Alternative design for a low volume sour gas boiler

20 hours ago, Occam Blazer said:

I like this 2kg/sec boiler. It can be built with only supercoolant if you have a heat source and a little longer stretch of gold radiant pipes.

If you want 2 kg/s might I interest you in a nice nanoBoiler?

On 10/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, tuxii said:

I got your 3 kg/s right here!

This is a nice one. I've been messing around with some ideas confirmed and also gleaned from this setup (testing 4 kg/s atm, not sure if that's "low volume" anymore).

Brine ice is lovely for heat exchanges: TC actually rises from 0.609 (liquid) to 2.18 (ice) with no change in SHC (3.4). Two thumbs up there. Water has the same TC dynamic as brine in both states, but sadly enough SHC drops from 4.179 (liquid) to 2.05 (ice).

Here comes my first change: plain water goes for the tepidizer area on account of that. ( I guess some maths could rebuke my crazyness as brine does go up to 1200 kg/tile vs. water's 1000 kg/tile...)

I didn't jump into building this exact arrangement from the get go (worry not, it won't be called jboiler :lol: ) and was thusly surprised time and again about the heat multiplication one gets when flashing crude into sour gas - wow.

TL;DR: Good design, very compact. Power consumption may be a bit on the higher side on account of size. Can't elaborate more without direct testing for a while...

3 hours ago, JRup said:

This is a nice one. I've been messing around with some ideas confirmed and also gleaned from this setup (testing 4 kg/s atm, not sure if that's "low volume" anymore).

I know this design can go even further by adding a third output pipe.  It could probably eat the full 3.33 kg/s an Oil Well would provide without making it taller, only wider.

3 hours ago, JRup said:

Brine ice is lovely for heat exchanges: TC actually rises from 0.609 (liquid) to 2.18 (ice) with no change in SHC (3.4). Two thumbs up there. Water has the same TC dynamic as brine in both states, but sadly enough SHC drops from 4.179 (liquid) to 2.05 (ice).

I stumbled across Brine Ice in my boiler development and I was shocked. It is the best ice.

3 hours ago, JRup said:

Here comes my first change: plain water goes for the tepidizer area on account of that. ( I guess some maths could rebuke my crazyness as brine does go up to 1200 kg/tile vs. water's 1000 kg/tile...)

The thermal capacity of the tepidizer chamber doesn't matter.  I've tested the tepidizer chamber with 401 kg per tile of Liquid Phosphorus and the tepidizer runs the same amount.  Ideally on a survival playthrough you could use a water tank or something to dump the chill into and possibly do away with the tepidizer altogether.

We can also make the top aquatuner never run by running a conveyor loop of igneous rock through the tepidizer chamber and up through the turbines pool and using metal 4 metal tiles left and right of the turbine.

3 hours ago, JRup said:

I didn't jump into building this exact arrangement from the get go (worry not, it won't be called jboiler :lol: ) and was thusly surprised time and again about the heat multiplication one gets when flashing crude into sour gas - wow.

TL;DR: Good design, very compact. Power consumption may be a bit on the higher side on account of size. Can't elaborate more without direct testing for a while...

oh noes we took your jBoiler name lol

I have far too many hours in sour gas boiler testing.  The jBoiler is... kind of my Magnum Opus.

2 hours ago, tuxii said:

I stumbled across Brine Ice in my boiler development and I was shocked. It is the best ice.

I've used it before with a chlorine condenser/freezer, a salt water "briner" and "cold batteries" for AETNs. The only way you don't get to use it is because you can't freeze it on account of the use case (or can't access brine altogether, sadly).

1 hour ago, tuxii said:

I have far too many hours in sour gas boiler testing.  The jBoiler is... kind of my Magnum Opus.

And it shows!

I was looking into cobbling together something similar from scratch, adding some, removing some and so on... Many changes mean many fun "results"

Since the addition of the conveyor meter we now get a way to actually use up the chill stored in the sulfur (1kg packs are great!) and I'm shoehorning that into the build. Still on the fence whether to settle with a 30ºC average output or go further and melt it for more "cooling"...

1 hour ago, JRup said:

And it shows!

Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, JRup said:

Since the addition of the conveyor meter we now get a way to actually use up the chill stored in the sulfur (1kg packs are great!) and I'm shoehorning that into the build. Still on the fence whether to settle with a 30ºC average output or go further and melt it for more "cooling"...

The conveyor meter... 1 kg packets... *brain melt* 1 kg plastic to methane unit possible... more use cases possible... *stroke sounds*

1 hour ago, tuxii said:

The conveyor meter... 1 kg packets... *brain melt* 1 kg plastic to methane unit possible... more use cases possible... *stroke sounds*

I know where you're going with this... The conveyor meter also supports fractional settings... Exactly what you'd need for *drumroll* 500g packets! (which is incidentally the output of a single polymer press, for example)

You'd be right to guess why I'm studying sourgas boilers. BTW: The safest petroleum temperature for a pipeline cooled polymer press happens to be 138ºC

I'd say "Preorder now!" but so far I only have the name for it: The naphtalizer.

35 minutes ago, JRup said:

I know where you're going with this... The conveyor meter also supports fractional settings... Exactly what you'd need for *drumroll* 500g packets! (which is incidentally the output of a single polymer press, for example)

I was actually considering glossy dreckos to source the plastic for a plastic-to-methane setup.  Glossy dreckos could be brought to any asteroid and then they could literally be sheared for power.

35 minutes ago, JRup said:

I'd say "Preorder now!" but so far I only have the name for it: The naphtalizer.

The Naphthalizer... I like it!

This is what the test sandbox map looks like at the moment... Let's just consider it in a state of flux, and an insight into the creation process of yours truly... I will be abandoning the idea of liquefying sulfur though...

435570012_souergazexperiments.thumb.png.1fd8f5e0ee06bc95da87c3a4457ee271.png

Hot plastics, dunno why but I just wanted to find out how hot can the press go before it all turns to naphta - the steam turbine only acts as a vacuum to keep the steam at around 2kg per tile:

754493491_Hotplasticplant.png.7bccfd3963b66ab6b92fb404930eda14.png

1 minute ago, tuxii said:

I was actually considering glossy dreckos to source the plastic for a plastic-to-methane setup.  Glossy dreckos could be brought to any asteroid and then they could literally be sheared for power.

Dreckos, yeah, definitely better! The siren's call of the press did hypnotize me for a while.

And here are some mad scientist dealings with a sourgas boiler, this drives 4 kg/s of crude oil mostly stably. More observation and prodding with a stick is needed. Some trimmings to get rid of, though. Other parts will ring a bell for some ;-)

793282644_SourGasBoiler0dot5.thumb.png.9bc14cfa84c87bb0ce15e62bcd51110d.png

I like where you're going with this.  You are using the excess heat created from the oil>sour gas conversion to do something other than run a turbine which is neat.

If you are looking for more inspiration, @Tartarus Plays has a boiler design that we at tuxii industries still consider cutting edge technology: 

by looking , and looking . you guys made me that want build something like this as well.

i to have allot oil soo why not.

there is one thing tho. im not sure after that what i todo all that water what i start get.

i have way too much geysers what produces different kind water sources

On 10/17/2021 at 12:53 PM, tuxii said:

Have you tried frozen ethanol? SHC 2.46, TC 20!

18 hours ago, tuxii said:

Edit: Just did a little swap on a a jBoiler, I doubt it would make a difference... but I love the look.

Solid to liquid thermal conductivity is governed by the geometric mean of the two materials' TC. Even though frozen booze gives you a 10x advantage over brine ice I bet you're right that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

It does match colors a little better though. (-:

Archived