SO Performance problems?

13 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Nobody is talking about the testing systems Klei adds to their games while in beta. They track a lot of things and slow down the game. I think there was a way to disable those but i don`t remember how. When they game goes live they will turn it off so performance should be better than now.

Besides that they actually added some multithreading a while ago after they released the base game. It was mostly for the pipes but it did improve performance a bit. If they did that then it is possible to patch some multithread logic in. But i`m pretty sure they won`t address performance until they are done with the content.

Not sure if they have testing system stuff running since the dlc - Those tools used to pull the frame rate brutally to the bottom. For me it feels like the regular crash reporter running...But I am just guessing. :p

While I understand that full multithreading of all the things is unlikely to be the selected solution to the current problem, I could settle for some diagnostics on the game engine. In such a way that I would be able to better understand what makes the game slow down.

Right now, most of that knowledge has been accumulated through difficult to verify/reproduce user testing. Moreover, a lot of the heavier fps drags are likely to have been fixed by Klei over the years.

Seeing an internal count of things would certainly help designing more FPS efficient colonies

Maybe graphic cards have become more important for ONi. :confused: In the beginning of the games development this gtx1060strixx6gb had 1-2% gpu load running a fresh game.

In cyle1 of a new dlc base, in paused mode, this gpu now pulls ~25% ( also due to ONi dlc giant map tech :confused: )

image.thumb.png.8b562f18e38329e5040a550e107dc791.png

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029880271-Oxygen-Not-Included-Minimum-System-Requirements

25% utilization on a fresh map with the gtx 1060 gpu would mean that a lot of very old graphic cards will struggle, especially on notebooks.

I wanted to put a new gfx card in to this system for the MS flight simulator ( that also needs a few more years developer work ), but then the virus came along and also the ms flight sim still does not make me happy in its current development stage. With the sky rocketing prices, due to the hardware component/miner/scalper crysis, I don`t want to currently spend $2000 on a new overpriced gpu.

gtx1060 has around 10000 passmark score, 25% is 2500 score...So anything at that score value of 2500 or below will start to suck with ONi - Especially if its teamed up with a slow cpu.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I threw away a faulty radeon hd7970, which has 5000 passmark score - I would see that card as real min spec for the game.

Brother Klei`s defined min spec is the intel hd4600, that would be a real ONi slideshow with a score of 600 :lol:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4600&id=2451

Perhaps its mostly 2d gpu operations, I don`t know...but its starting to mount up to a relevant processing factor ( on a cycle1 dlc map ) and it is creating quite some gpu processing load.

The increased dlc gpu demand, perhaps due to the map tech changes, graphic improvements and tons of animations was a surprise for me. On the other hand, maybe they also managed to push some graphic cpu handled stuff over to the gpu...I don`t know :lol:

25% ONi gpu load on a gtx1060 on a cycle1base, in 1920x1080 is quite a number. It perhaps wouldn`t be so much of a problem if nv1060 cards may soon cost more than 5 years ago and a lot of people are delaying their new gpu purchases for 2-3 years due to the hardware crysis.

1 hour ago, MinhPham said:

If they gave developers a Pentium D CPU and Geforce 79XX GPU instead of high-end workstations, we should have a nice game without performance issues ...

1 hour ago, MinhPham said:

If they gave developers a Pentium D CPU and Geforce 79XX GPU instead of high-end workstations, we should have a nice game without performance issues ...

..it's certainly something to consider when dealing with settings. Currently, there's not a lot of options we have that we can use to increase perceptible FPS gains, the game seems CPU bottlenecked in some instances, and not in others. My two cents: defeat screen tearing and frame dragging. Then tweak from there. I have plenty of VRAM for the game.

I can play perfectly fine with my Vega 64 @ 3440x1440@75 yet complex networks and animations causes noticable drops in frame rate when panning around the map. This is on top of GPU utilization being very low ( only using 120W or less of power ) or about 40% of the GPU and the card rarely goes into the higher power states.

...every once in a while the screen rendering agent will break on the menu and I'll get really high usage with the game menu producing 1100fps and chugging 320w of board power. But that's it, most of the time, the game is only using around 90watts on the vega 64.

15 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

..it's certainly something to consider when dealing with settings. Currently, there's not a lot of options we have that we can use to increase perceptible FPS gains, the game seems CPU bottlenecked in some instances, and not in others. My two cents: defeat screen tearing and frame dragging. Then tweak from there. I have plenty of VRAM for the game.

I can play perfectly fine with my Vega 64 @ 3440x1440@75 yet complex networks and animations causes noticable drops in frame rate when panning around the map. This is on top of GPU utilization being very low ( only using 120W or less of power ) or about 40% of the GPU and the card rarely goes into the higher power states.

...every once in a while the screen rendering agent will break on the menu and I'll get really high usage with the game menu producing 1100fps and chugging 320w of board power. But that's it, most of the time, the game is only using around 90watts on the vega 64.

Lets hope that our cards don`t break, its nearly impossible to buy gpu`s these days :culpability:

BTW The Vega 64 has 14500 in Passmark, its also still a good card :adoration:

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

4 minutes ago, babba said:

Lets hope that our cards don`t break, its nearly impossible to buy gpu`s these days :culpability:

I snagged a radeon pro wx4100 off ebay about a year ago as a backup card. I think it could run the game just fine, this is a tiny card too, but very noisy under load.

6 minutes ago, babba said:

It is. The situation is really untenable. All that demented crypto-mining. The manufacturers, understandably do not extend their production capacity, because once that bubble bursts, demand will be back to normal. 

4 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

It is. The situation is really untenable. All that demented crypto-mining. The manufacturers, understandably do not extend their production capacity, because once that bubble bursts, demand will be back to normal. 

When that bubble does break, then the market gest flooded with used products, so the pain is two-fold and demand falls off completely for a while.

With buying stuff nowadays...I experienced the same with home fitness trainers. Basically anything of halfway decent build quality below a thousand was sold out or very overpriced.

MS Flight Sim 2020 still does not properly support more than 1 monitor, which is unbelievable...Nvidia is like Intel, still far too overpriced. Once the hardware situation is better ( IMHO in 2-3 years, if no reactor melts down or something else happens :roll: ) and AMD nailed both companies further down, I`ll probably buy a new gpu in +2 years.

8 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

When that bubble does break, then the market gest flooded with used products, so the pain is two-fold and demand falls off completely for a while.

Yeah - I think a good strategy nowadays is to have the miners and scalpers buy the latest generation. When a new generation is published they dump the now 2nd generation all on to the market, so 2nd generation brand new purchased gpu`s are then good and reliable value IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

TMSC, the Taiwan company is the real bottleneck IMO. Their 5nm fab produces critical components for all new generation game consoles and GPUs so all 3 are out of stock. I don't think you can seriously mine bitcoins with GPUs anymore, you're several orders of magnitude behind ASIC miners

13 minutes ago, cg_ said:

TMSC, the Taiwan company is the real bottleneck IMO. Their 5nm fab produces critical components for all new generation game consoles and GPUs so all 3 are out of stock. I don't think you can seriously mine bitcoins with GPUs anymore, you're several orders of magnitude behind ASIC miners

Nowadays I missed the variety - Relevant cpus and gpus are produced and sold by a few monolithic big companies ( same with the few monster big FABs ). I miss the variety of having +20 relevant gpu/cpu companies battling the market...Like in the 80s or 90s. Its similar in lots of other fields, medical products, farm equipment and so on, often 1-3 giant companies. One radical solution could be to invalidate the entire global patent system. I better start playing ONi a bit :lol:

Mars colonists should put up a law - "No patent system on Mars until the year 3000".

image.png.e3d1a83b6c040f3474ca746503c717f3.png  Also...free daily anchovis pizza from Mars fisheries for everyone !

Archived