One More Beefalo Change

Thanks for the great update recently! Beefalo domestication can be tedious, but the year of the beefalo stuff added into the base game is great for helping with that. I would honestly be super fond of the process if we can just get one more quick change: If I’m not mistaken, Beefalo hunger is at a 4x rate. If it were lowered to 3x (or 2.5 if that isn’t asking too much), I think that at least for now the other qualms of domestication can be totally forgiven. 

Because RWYS made it easier 300 hunger a day is just tedious and not even hard.

On top of this, the beefalo bell + gathering on a beefalo has made it insanely easy to just feed them grass and twigs.

Im on the fence on this, but I wouldn't say no to a lower hunger rate or even better, a better salt lick.

5 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Maybe instead of just an upgraded salt lick we could get a feeding trough we can set up and dump a bunch of food into (all has to be stuff the beefalo eats) that the beefalo will eat from each day restoring a large amount of it's hunger 

The purpose of a salt lick is so that you don't have to feed it. 

Calling the stat “hunger” is very misleading 

Spoiler

especially when popular content creators spread misinformation

Allow me to explain.

A beefalos domestication can increase if

1. The beefalo’s “hunger” is above 0

OR

2. A player is riding the beefalo

These two methods do not stack.

However. During taming, you do need to feed your beef some foodies now and then to care for obedience: a separate stat. Maintaining this stat allows you to mount the beefalo and prevents it from throwing off its saddle, decreasing its durability. I won’t get in depth here.

If you are interested:

James bucket guide

Swanky psammead playthrough

DarkXero forums post

On 3/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, HowlVoid said:

The purpose of a salt lick is so that you don't have to feed it. 

Yes. However, in long runs, managing nitre supply could be challenging. Since you need nitre for a lot of other stuff as well, specially if you play Winina. However, with the new farming system, you can easily mass produce crops. Which means having a sort of stable for beefalos along side salt lick could actually be really handy.

1 hour ago, Omid.R.G said:

Yes. However, in long runs, managing nitre supply could be challenging. Since you need nitre for a lot of other stuff as well, specially if you play Winina. However, with the new farming system, you can easily mass produce crops. Which means having a sort of stable for beefalos along side salt lick could actually be really handy.

A salt lick last 20 days. This means a beef is "satiated" for 6,000 worth of hunger. 1 nitre is then worth 1,500 worth of a beefs hunger.

If You're winona i suggest investing into a varg farm. As for nitre I suggest a moleworm farm.  Winona can easily kill beequeen for the necessary bundles to dupe moleworms. For everyone else petrefied forest are sufficient if you walk your deerclops through it. I can usually kill beequeen in year 1 thanks to the marble suit buff+bat bat+ blooming+ magilumenecent+ some beekeeper hats.

In the long run nitre will win out food. With a decent moleworm farm you can collect 10-20 nitre in a long winter night. That's over 10,000 worth of hunger loss negation in one night.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:23 AM, HowlVoid said:

20 days

Yes I know there are ways around that but it all comes down to playstyle. A single harvest of giant crops in spring can provide food for the next year. Specially if you play as Wormwood. However, nobody said get rid of salt licks! I usually tame 2 beefalos in my world (1 rider and 1 ornery) so it would be nice to have other means of providing food for them.

Archived