So there is a maximal safe temperature. At 75 C dupes will start taking damage. Most machines as well unless they are build out of something that increases the overheat temperature. But there is no minmal temperature (i`m not talking about liquids freezing inside machines). Now how do you gus feel about there being a cutoff temperature where regular machines (out of copper ore/iron ore) take damage and similarly dupes take frostbite damage. Lets say somewhere between -50 and -100 C.

Of course we`d need stuff that can handle those temps. Lets say cobalt ore or wolframite could work for that as they spawn in the colder biomes. Maybe a new alloy would lower the safe temp to absolute zero and thermium would work for the whole range of temps from -273 up to 1000 C.

At - 50 Celsius a dupe freezes to be an ice statue.

The dupe with the "Welder" skill can melt him free (or any other hot heat source) , resulting in the dupe being unfrozen and some bonus water. This could give the game a nice little extra management challenge. :p

At the moment, the only real cold risk to duplicants is that liquid oxygen is not breathable. Gases transfer heat to duplicants so slowly, that they don't even get hypothermia in biomes where CO2 is solid. I'd rather see working hypothermia with extra level (extreme hypothermia) than freeze burns, though.

As for machines: machines that operate on substances that would change phase at given temperature could be affected, but requiring special materials just to have a liquid oxygen pump wouldn't add anything to the game.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, babba said:

The dupe with the "Welder" skill can melt him free (or any other hot heat source) , resulting in the dupe being unfrozen and some bonus water. This could give the game a nice little extra management challenge. :p

I was thinking more about dropping the frozen dupe into a hot tub to thaw him but that works too.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, Coolthulhu said:

I'd rather see working hypothermia with extra level (extreme hypothermia) than freeze burns, though.

It could cause dupes to move a lot slower and lose stamina rapidly eventually falling asleep. This would make it similar to real life hypothermia. They just need to be rescuable when that happens.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, Coolthulhu said:

As for machines: machines that operate on substances that would change phase at given temperature could be affected, but requiring special materials just to have a liquid oxygen pump wouldn't add anything to the game.

Well imo it would be just like machines overheating. To handle hot stuff you need a special material already. If stuff like cobalt had a lower operating temperature it would make it more unique similar to gold amalgam. By the time we liquify oxygen getting a material like steel isn`t an issue, and something that works in absolute zero should be that tier but still have max at 75 C.

2 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

That certainly would make maps with average temperatures around 0 Kelvin unplayable...

Just like maps above 348 Kelvin average. How do you play maps like that anyway? How do you heat up oxygen early on?

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Well imo it would be just like machines overheating. To handle hot stuff you need a special material already. If stuff like cobalt had a lower operating temperature it would make it more unique similar to gold amalgam. By the time we liquify oxygen getting a material like steel isn`t an issue, and something that works in absolute zero should be that tier but still have max at 75 C.

At the moment, there is just no need to have machines act any different in cold environments, especially if cold damage started at -50C and not -10C. There are 4 mildly important cold breakpoints right now: solid polluted water, liquid chlorine, LOX, LH2. Since spaced out, LOX became much less important and liquid chlorine a bit more important, but still "not there yet".

It might be worth thinking about if Klei ever decides to make super coolant accessible early or makes liquid oxygen "cheap" but useful in some other way.

For now, less is more

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Just like maps above 348 Kelvin average. How do you play maps like that anyway? How do you heat up oxygen early on?

Actually i adapted my mod for that challenge.

You dont heat up the oxygen at the start you build an oxygen building as soon as possible and feed them till you are able to isolate a small warmed up area.

14 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

That certainly would make maps with average temperatures around 0 Kelvin unplayable...

Lets put up some nice warm wood fires, that`s doable :confused:

I heard that some players have produced heat in the game, but it is a rumor ! :victorious:

image.png.3fc1486436de5b699723453b52b85f9b.png

On 5/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, babba said:

At - 50 Celsius a dupe freezes to be an ice statue.

Archived