POLL - Webber’s Spider Wars

Webber Spider Wars  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are spider wars a core part of Webber’s gameplay?

2. 2. Does Webber need more passive alternatives to getting spider loot?

3. 3. What is your opinion on spider wars thematically?

• I don’t really care about that perspective
    • they’re terrible
    • they’re just fine; they contribute to themes of beneficial cruelty in the constant
    • I’m not sure
    • other

Spider wars have always been considered a core gameplay strategy as Webber. You befriend a couple spiders, and get them to attack other spiders. This causes a civil war between spiders. Webber can hold action key and pick up the loot of their fallen.

Many would argue that this is thematically problematic. In terms of character personality and design, Webber would hate to engage in anything remotely like this.

Webber’s refresh created a lot more need for spider loot, but not a lot more ways to get it. The switcherdoodles each cost 1-2 monster meat and 1-3 silk. The Webby Whistle costs 3 silk. The den decorating set costs 1 silk.

There’s also a strong argument that this is just part of the cruelty that everyone is forced to partake in in order to survive in the constant.

I do agree that Webber needs better, passive ways to get spider loot, or maybe lose sanity whenever a befriended spider dies (same goes for wurt for obvious reasons)
Although the structure for this kind of design would have to be fun gameplay<themes of the game<character personality, so if they can't find any way to make spider wars more optional or suboptimal, or a way that doesn't involve undermining the macabre atmosphere, then i'm fine with it being the way it is.

Webber's main claim to fame is abusing the game by forcing a bunch of spiders to genocide each other so he can pick up their drops, with no effort involved or interesting choices to make.

Completely antithetical to Webbers character and personality, and it was the only thing people thought made him "viable".

It's unfortunate that instead of using spiders as allies, Webber used them as meat grinders for each other.

He got some buffs to spider allies as actual fighters, and silk production, but I'd hoped he would have gotten more ways to gather resources and farm materials.

I wish he could make more spider dens, like a Nurse Spider den that spawns nurse spiders and creates spider glands when shaved. Spreading spider eggs and making a huge zone of spiders is part of his original gameplay, very surprised he has to manually feed every spider in order to transform them, instead of being able to make more dens. Seems like an obvious, and thematic addition that builds on his already existing gameplay, but instead... spider cookies, I guess?

I think everyone's forgetting that swamps are a thing. That's where I get most of my loot from. The spiders fight the merms and/or tentacles without me having to do anything. Then I just pick up what's left. Plus the new mechanic of shaving dens to get more silk. I have a full stack in a chest in my base from shaving dens and visiting the swamp. As long as there's a big swamp in your world gen you shouldn't need to fight a spider war now.

I don't think spider wars are a core part of his gameplay anymore.

I think Id rather make a furnace to facilitate the acquisition of a spider army. I use to think that it would be better if webber could just befriend them for free but if they stay loyal after relogging than that no longer matters.

I think his new core gameplay revolves around finding a good balance around the spiders he brings along. I do think spiders could have more uses besides just their fighting niche though.

I would like for spiders to be differentiated amongst themselves across the board, such as:

Shattered spiders being able  harvest twigs and grass (they have sharp rocks)

Cave spiders having a small passive healing when sheltered and/or aggroing mobs

Warrior spiders doing more (double?) damage when jump attacking (they have less dps than normal spiders I believe) 

Depth dwellers having a small vampiric effect (health leech) when jump attacking

Spitters having the same retreating and shooting ai as mctusk 

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

I don't think spider wars are a core part of his gameplay anymore.

I think Id rather make a furnace to facilitate the acquisition of a spider army. I use to think that it would be better if webber could just befriend them for free but if they stay loyal after relogging than that no longer matters.

I think his new core gameplay revolves around finding a good balance around the spiders he brings along. I do think spider could have more uses besides just their fighting niche though.

I would like for spiders to be differentiated amongst themselves across the board, such as:

Shattered spiders being able  harvest twigs and grass (they have sharp rocks)

Cave spiders having a small passive healing when sheltered and/or aggroing mobs

Warrior spiders doing more (double?) damage when jump attacking (they have less dps than normal spiders I believe) 

Depth dwellers having a small vampiric effect (health leech) when jump attacking

Spitters having the same retreating and shooting ai as mctusk 

I like this. I wouldn't mind seeing this either. Especially with the depth dwellers which are currently just a warrior reskin. I really like the dwellers. They're so fluffy.

Archived