A thing from the stars...

"Wormwood came to me one evening: his hands were dirty with mud and manure, he gave off a stench mixed with sweat, his limbs tired from a day spent in the fields. The plants did not grow, it was a time of famine.
The poor farmer begged me to find a solution, and then I thought it was an opportunity to test some of my astronomical theories.
I engraved some runes around its fields, following an alien geometry that I had obtained from the motion of the stars: then we will wait; Wormwood's eyes tired but full of hope.
I smiled, when I saw from skies what I hoped for: an otherworldly emissary, who brought his filthy presence into those barren fields ..."

-From Maxwell's letters.

I think, besides the hounds, something else should occasionally come from the Moon.
It could be a random boss, a stellar entity capable of killing even a well-organized group of players.
It would be fun.

image.thumb.png.3e7fcf501f2d2ebc8b13cc6209a4955c.png

Just now, JeezSorry said:

That sounds great, every 20 days or so? (Maybe after the first cycle of seasons) 

It seems fair to me, the frequency also depends on how dangerous it would be. But twenty days seems to be the standard. :D

From the look of the art (Great by the way) It looks as if its a flying boss, Just a quick thinking but id say a, 1500 health, nice 50-130 damage enemy. Id say it would be a fst enemy, but not fast enough to stun lock you. An enemy that would do a deadly but avoidable stunning attack? (Screech of sort?) 

Just a quick thought I guess

9 minutes ago, JeezSorry said:

From the look of the art (Great by the way) It looks as if its a flying boss, Just a quick thinking but id say a, 1500 health, nice 50-130 damage enemy. Id say it would be a fst enemy, but not fast enough to stun lock you. An enemy that would do a deadly but avoidable stunning attack? (Screech of sort?) 

Just a quick thought I guess

I don't know who the author of the illustration is, but it should be an Elder Thing, an alien species from Lovecraftian mythology. Yes, it is really well done.
They are damned intelligent creatures; an analogue of them in Don't Starve should have a smarter behavior than most hostile mobs. I believe it should actively target the player with the least health and retire if it takes too much damage. 

https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Elder_Thing

7 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

This is a great bit of story telling. Did you find it or did you write it yourself?

I wrote it, but is a tribute to the lore of Darkest Dungeon: Color of Madness. "A thing from the stars" is also one of the most beautiful enemies in the game, I have not put pictures to avoid spoilers.

Ahhh Well I guess that thought doesn't makes sense 

9 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I don't know who the author of the illustration is, but it should be an Elder Thing, an alien species from Lovecraftian mythology. Yes, it is really well done.
They are damned intelligent creatures; an analogue of them in Don't Starve should have a smarter behavior than most hostile mobs. I believe it should actively target the player with the least health and retire if it takes too much damage. 

https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Elder_Thing

I wrote it, but is a tribute to the lore of Darkest Dungeon: Color of Madness. "A thing from the stars" is also one of the most beautiful enemies in the game, I have not put pictures to avoid spoilers.

Otherwise, That's great! And great story man! Would like to see more of something like that

I don't mean to be that guy but, Wormwood doesn't sweat... He is a plant. 

Im more interested in those runes. They should add runes to the game or a character that is built around them. Dst needs more magic.

#buffmushroomplanters

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

Im more interested in those runes. They should add runes to the game or a character that is built around them. Dst needs mote magic.

#buffmushroomplanters

I don't think Wormwood can be called a plant.
It does not produce nourishment in an autonomous way, it must prey on other living organisms, it has an omnivorous diet; furthermore its heart / core is a mineral; it is a curious mineralogical-vegetable hybrid but with animal characteristics and an anthropomorphic form and an extraordinarily developed brain (which, of course, plants do not have). I don't know what Wormwood is, but it sure is a strange biological concoction, not a plant.

6 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Plants don't have sweat glands structures like animals do, obviously, but they do diffuse water (transpiration) trough their external stem epithelium (tiny pores aka stomata usually on the under-side of leaves) for cooling and/or aiding growth purposes - you can broadly call that "sweating".

29 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Plants don't have sweat glands structures like animals do, obviously, but they do diffuse water (transpiration) trough their external stem epithelium (tiny pores aka stomata usually on the under-side of leaves) for cooling and/or aiding growth purposes - you can broadly call that "sweating".

Ok but that's just water not sweat... They are "sweating" but its not sweat. :p

Edit: I take it back before someone pull up the "wipes sweat" animation in summer.

Archived