Deep freeze/frozen vs. Refridgerated/chilled

SO what's the difference between these two status effects?
Both the pepper bread AND the sleet weat are at 2C in the fridge. 

Do I just have to pass the food through an area that is below zero to "deep freeze" it?
image.thumb.png.38ee69884971374c161b0ca77d0714df.png

28 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

SO what's the difference between these two status effects?
Both the pepper bread AND the sleet weat are at 2C in the fridge. 

Do I just have to pass the food through an area that is below zero to "deep freeze" it?
image.thumb.png.38ee69884971374c161b0ca77d0714df.png

Food is considered deep frozen by the game at -18°C. Deep frozen food in sterile environment will never spoil. Whereas the food will not spoil slowly if refrigerated.

Just now, Magheat2009 said:

Food is considered deep frozen by the game at -18°C. Deep frozen food in sterile environment will never spoil. Whereas the food will not spoil slowly if refrigerated.

The food in the fridge (sleet wheat) is only 2 celsius. Why does it get the deep freeze buffer?

5 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

The food in the fridge (sleet wheat) is only 2 celsius. Why does it get the deep freeze buffer?

I cannot read your screenshots. If things are as you describe, then there probably is a bug.

1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

I cannot read your screenshots. If things are as you describe, then there probably is a bug.

Yeah sorry. they're ******* awful. yay image compression.

And now I'm out of sleet wheat. I'll screenshot and send it some other time - soz

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

They also getting deep freeze status when in vaccum 

Logically I don't think this is a problem.
The point of deep freezing something is to slow the metabolic activity of bacteria to a complete stand still.
While temperature for a vacuum is poorly defined (like asking what color electricity is), having low pressure would have the same effect as there is no gas available for any kind of respiration - granted there might be some sort of anaerobic bacteria that could spoil food.

Still, vacuum preservation remains a viable technique to preserve food indefinitely.

Keep in mind, it's not the temperature of the environment that's important, it's the temperature of the actual food item.  So, your sleet wheat might be in deep freeze when it's harvested.  If you put non frozen food into a vacuum, there's nothing for it to transfer heat with and it should eventually spoil.  

I have not tested any of this as I play on the stable branch, but I've built my food storage chamber in anticipation of tomorrow's release.

2 minutes ago, NewWorldDan said:

Keep in mind, it's not the temperature of the environment that's important, it's the temperature of the actual food item. 

Ehm.. No..? (Unless it changed today..)

It's the temperature of the environment that matters. That's why cooked food that is transferred immediately to deep freeze environment stays 100% fresh otherwise it would decay until it "froze" to appropriate temperature (ONI physics anyway..)

2 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Keep in mind, it's not the temperature of the environment that's important, it's the temperature of the actual food item.  So, your sleet wheat might be in deep freeze when it's harvested.  If you put non frozen food into a vacuum, there's nothing for it to transfer heat with and it should eventually spoil.  

I have not tested any of this as I play on the stable branch, but I've built my food storage chamber in anticipation of tomorrow's release.

Well the sleet wheat is sitting at 2C when it's in the fridge so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I also only keep the sleet wheat at 0-5 C at my farm setup.

I was honestly a bit confused by this reply.

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Ehm.. No..? (Unless it changed today..)

It's the temperature of the environment that matters. That's why cooked food that is transferred immediately to deep freeze environment stays 100% fresh otherwise it would decay until it "froze" to appropriate temperature (ONI physics anyway..)

Well that's good to know.  I was getting concerned about how long it would take food to chill in a chlorine atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

Well the sleet wheat is sitting at 2C when it's in the fridge so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I also only keep the sleet wheat at 0-5 C at my farm setup.

I was honestly a bit confused by this reply.

It's entirely possible, indeed probable that I'm completely wrong.  I have not actually tested this.

update: I'm wrong.  I apologize for spreading misinformation.  On the stable branch, at least, refrigerated status is a function of ambient temperature, not item temperature.  Makes my storage plan easier then.

Vaccum combined with liquid locks as a viable option for deep freezing makes me sad. If there is no need to make a chlorine deep freezer to have the luxury of having food not spoil indefinately, I am not sure what these changes have accomplished. I would not be complaining if deep freezing was something essential to the gameplay.  

Archived