Search and retrieval of a vessel lost at sea

Mayday, mayday

Calling all survivalist mariners.

Yesterday the crew was of a boat was viciously massacred by an evil sea weed and the boat lost at sea. The boat is believed to have been unanchored, slightly drifting in south east direction (assume that an arrow pointing straight up on the screenshot is north).

The boat presumably was at full health, was drifting at a low speed, and had a firepit on it.

Spoiler

20210710011420_1.thumb.jpg.886d040b2c16299d2c6f6719bc1445fb.jpg

An overview of the map.

20210710011630_1.thumb.jpg.a9b779f3af31e098d654c829d47053df.jpg

20210710011705_1.thumb.jpg.e8411b21f744c21f599e90c999f6a88e.jpg

Approaching sea weed waters.

20210710011739_1.thumb.jpg.39f7afa36af6b82ab414c611a8402f8a.jpg

20210710011917_1.thumb.jpg.805c758a540b893152d96969167eae14.jpg

The downfall. (Luckily I took all the screenshots, since I tend to do that when exploring unfamiliar things in the game.)

If memory serves, it should have last been drifting in the direction the corpse is located on the boat, since the the crew was rowing in that direction when attempting to flee from the sea weeds.

20210710013315_1.thumb.jpg.c73a3d1d26d8aa5f6765e3164f26f1e7.jpg

A makeshift search and retrieval mission. A failure. The lost boast was not on the location indicated on the minimap and there were no clues about its whereabout.

Search and rescue:

Spoiler

20210710021205_1.thumb.jpg.d74b88eb1f4ba83444344a93bfb0ab92.jpg20210710021104_1.thumb.jpg.1b94ab5e8517780df802a0546161f529.jpg20210710020846_1.thumb.jpg.d78b0ad353dcdb6147dee1bdc699ca4d.jpg

Could this have anything to do with the lost boat?

Valuable cargo include Snow Chester, the only Krampus Sack in the world, Sea Sprout Starters, a Walking Cane beside the vessel itself.

Ironically there was another boat available with an Ocuvigil but it went unused since it had been used for exploration and was anchored at the far side of the continent.

What are the possible most likely fates an unmanned drifting boat can encounter? Could it have bounced an a sea stack and started drifting in a new direction...? The coast has been searched with no clues of the boat. Out on the sea there are chunks of driftwood in two areas but without any flotsam.

What happens with the Eyebone if gets lost in the water?

Is it possible for a drifting boat to bounce off the coast and float out at sea again.....?!?!

Addendum:

If you go seafaring and bring a Life-Giving Amulet with you, put it on the deck or even the 120 second timer won't be enough to find it when things go haywire wrong since everything becomes an unholy garbled and cluttered mess when dying onboard a small ship.

Also, a Moonlens might be imperative prophylaxis to avoid the same situation in the future.

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Is it possible for a drifting boat to bounce off the coast and float out at sea again.....?!?!

I once found lost boat. I mean, pieces of lost boat next to cookie cutters. But unless you turn off world for a second (reloading world stops all boats) boat will be infinitely drifting as I believe.

Are you playing on a personal server (yours or a friend's)? If so, you (aka admin/owner) can use command "c_gonext("firepit")" till you finally teleport on the searched/desired lost boat with mentioned Firepit on - if it hasn't crashed already. Else you can only but look for it in direction where it drifted - if obstacles are present on its path (most likely, since Sea Stacks are everywhere), you'll find its debris (Boards, Silk, Rope etc) plus Krampus Sack, Walking Cane, and Sea Sprout Starters (they float). Chester will teleport to the closest shore to where boat crashed. I don't know if player proximity triggers the crashing or game calculates from start the trajectory and obstacles to yield a crash/destruction event on said boat, hence the actual loading of area insta-crashes boat or not when getting close.

I believe boats continue drifting but lose collision with rocks. At least that's what I've heard.

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

What happens with the Eyebone if gets lost in the water?

It warps to shore like a player. If the boat is destroyed you could scout the coastline to see where the eyebone is and use that to get a rough idea of the approximate direction of the destroyed vessel.

3 hours ago, Notecja said:

I once found lost boat. I mean, pieces of lost boat next to cookie cutters. But unless you turn off world for a second (reloading world stops all boats) boat will be infinitely drifting as I believe.

Oh, boy, that is a great piece of information... and good news! My biggest fear was that the lost boat would be bouncing indefinitely between sea stacks and whatnot. I did continue playing for a few days after the incident, trying to mitigate the damage and scout for the boat on the ocean, but didn't have the courage or resources to head out on a longer expedition.

In that case, even if it was bouncing around, it should be parked upon resuming the game and is hopefully in the same general area.

And yes, it was floating towards the direction of the salt formations. I did scout the outline of the salt formation area but didn't want to proceed near the cookie cutters. If it has ended up there it is both good (near land, easily recoverable) and bad (potential danger in retrieving any flotsam due to cookie cutters), although that is another problem.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I believe boats continue drifting but lose collision with rocks. At least that's what I've heard.

It warps to shore like a player. If the boat is destroyed you could scout the coastline to see where the eyebone is and use that to get a rough idea of the approximate direction of the destroyed vessel.

Lose collision..? Like in "stop moving"? It's great to know that the Eye Bone washes up on land! Thank you! The shoreline was searched yesterday but no Eye Bone was found. Then the boat is probably out at the open sea.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Are you playing on a personal server (yours or a friend's)? If so, you (aka admin/owner) can use command "c_gonext("firepit")" till you finally teleport on the searched/desired lost boat with mentioned Firepit on - if it hasn't crashed already. Else you can only but look for it in direction where it drifted - if obstacles are present on its path (most likely, since Sea Stacks are everywhere), you'll find its debris (Boards, Silk, Rope etc) plus Krampus Sack, Walking Cane, and Sea Sprout Starters (they float). Chester will teleport to the closest shore to where boat crashed. I don't know if player proximity triggers the crashing or game calculates from start the trajectory and obstacles to yield a crash/destruction event on said boat, hence the actual loading of area insta-crashes boat or not when getting close.

I am also not sure about the actual mechanics of boats, hence the lame questions. It seems like boat live their own life, even when off-screen, although I wasn't entirely sure how it worked. Thanks for the technical details! It is much appreciated and handy!

Yes, I am the host, and it started as a two-player world with default settings but now it is mostly me playing it alone. Nifty command. The thing is that I don't want to resort to using console commands. For better or worse. It took some contemplation about even posting this on the forums, but now I am glad that I did. xd Asking a friend is okay but console commands are not for me, haha.

I also discovered that you can hammer the floating wooden debris for boards. I straight up need to learn the maritime content of the game. Now to the question whether setting sail in the summer is worth the risk, since that season is around the corner. The days will be long and good for scouting and with a fridge onboard it might be feasible. Oh, the existential questions when playing DST.

11 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Lose collision..? Like in "stop moving"?

If they do lose collision, which I don't know if they do it's just what I heard, then instead of crashing into the rocks and sinking like would happen with a player onboard it would simply phase through the rocks and continue on its way as if the rocks weren't even there.

Archived