway so this item is like a must have for any manual labor needs. All I would ask for is that if it acted as a shovel too so one wouldn't need to carry a shovel aswell

and works faster than other tools

i cleanned an entire mosaid biome and only wasted half of it

I think part of the problem isn't so much that it's not useful, but rather there are much cheaper and stronger variants out there by now (namely the moon glass axe which can easily be made in bulk). In order to craft one you would need to: Craft both gold tools, go to the ruins, gather 2 Thulecite per, and make your way to a Pseudo Station to make one. Sure you could easily make them in bulk, but even then you still need 2 entire Thulecite per Pick/Axe which is not cheap when you want to make more than 4 of them. The 33% extra efficiency thing was nice, until the Moon Glass Axe was introduced which is 2.5 times better than an axe, but I will give the Pick/Axe the durability victory as it can chop more trees overall just not as quick. Overall I have to ask, aside from the extra efficiency, what makes this better than simply making a golden tool when you need one?

I guess I just can't guarantee I would use the mining function over chopping since it drains from the items' durability overall. I wish there was a separate durability for both tools, perhaps a hammer attachment to increase its utility further, being able to craft remotely, or at least, making the recipe cheaper (using fragments would be nice) would definitely make this worth crafting in the long term.

18 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I think part of the problem isn't so much that it's not useful, but rather there are much cheaper and stronger variants out there by now (namely the moon glass axe which can easily be made in bulk). In order to craft one you would need to: Craft both gold tools, go to the ruins, gather 2 Thulecite per, and make your way to a Pseudo Station to make one. Sure you could easily make them in bulk, but even then you still need 2 entire Thulecite per Pick/Axe which is not cheap when you want to make more than 4 of them. The 33% extra efficiency thing was nice, until the Moon Glass Axe was introduced which is 2.5 times better than an axe, but I will give the Pick/Axe the durability victory as it can chop more trees overall just not as quick. Overall I have to ask, aside from the extra efficiency, what makes this better than simply making a golden tool when you need one?

I guess I just can't guarantee I would use the mining function over chopping since it drains from the items' durability overall. I wish there was a separate durability for both tools, perhaps a hammer attachment to increase its utility further, being able to craft remotely, or at least, making the recipe cheaper (using fragments would be nice) would definitely make this worth crafting in the long term.

for me the best use for it is in the ruins, that's the only mining you do after a certain point anyway, I often forget it can also chop things. 

I was using it to clear my ruins all the time even before the recent buff(now I use less than 50% for all my statues), but now I'm willing to bet that a pickaxe+honey crystals can clear all statues no matter how big your ruins are. And you never ever need to make a second one, or carry gold/twigs in ruins making inventory management so much easier; I deconstruct it when low and make a fresh one for 1 thlue at the station. Ofc deco staffs are not free, but 1 deco stuff for 5 ruins cleared is very cheap regardless. 

However I'd love for it to be a pick/hammer

On 11/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, KrazJoe said:

Agree with the make it repairable.

But I gonna say use Flint (kinda like sharpening the tool)

Durability can be lowered and each Flint ends up costing and much as crafting normal axe and pick minus the twig.

I personally never use the pick/axe I carry flints and twigs, craft tool, use, drop it on the floor.

Thing is, raw materials can have other uses too.

I just thought of a new item from a similar mechanic like the sewing needle and duct tape. A wetstone, or sharpening kit. Or grinder. Use it to repair durability of tools. 

Archived