Rockjaw Attack Inconsistencies

The Rockjaw hitting anywhere from 1-3 times feels a little bit problematic to me. There is absolutely no window in between the first attack and the extra attacks and there is no reasonable way to dodge it which kind of just forces you into a situation where you randomly have to tank huge hits. I think that he should either be constrained to one attack, or have the window between attacks increased so that the player can swing a few times before they decide that the Rockjaw will probably attack again. This randomness coupled with the fact that they like to run away after three attempts at jumping on makes them more frustrating than difficult in my opinion. 

Or at least have worthwhile loot for how absurd it is to fight it. 

Its so easy to just sail around them and avoid them completely that I even forget they're a mob in the game lol. Might as well not even exist.

It's inconsistent by design. Every time the Rockjaw does the triple bite, it has a 30% chance to do another triple bite. And there is no cap, so theoretically it could repeat it infinite times.

You can safely get 2 hits in between the shark landing on the boat and the start of the attacks and you can land another hit just before it hops off.

Not that I disagree with OP by any means. Rockjaws are one of the least fun experiences I've had with the game, simply because they have a huge health pool and tend to deaggro before you get to wittle it down, so they just end up wasting your time.

Definitely sounds like overall they need a touch up because they’re just an easily avoidable nuisance. That’s a shame too as we’ve been sailing a lot more recently on one of our older worlds and they would have shaken up the gameplay a bit but after seeing their behavior I’m pretty unimpressed. I unironically like fighting crab king with the sailing method and would rather have that as a forced random encounter then bother with a rockjaw again as they currently are :p. 

Archived