The weirdness of space POI drilling

[FIXED] You can now use any cargo module to drill any resource [bug report]

Space POI in the DLC are pretty new and not much explored. There were some weird behavior observed when it came to drilling. The original assumption was that "you don't necessarily need to be able to store all materials to be able to collect the rest" as @Electroely mentioned in an early very detailed topic "Space Resource Field Details". Some fields seemed to need more or all of the appropriate cargo modules in order to drill that space POI. But which ones? and why?!

I did some testing to see what needs what and then completely forgot about that... until @Pagox mentioned the drilling weirdness again. What I see as weird, after testing some more, is that when a cargo bay isn't able to drill, a liquid tank is what you will need in order to start drilling even the solid (or in case of Helium Cloud a gas canister to harvest water...)

Here are the results:

1822323810_spacepoifields_.thumb.png.1a04374c523e7acddcf363449ede8976.png

*Every POI was tested first if a rocket carrying a single cargo module could start drilling it: [x] when no drilling could be initiated.
Then a rocket carrying 2 cargo modules was sent to see if it could start drilling.
Detailed resources per POI are categorized in solid/liquid/gas form of elements

I started testing with the assumption that every POI that contains solid in it, could be drilled, making a rocket equipped with a drill cone and a cargo bay. Some closer to starting asteroid POI like Forested field and Organic Mass were behaving like that. Others, like Metallic asteroid demanded some more attention. And some, like Helium cloud or Glimmering, are just weird... Why do I need to mine liquid Tungsten in order to mine some Wolframite...?

Have you found any other Space POI that cannot be drilled using a single cargo module?

[relevant bug report of this issue]

10 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

And some, like Helium cloud or Glimmering, are just weird... Why do I need to mine liquid Tungsten in order to mine some Wolframite...?

So that pattern seems to be that, in order to harvest each space POI, requires one specific storage type to start harvesting.  That module type is determined by the element that is listed first in the code:

1422996635_Screenshotfrom2021-08-0721-06-00.thumb.png.601e9897bb073ba5464b478c42bba2d6.png

Note that glimmering asteroids list molten tungsten first and helium clouds list hydrogen (off topic... shouldn't they have helium in them?)

However, when the harvestable elements are displayed in game they are sorted in decreasing order of abundance:

384695673_Screenshotfrom2021-08-0721-06-32.thumb.png.227bbe68144430c56858643a47f19d40.png

So the required storage type is unknowable from the game without testing.

45 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

So that pattern seems to be that, in order to harvest each space POI, requires one specific storage type to start harvesting.  That module type is determined by the element that is listed first in the code:

Makes sense. Would also be an implementation error. The right thing would be to mine if one matching storage element is present. 

47 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

So the required storage type is unknowable from the game without testing.

And that is decidedly not as it should be.

Archived