Do Meteor Fields Move?

I've recently got an incredible world gen. I am so happy with the layout. 
I started building my base at the Oasis and I saw that there was a small rocky biome nearby where meteors fall, but I figured I had plenty of space..

However..

Every time there has been a meteor shower it got closer and closer to my base 
until most recently it covered the entire Oasis :(

Do Meteor fields move?

I am seeing a lot of mixed info online. Some people say it moves around, some people say it gets larger over time. Other people say it doesn't move or get larger, it just has a really big area of "possible" effect so sometimes it will seem larger than other times. 

Does anyone know more about this?

(PS: I am playing on PS4 so I can't do any mods or console commands)

Yes.. they do, and quite far too- but if you leave your base area for awhile they shouldn’t wreck anything there.. 

many people want a device that lets them control where meteors fall.. and as long as it’s hard to obtain said device I agree we need one.

Meteor fields don’t move, but their range is difficult to determine initially. The way it works is that meteors are much more likely to hit the center of their spawner then the edges, but that doesn’t mean that the edges are immune to it either. It can definitely take a lot of time to see the “true” meteor range, and it can look like they slowly expand. They definitely have a set radius, though.

2 minutes ago, Bumble_Vee said:

(PS: I am playing on PS4 so I can't do any mods or console commands)

You do have an option of making it to meteors can’t fall in the world settings after generating the world since the March QOL update. Going to world options > meteor frequency can allow you to disable them if you don’t wish to put up with them (which is especially valid if you have the celestial orb).

4 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

You do have an option of making it to meteors can’t fall in the world settings after generating the world since the March QOL update. Going to world options > meteor frequency can allow you to disable them if you don’t wish to put up with them (which is especially valid if you have the celestial orb).

Thank you. I might disable them after I get the orb, or at least set them to be less frequent so I don't have to keep leaving my base all the time. 

13 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

Meteor fields don’t move, but their range is difficult to determine initially. The way it works is that meteors are much more likely to hit the center of their spawner then the edges, but that doesn’t mean that the edges are immune to it either. It can definitely take a lot of time to see the “true” meteor range, and it can look like they slowly expand. They definitely have a set radius, though.

Very useful information, thanks! This calls for an in-game investigation regarding where meteors fall. :D

Archived