About Both DLC Terra Geysers and Biomes...

9 hours ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Yes but wheezeworths were much more powerful and didn't need phosphor supply too.. and putting them in a hydrogen atmosphere to maximize their effect.

Did they used to delete more heat? That would explain why they were so much more useful before. While heated phosphorite could take away some of the cooling potential, it can't be the main cause for them being so weak. They could do with being buffed again somewhat.

Your biggest consumption of water during the early game is on research.  You can definitely slap down a pump on a cool steam vent and put it into a pitcher pump tank far from your farms and use that to do research and cooking at no risk to your dupes or crops.  The steam will condense on its own, probably around 40-60 C.  Easy and effective.

48 minutes ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Your biggest consumption of water during the early game is on research.  You can definitely slap down a pump on a cool steam vent and put it into a pitcher pump tank far from your farms and use that to do research and cooking at no risk to your dupes or crops.  The steam will condense on its own, probably around 40-60 C.  Easy and effective.

Come to think of it, it seems to me like the heat in the water used for research just gets deleted. I just used a bunch of 60C water for research and it seemed there was no more heating up than the building does anyways. Is that accurate?

15 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Come to think of it, it seems to me like the heat in the water used for research just gets deleted. I just used a bunch of 60C water for research and it seemed there was no more heating up than the building does anyways. Is that accurate?

Pretty sure that is how many consumption mechanics work, with SPOM, plants and critters included. The most annoying part really is getting 110C steam down to at least 95C in the long run as eventually you run out of things to absorb heat and have to use a steam turbine with aqua tuner, which is why I hate cool steam vents. Water geyser output at 95C is still very valuable so long as you insulate the water used, which is a bit too powerful of a cheat come to think of it, but the water output would become less useful if it were nerfed and have the plants stifle as they would absorb heat from the digested water, duplicants scalding as they use showers and sinks and we would be back to annoying vent taming mechanics with a lot more geysers.

28 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

The most annoying part really is getting 110C steam down to at least 95C in the long run as eventually you run out of things to absorb heat and have to use a steam turbine with aqua tuner, which is why I hate cool steam vents.

This is not accurate at all. I don't know how do you usually delete heat, but there are a lot of ways to keep cooling the water down without either aquatuners or steam turbines.

8 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

This is not accurate at all. I don't know how do you usually delete heat, but there are a lot of ways to keep cooling the water down without either aquatuners or steam turbines.

I'm talking past the point where you've used up all the ice to transfer heat and so forth, a completely sustainable tamer. There are other, even more exploitative ways to delete heat, through mass deletion and such, but that can be even more difficult to achieve or require manual intervention every now and then.

18 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

I'm talking past the point where you've used up all the ice to transfer heat and so forth, a completely sustainable tamer. There are other, even more exploitative ways to delete heat, through mass deletion and such, but that can be even more difficult to achieve or require manual intervention every now and then.

What do you consider sustainable? Resource free?

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

That's correct.  When stuff is used up and produces no new stuff, any heat it had goes with it.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, marioespinho said:

I believe NONE OF US had a sucessful first colony in ONI,

Back when I started, around the time Geysers were stuck to walls en masse, I actually played the game through on my first try, why? 60kg/s of Water and, oh no..., I've got no screenshot of a void hole in the starting biome, one which gave me ultra cool Propane :wilson_cry:

Of course, I'm lying (can't very well complete a game in early Early Access anyway), what did end my first colonies early, and a bit later, was a heat death. Oxygen I somehow could always hold on to (sometimes desperately digging for the soft green living gold) but once my plants start dying... heck, I even refused to waste precious water on oxygen and still overheated. Since then I got very peculiar about shielding my plants and supplying only the best of waters,.. which I get by melting ice biomes..

Archived