Idea for next update and character.

I remember being told that Klei will rework sailing in the game. I'm not sure if it was true or not. Might be just a rumor. But that got me thinking,

In case we are going to have a sailing/ship rework. What if we get Woodlegs being added into the game alongside with it? It would be pretty cool I think. He would be reworked of course and not be added in his original state. Woodlegs could have many ship and sea related perks allowing him to build useful structures on ships. Perhaps craft some kind of exclusive ship that goes faster and is more durable.

Considering all the sea related updates we got, it would be a nice addition to have a sea focused character that is able to assist his team or himself by making sailing much more easier and less of a headache.

What do you guys think? What kind of perks would he have?

I don't think Sailing is getting completely reworked, there'll be quite a few changes though! but not a complete overhaul! I think i'd compare it to the lil "rework" Wormwood got in RWYS.

(Some screenshots from a Klei dev on discord if you're curious)

Spoiler

image.png.14cfae539879f472e880898869970640.png
(Context: This was in response to the link to this bug being posted in that discord. https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/boats-cause-massive-lag-in-the-end-game-r30498/

image.png.aa8712c7a186be920c35595381b3bb7a.png
image.thumb.png.e49a1c9be9f3908987a95d0e906e3353.png
image.png.65ec75b82034ef1563185102224c0362.png

Spoiler

qxM3LzjArn.gif

(This is the gif in question in the original message, just a boat going over the original 5 max speed cap, so it looks like boats will have a higher max speed)

So far, it looks like the changes will be...
-Boats always coming to a complete stop eventually even without an anchor.
-Very good optimisations to lessen the lag caused by boats.
-Speed cap for boats being raised higher.

And probably other changes.

I think Woodlegs could be a pretty neat addition! A boat-focused character would be pretty fun to interact with, could even bring boat weaponry like cannons or harpoons.

18 minutes ago, Hornete said:

<list of many stuff>

Yes! This is the kind of changes I was hoping for. needed improvements and not just 'shipwrecked boats' in DST.

It will be interesting to see the "Stopping without an anchor" when it comes to actually sailing a boat.
like... will that make the anchors useless? will they still let you move slower? what will their main use be now?
But that will absolutely help with all the boats from those dumb boat bridges that didn't have anchors on them floating around the world slower than a rock in death valley. I hated having the boat on the map but turns out it was moving so slow you couldn't see it, but it was now 5 tiles to the left and you just rammed into it.

33 minutes ago, Lennard said:

exclusive ship that goes faster

my question is how would this work tho? since the sails are the determining factor with speed. Would it just make sails give a % speed multiplier?
Also one of the biggest complaints I hear with sailing is that "Its too slow". But once you say to use more sails, they usually respond with "That's too fast, you cant control it"
So I feel like just having a faster boat isn't what people ACTUALLY want. 
(These complaints arent mine, 2 malbatross sails is easily fast enough and not difficult at all to control, but this is what i commonly hear)

And another comment. Personally. I dont want woodlegs in dst, he just isnt THAT interesting of a character and doesnt seem to have that much lore going for him. I would personally love a NEW sailing-based character that could work better in DST and doesnt force you to be on the ocean, because thats not the focus in DST.

16 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

like... will that make the anchors useless? will they still let you move slower? what will their main use be now?

Nah, anchors definitely won't be useless, it'll likely take a while for the boats to eventually stop moving, so you'll still want anchors when you're constantly sailing and parking your boats, using an anchor to slow your boat down temporarily so you can avoid obstacles and be able to steer faster(Since steering speed depends on the speed of your boat, slower the boat speed, the faster the turning speed).

I've been thinking the same exact thing actually, I think a Woodlegs given the refresh treatment (he'd need a pretty big one, since boats are not even close to what they were in Shipwrecked) would be really fitting.
It would be really fun having a character who has reign over the sea, considering right now a lot of people tend to be pretty intimidated by it, and don't want to explore it. Being able to venture with a degree of confidence, while being relatively early in the game sounds very interesting
Plus haha funny pirate 

I’ll take anyone over wagstaff :[ Like he’s cool and important to the story but if it’s a port(I think it might be) and not an actual NEW character I agree. 

We need an ocean based character and the waters of dst still absolutely need more love!

PS: I love slime rancher and am so excited for 2! 

I think adding a seafaring character would only be a good idea when the oceans are as fleshed out as the developers want them to be. But for now, the oceans are still being worked on to have more stuffTM including in them.

(Also I'm relatively sure the new DLC character will be completely new.)

Archived