You think Spaced Out might pave the way for Multiplayer?

Guest aresd

Maybe should make a tooltip when entering the forum "Please do not ask about multiplayer"? I have been on this forum for over two years now, and I see a new post asking about multiplayer every month. Is this some a challenge to annoy developers?

On 3/20/2021 at 5:25 AM, TeDeum said:

Yup, factorio has multiplayer mode, and, although I didn't play it in multiplayer, a lot of guys had fun playing it. So why not for ONI.

ONI MMO? :D

Factorio multiplayer made the single player game worse....

Originally the engine was not deterministic. It was basically completely re-written for the purpose of multiplayer, and has limited a lot of potential improvements and features.

Do not want.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:49 AM, aresd said:

Maybe should make a tooltip when entering the forum "Please do not ask about multiplayer"? I have been on this forum for over two years now, and I see a new post asking about multiplayer every month. Is this some a challenge to annoy developers?

People just like to enjoy things they like with people they like. I've played the hell out of Don't Starve Together with my girlfriend, and I would kill for an ONI multiplayer since we are both obsessed by it too. The "huh, that's cool" moments are always much more enjoyable when there's a second pair of eyes seeing it with you.

29 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

People just like to enjoy things they like with people they like. I've played the hell out of Don't Starve Together with my girlfriend, and I would kill for an ONI multiplayer since we are both obsessed by it too. The "huh, that's cool" moments are always much more enjoyable when there's a second pair of eyes seeing it with you.

Well , nothing prevents you from enjoying it together the same way. I have played games like prison architect and stardew valley, before it had multiplayer, with my girlfriend and we had a blast. All we needed was to take turns and support the other one while it wasn't our turn.

Not every game needs to have a multiplayer mode, and a lot of times trying to slap it in a game that wasn't designed with multiplayer in mind brings a lot of unneeded issues.

IF we were to have a multiplayer ONI, i would only have it if it was a separate game like DST, and way after the current game is stabilized, and all the much needed performance issues adressed.

But, to be honest, it had to be a very different game to even consider mp. Even in this ONI we end up with little to do in a few hundred cycles. Now divide that with another player and the colonies would die much faster.

21 hours ago, marioespinho said:

IF we were to have a multiplayer ONI, i would only have it if it was a separate game like DST, and way after the current game is stabilized, and all the much needed performance issues adressed.

Of course, I would have it no other way. Some core aspects would have to undergo massive changes to make it possible, and destroying what a game was in order to make it multiplayer is no thing I'd want either. I still play the classic Don't Starve even with DST.

Archived