Kill my laptop why don't cha

Funny thing happened.. my laptop, which is weak sauce (1.5ghz cpu) tried to load a save I played yesterday and literally restarted; stating that it shut down from an unexpected error. Just my two cents.. this DLC expansion has destroyed frame rate on the game. The previous version of the game I could go into late game with about 30 dupes with lag but still able to play. Now I barely track into mid game with 14 dupes. Gonna buy new PC but honestly pls stop making the game even more oppressive on our CPUS D:

If anyone shares this same experience or has knowledge on how to make it better Please do Share. 

The DLC is very likely not able to do that crash to your laptop. Much more likely the laptop has broken thermal management or defective RAM, neither of which would in any way be Klei's fault. It is _not_ application responsibility to keep operating parameters like temperature, power load, correct functioning RAM, etc., of of a computer within acceptable levels, because it is actually impossible for applications to do that. 

As to performance, not only is the DLC currently not fully optimized, it carries a ton of debug code that significantly slows down things further. All of that is not secret in any way. The current early access is _known_ to be slow and participation is _expected_ to sometimes be problematic and to possibly require hardware significantly above what will work well with the final release.

That said, I understand your frustration. But you are blaming the wrong party.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

It is _not_ application responsibility to keep operating parameters like temperature, power load, correct functioning RAM, etc., of of a computer within acceptable levels, because it is actually impossible for applications to do that. 

And are you 100% sure of that? I don't actually know what could be responsible but I also observed some weird overheating on my laptop after certain updates.

In addition: my laptop is old, there was a heatwave and I could buy a better base cooler... :lol: but I would appreciate some optimisation at this point :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

And are you 100% sure of that?

Yes. There are not even standardized interfaces for that and in many cases no interfaces at all. That means an application cannot even find out whether it drives the computer against a wall or makes it almost idle. Incidentally, it is not even realistically possible for an application to find out what CPU it is running on, how many cores are available or how much RAM is actually there. The last one is really surprising, but I did dig into that a few years ago for Linux and no, you can only do stupid things like trying to allocated locked (non-swappable) memory in increasing size until that fails. And that will not give you an upper limit, just what is currently free. In some areas, modern OSes are really primitive.

Making sure the load on the hardware stays within acceptable limits is hardware responsibility and, in some cases, OS and driver responsibility. Application software cannot do it. 

I do agree this is surprising. I though the situation was better until I actually did some digging myself.

4 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

And are you 100% sure of that? I don't actually know what could be responsible but I also observed some weird overheating on my laptop after certain updates.

In addition: my laptop is old, there was a heatwave and I could buy a better base cooler... :lol: but I would appreciate some optimisation at this point :rolleyes:

Yes responsible is the hardware itself. It should never overheat, but throttle down unitl its cool enough to operate, or shut down to prevent damage. A program or game is just not responsible if your system is utterly garbage when it comes to cooling the components. This happens all the time with laptops. They get dirty and therefore  the cooling is reduced. Until a certain point the system just will get slower because the hardware will clock down. At some point it just crashes, because the heat protection will jump in and cuts power.

This does not mean the laptop will not get damages at all. There are many components that are not monitored, and if your CPU for example reaches 100°C it may damage other things near it. So the CPU may survive but the system is beyond repair.

Thats why i dont like lapops and such. They tend to break at some point and cleaning them is a real mess.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Thats why i dont like lapops and such. They tend to break at some point and cleaning them is a real mess.

Same here. Laptops are o.k. if you are traveling, but at home (also home-office) I prefer "real" computers. More bang for the buck. I do understand that if somebody only has budget or space for one computer they may go for a laptop. But it does come with limitations.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Same here. Laptops are o.k. if you are traveling, but at home (also home-office) I prefer "real" computers. More bang for the buck. I do understand that if somebody only has budget or space for one computer they may go for a laptop. But it does come with limitations.

Laptops are a mobile compromise at its best. They are more expensive, weak cooling-opportunities. They are even less powerful (for example an 3060 mobile is just slightly powerful than an 2060TI mobile, while a normal 3060 is destroying a 2060ti)

The keyboard is nearly always a bad joke, and the screen is tiny even on big laptops.

And they are not easy repairable.

So, choosing a laptop over a desktop, if you dont need it to be mobile, is always the worst choice.

anyway, in an alpha game with tons of debug features, it's kinda normal sadly

It's not normal a reboot, have you check if you have a blue screen enabled? some version of windows provide a "instant auto restart" when something goes wrong and you need to disable that features and enabled the report error screen  (first link on google https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html just to give info) 

Maybe you can check your Event Viewerif you are using windows for example, to search if somethings go wrong 

Like they suggest to you, you should check temperature as well

Thanks everyone, I didn't know the game was still undergoing so many changes.. I thought by now it would be finalizing the DLC. Anyway guess I'll run into other errors. Also I didn't blame Klei for my laptop dying more so the fact that the game is getting ...heavy and it would be nice if Klei could make it less heavy. If not, no big deal I'll just try to get a PC that can run it. 

PS: My laptop is 6 years old. MacBooks will probably be the only laptops I buy (unless I was very lucky with this purchase) It hasn't slowed down or anything. Just that one incident in my 2,000 hours of this game. It has given me respite for 6 years with maybe just three hiccups. 

Archived