Radiation summary

Hello everyone, :)

I think doing a topic on everyone's interaction with radiation is a good idea, because it is kind of complex. 

There are four mechanics involved in radioactivity :
1- Radiation acts as light, must have a source, is linear and degressive with distance. Makes them sick, g
et cured at the med bay. 
2- Radioactive contaminants : Appear when Radbolts (4) hits matter (gas, liquid or solid), dies at half per cycle I guess ? Is a way to "store" radiation in other materials.
3- Radioactive matter, divided into three categories. Everything comes for uranium ore. Then you can convert it to enriched uranium, which can be used in a reactor to form radiation (1). The reactor and the rocket outputs radioactive wastes, which emits radiation (1) relative to the mass in the tile. At the moment this is an infinite source of radiation. In my opinion, the names are a bit confusing as of now. 
4- Radbolts (former HEP or Hyep) : You can use power to convert radiation (1) into radbolts. There is 50 made by one generator in one cycle when there radiation meter is at 50. When they travel a tile, they lose 1. On impact, they create radioactivity (1) and radioactive contaminants (2). They also can fuel buildings (Radbolt engine, atomic research station, and probably other things in the future). They can also hurt beings, such as dupes or critters.
Note : Be careful when your radbolt rocket is full, the radbolts will go through it. 
Special note on the radbolt engine : When taking off, it creates alot of radiation (1), radioactive contaminants (2), and nuclear waste (3)
Questions : 
- What is the use of uranium (the regular one) or depleted ?
- How to get new uranium ore ?
- Can you recycle nuclear waste ? 

What are your nuclear plans ? Please share your knowledge, thoughts and design photos ! 
Especially if you are building a nuclear rocket / submarine from cold war !

9 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

What are your nuclear plans ? Please share your knowledge, thoughts and design photos ! 
Especially if you are building a nuclear rocket / submarine from cold war !

Colonizing the Irridiated Forest asteroid gave me access to a great radbolt source:

image.thumb.png.4318d8d0e8350cf4df7941aa7b6f88e0.png

The crushed satellite is a strong, infinite source of radbolts. I've been consistently using a Radbolt engine for all of my space travels, and with its massive radbolt capacity (4800, for 24 tiles) I can often do multiple trips and then come back to this planet for a refill.

I'm very excited for the update that's going to add plant mutations and/or the interplanetary launcher because I've definitely built up enough radbolts to use them right when the update drops.

1 minute ago, pether said:

Why do you have several redirectors when they don't redirect the radbolts?

I noticed that chaining reflectors reduces the radbolt loss from travel. About 1 radbolt saved per reflector. The reflectors lead to my Radbolt Engine.

1 hour ago, Hokaeru said:

2- Radioactive contaminants : Appear when Radbolts (4) hits matter (gas, liquid or solid), dies at half per cycle I guess ? It is what makes dupes sick. Get cured at the med bay. 

Isn`t it the radiation dose they get what makes them sick? Like don`t they get irradiated by just walking in radiated areas?

Anyway radioactive contaminants don`t appear when there`s tons of slimelung around (i even had a radbolt carrying slimelung germs once). I wonder if that will change. It would make sense if radbolts killed germs along their way.

52 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

1- Radioactivity

Are you referring to "radiation" as "radioactivity"? Is it after using translation? Because I'm confused.. :? In game I think it is referred as "radiation" and it can be visible through the "radiation overlay" like "'light" through "light overlay".

Radbolt generator stopped having a meter (I think  after "a totally rad update" was released). You can only see the amount of radbolts needed to make a shot if you wait patiently to see it reach 50. Also, radbolt generator is the only building (so far...) that can store infinite amount of radbolts. Any amount of excess radbolts that can't be stored in any other building is just pass through the target to the other side (fortunately it stopped one-shot incapacitate dupes :-D it's an instant kill for shinebugs though :-( )

Nuclear waste is just that. Waste. There is no other use currently (apart from making a big pool to collect radbolts). It can't be stored in a reservoir and if swept, it only stays bottled for a specific amount of time (~1 cycle)

Other uses of Radbolt generator:

Spoiler

Infi-rad: a simple built to produce infinite radbolts very quickly
infirad.JPG.756565fc6aa60e5f71ab001371168782.JPG

Easy steam room to fuel steam engine using the least amount of piping and dupe labor (radbolt generators made out of granite)
60915278_makingsteamsoon.JPG.db2fdd1a7d7c722ab8b07d1bff5c2536.JPG

1129173617_readytorollorburn.JPG.b2e2b335a3aad8c641de7c3ac3519023.JPG

@Sasza22 good remark, perhaps both ? Or radiactive contaminants are just a way to "store" radiation in materials that do not have them ?
@sakura_sk Whoops, replaced with radiation ! And nice infinite radbolt generator. The steam room I am not sure about, are you using the heat from the radbolt generators ?

4 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

@Sasza22 good remark, perhaps both ? Or radiactive contaminants are just a way to "store" radiation in materials that do not have them ?

Yeah i though contaminants were just a way to make other things irradiated. Like things that don`t produce radiation on their own.

3 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

are you using the heat from the radbolt generators ?

I am using the melted 600+ degree 1200kg radbolt generators :p They don't have an overheat temperature (yet..) so they just melt depending on construction material. Granite has a low melting point

Things that produce nuclear wastes or fallout also produces radioactive contaminant germs, like an exploding reactor or a radbolt rocket.

From my testing, I found that 7 tiles(more or less) below a radbolt rocket gets full of radioactive contaminant germs on launch, so you need to keep it clear. Or you can use it to generate radioactive material not on fallout, if that's what you want.

1 hour ago, RageLeague said:

I found that 7 tiles(more or less) below a radbolt rocket gets full of radioactive contaminant germs on launch

Looks like it's exactly the same location as the "dry heat" cone.  3x9 tiles directly under the engine.

1203123058_Screenshotfrom2021-03-2413-57-30.thumb.png.cfc938ce101a9b0f65b6981859060a2e.png

Archived