A Base Builder's Humble Request: Renewable Fireflies in the new biome

In the game's current state, the number of Fireflies in a given world is practically finite. This has long been the bane of many base building enthusiasts' existence, because Fireflies are one of the few sources of infinite light and certainly one of the prettiest lights in the game to boot.

The "waterlogged" biome introduced in this beta has fortunately brought with it a decent increase in the global Firefly population, but they remain practically finite nonetheless. So I was thinking...

Why not make the Great Tree Trunks do a periodic radius check to replenish the local Firefly population?

This would finally make Fireflies truly renewable, which would be a massive boon for megabases.

And it would also help keep the amazing nighttime atmosphere of the Waterlogged biome intact through the years. I think the Fireflies are a big part of that atmosphere, as they complete the "swamp full of bugs" look and also interact with the canopy overly in a really neat way. But they are also the only reliable source of Lantern and Miner Hat fuel when sailing, which means that player are probably gonna end up stripping these biomes bare of any Fireflies over time and thus ruin the aforementioned atmosphere.

What about a firefly boss?!

It can be based on the Lord of the fruitflies but with a glowing bottom. 

It can have a swarm of fireflies surrounding it as you battle it. Maybe use them to attack and defend too. 

At some point when its taken enough damage it will try to hastily retreat and crash into a tree, causing its swarm to fall into the water where it can be retrieved. Then it will become angry and aggressive again.

When it recovers it can call streams of more fireflies from the trees, how cool would that look?

Maybe it can drop something that allows you to change the color of fireflies since we only have the yellow one. 

how often yall using fireflies, in 1500 days ive used maybe like 15-20. not saying im against renewable fire flies, but this kinda feels like the grass gators dropping tufts/saplings situation, where if you run out of tufts/saplings, either you're intentionally getting rid of all of them, or have a bigger problem on your hands (less so with this situation cause lanterns and lunar crown exist).

17 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

how often yall using fireflies, in 1500 days ive used maybe like 15-20. not saying im against renewable fire flies, but this kinda feels like the grass gators dropping tufts/saplings situation, where if you run out of tufts/saplings, either you're intentionally getting rid of all of them, or have a bigger problem on your hands (less so with this situation cause lanterns and lunar crown exist).

I am talking in the context of megabasing here.

It seems to be a fairly popular tactic to fill roads with fireflies (see, Glermz) for the aesthetic. In my own 3000+ day world, I've only used like 10 fireflies for fuel/crafting, but I used more than half of my world's firefly population to create a "glowing forest" setpiece. (I imagine I might have used fireflies for fuel more often if they weren't unrenewable too.)

Point is it sucks when you have to strip a huge chunk of the world bare just to build and pretty up another (usually smaller) chunk of the word. It's why craftable turfs were such a godsend. And it's why I want a way to get renewable grass turfs, saplings, fireflies and more.

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

Is hard to use them as decoration without making ugly biomes like decidious

3 per year means that for an small decorative area or road you will need X000 ingame days

3 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Yeah, beside Fireflies - as per what Quartz pointed at, namely mega-bases with them all-over-the-place (Constant's wicked gods help with ensuing lag) - I really don't get what people do to lose Grass Tufts and Saplings is such quantities to warrant a new, niche way of obtaining more. More-so as on Endless and Wilderness they respawn constantly all over place (was amused on a Wilderness pub I frequented about Berry Bushes and Juicy variants popping constantly in a Mosaic biome under some Meteors Field, getting uprooted, yeeted by subsequent impacts, and respawning again, ad infinitum). Even on Survival I believe they regrow around Florid Postern plus inside Caves at sinkhole exits quite frequently. And, at large, there's tens-to-hundreds of them depending on server settings. What one might possibly do to lose them all, aside very bad base planning and recurrent mistakes?! All this issue looks like being extremely niche.

42 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Am i the only one that uses Lightbugs instead Fireflies around my base?

(Tho yea a more renewable source of Fireflies would be nice)

I killed the lunar champ like 5-6 times to fuel my mushlights but that whole event takes a long time, so nowadays i just run around with the crown

4 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

I am talking in the context of megabasing here.

It seems to be a fairly popular tactic to fill roads with fireflies (see, Glermz) for the aesthetic. In my own 3000+ day world, I've only used like 10 fireflies for fuel/crafting, but I used more than half of my world's firefly population to create a "glowing forest" setpiece. (I imagine I might have used fireflies for fuel more often if they weren't unrenewable too.)

Point is it sucks when you have to strip a huge chunk of the world bare just to build and pretty up another (usually smaller) chunk of the word. It's why craftable turfs were such a godsend. And it's why I want a way to get renewable grass turfs, saplings, fireflies and more.

yeah fireflies on roads is kind of a waste now, since if youre at the point youre making massive firefly roads, you probably can/have/could have already killed the champion, and the crown solves the light problem. if youre just using them to decorate, then i mean sure, whatever, thats a big waste of resources imo though.

my stance on the matter is still the same, sure renewable tufts/flies/saplings are nice, but i really could care less if they get added. fireflies are in the caves, active at all times btw, just incase you didnt know that

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

I killed the lunar champ like 5-6 times to fuel my mushlights but that whole event takes a long time, so nowadays i just run around with the crown

You can get Lightbugs in Lunar Grotto without needing to do the lunar event. Lightbulb plants there constantly spawn and regrow these instead of usual lightbulbs.

I get a stack or two from there and release them in random spots around my base. Night feels like day.

Talking about these:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Bulbous_Lightbug

2 hours ago, ALCRD said:

You can get Lightbugs in Lunar Grotto without needing to do the lunar event. Lightbulb plants there constantly spawn and regrow these instead of usual lightbulbs.

I get a stack or two from there and release them in random spots around my base. Night feels like day.

Talking about these:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Bulbous_Lightbug

ye but those guys roam, and having enough to light up every spot all the time can cause lag. plus fighting the champ is more fun and feels like a just reward instead of bugs you can get on day 3

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

ye but those guys roam, and having enough to light up every spot all the time can cause lag. plus fighting the champ is more fun and feels like a just reward instead of bugs you can get on day 3

Didnt notice any lag on my end when using those and it looks petty having them at night. They don't roam around far and you don't need that many for a lot of emergency anti-Charlie safe spots cause their light radius is quite big.

Plus if you have one in iventory 3 nearby ones always follow you closely in circle wherever you go so you can use them as substitute for lantern / mining helm for night time work around your base.

Archived