Gulp Fish - cooling and purifying

Nice.  Very compact, and I haven't seen a build where the pacu "drink" on a diagonal like that before.

That water Pacu swallowed exchanges temperature with the liquid Pacu is in. Sooner or later, the water surrounding the Pacu will get warmer than the temperature allowed for it (the comfortable range is -30...+5°C), which will dramatically reduce the chance to lay the same egg and lay a normal Pacu egg - the farm will stall.

In my testing the small amount of temperature exchange from the polluted water is outweighed by the cooling from the gulp fish.  When they're born and when they turn into adults their temperature is reset to something well below freezing (-15 I think?)

31 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

My point exactly :-) Every one puts the pwater on the same level as the gulp fish, one tile away. Not, diagonally adjacent. I mean, academically I knew that tile was in range, I just hadn't considered actually using it.

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:

Did you miss the gulp fish part of the post? The water is pulled from several tiles away and also diagonally. 

Ok. 2 tiles away, depending on how you count.  I don't think the upper left tile is actually being drawn. It just needs liquid in one of it's 4 "sensing" tiles to activate.

7 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

below freezing (-15 I think?)

-12.5C to be exact. But even this is not enough - the temperature is creeping up. 90C warms ethanol well above +5C (the upper temperature value for Pacu). But that's not a problem.

6 hours ago, mathmanican said:

"The water emit by gulp fish is always 9C, so we can convert hot PW to cold water in this way."

This is the second time I've seen this opinion. I wonder. Have these mechanics of Paсu been there before?

1 hour ago, DimaB77 said:

This is the second time I've seen this opinion. I wonder. Have these mechanics of Paсu been there before?

Many ONI machines used to have fixed output temperature which let them delete heat all over the place.  Notably the water purifier was one that many players used to cool their bases early on since it had a fixed (30C?) output temperature.  You could do things like run polluted water through a metal refinery, then purify it to reset it's temperature and send it to your bathrooms to turn it back into polluted water. 

They have since been changed to nearly everything to output at the average of their inputs' temperature with a fixed minimum output temperature.  There are a couple exceptions (like the petroleum generator) which instead output at their current temperature regardless of the temperature of their inputs.  I would guess the gulp fish behavior was changed at the same time.

Archived