we need something to get rid of rocket in space with no fuel. It's tedious having it there, ok resources gone, ok dupes die, but a way to recover or destruct the rocket is mandatory for me. (there is a debug command about it (fuel or delete) ? )

tell me your thoughts

There should be something you can do about it. Tow cable, self destruct or even drillcone mine it. It could just passicely drift towards the nearest planetoid over 20 or so cycles. There also needs to be some sandbox tools to get rid of it or move to a different spot.

My ideas:

• Allow emergency landing from orbit no matter what, but the destination on the planet is random and the rocket can't take off until it gets a platform below it
  • Disallow going into open space, all rocket routes have to be planned in such a way that they end on a planet reachable with current amount of fuel

There, now there is no such thing as "rocket floating in space", only "rockets on a route", "rockets in orbit" and "rockets on a planet".

It would have the side effect of making space research less badly designed, since now you need to patrol between two planets rather than just in orbit, so at least some refueling is needed.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It would have the side effect of making space research less badly designed, since now you need to patrol between two planets rather than just in orbit, so at least some refueling is needed.

An Orbit around asteroid function button for research-rocket-cruising could be cool + rocket heat shield which need to be fitted to rockets and "topped up" with metal for quick-fix repair in the base ( I just like how quick-fix sounds ) :ghost:

When a rocket`s heat shield has depleted and melted ( because it was not quick-fixed and is now worn down ), then the rocket components drop disassembled as materials on to the asteroid on the landing approach and the dupes drop down, shouting Ahhhhhhhhhhh didididididididi ! Meeeeeeh...

image.png.37e1b9138c60186f98d56baf21ea3f43.png

Basic metals also can be purchased in the building "Kwik Mart", in exchange for calories...If one runs out of kwik-fix materials for rocket heat shield repair + candy sweeties and sucrose can also be bought. Purchased candy sweets hype up the dupes.

image.thumb.png.30202ed8ec2be5f6493ad8fbd06fde13.pngimage.png.1e384899e9b152ccd4b5bf0791cb5643.pngimage.thumb.png.29e9f415e7a3bc6b678136ed064810de.png

"Purchased candy sweets hype up the dupes"  lol 

Well in reality the real problem about space ship is the fuel, if you're out you are screwed.

8 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

My ideas:

• Disallow going into open space, all rocket routes have to be planned in such a way that they end on a planet reachable with current amount of fuel

In fact space mission works like this in real life, you can orbit too, but for a limited time and with only a correction manouvre. 

Anyway there is a ton of way to avoid this problem and my favorite idea is the basic emergency land crash "you follow the gravity and the gravity choice for you" the biggest mass force close to you attact you.

In this case is needed to use fuel even for floating, a minimal quantity, to stay away from gravity

Archived