Plans for Cross-Platform:

I'm not entirely sure if this will ever happen, I'm just very curious. I know alot of games have recently been shifing towards cross-platform. To name a few..... Dead by Daylight, Minecraft, both Modern Warfare and Cold War, Fortnite, Rocket League, soon to be Terraria, and so on. I'm just very curious if it's ever possible to do so.

Thanks, Sincerely,

Cactus

I’m a console player, and while I wish it was possible for us to also have mods, I still hope for the cross-play to reach over all platforms as it will better expand and bring together the Don’t Starve Together community, I only have few friends to play with and most of them aren’t as crazy to play as I am.

Quote of the Day: “Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet to see who they truly are.”

39 minutes ago, Well-met said:

What exactly is the benefit of this?

Console folks would just (rightfully) complain even more about the benefits of clientside workshop mods.

Yeah sometime back ago Joe or somebody stated that pc players would have to likely forego Mods to play cross-play.

Now let me just point out that Minecraft already does all of that: players WITH Mods installed are unable to play with players without mods installed so I imagine 
IF DST was to ever go cross-Play that they would have the same limitations as Minecraft.

Now with that said: There are more pressing differences between PC/Console that I’m concerned about, Mods are pretty much a No-Go but what would need to see significant changes is the difference between playing the game with KB+Mouse and playing using a controller.

Because- Wortox & Wendy on PC will always be better than Wortox & Wendy on Console unless both platforms were given equal functionality.

This may in the end mean a Nerf to PC controls, or a Buff to Consoles limitations- either way there’s a clear difference that would need to be addressed when/if Cross-Play is to ever become a thing.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now with that said: There are more pressing differences between PC/Console that I’m concerned about, Mods are pretty much a No-Go but what would need to see significant changes is the difference between playing the game with KB+Mouse and playing using a controller.

Because- Wortox & Wendy on PC will always be better than Wortox & Wendy on Console unless both platforms were given equal functionality.

This may in the end mean a Nerf to PC controls, or a Buff to Consoles limitations- either way there’s a clear difference that would need to be addressed when/if Cross-Play is to ever become a thing.

Or they could allow console players to use keyboard & mouse, making it easier to create more precise & fluid movements/abilities inside game (For example: Abigail’s potions, Telelocator Staff, The Lazy Explorer, Weather Pains & Wortox).

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

What exactly is the benefit of this?

Console folks would just (rightfully) complain even more about the benefits of clientside workshop mods.

What do you mean "What is the benefit"? It's in the name dude. Cross. Play. I have friends I want to play with. That's all. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

16 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I play on PS4, what about you?

Sincerely,

Hopeful Cactus

I also play PS4!!! *PSN Friend Unlocked: Cactus* Hopefully that is....

My PSN is Somoene_Playing, I normally play on the weekends, because of High School (I don’t like High School ;-;)

16 minutes ago, Lemoncello said:

I also play PS4!!! *PSN Friend Unlocked: Cactus* Hopefully that is....

My PSN is Somoene_Playing, I normally play on the weekends, because of High School (I don’t like High School ;-;)

DARNIT! WEEKENDS! Welp. Hopefully someday we can play! 

I also have High School. It's such a darn non hoot.

Sincerely,

Cactus

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If the game goes cross-play everyone can add me- I’m on Xbox, I’ll even play with Devs if they do like a “play with the devs days” type thing 

I just won’t use a headset at all.

I've seen you around, and always wanted to play with you. Hopefully it will eventually become true.

Sincerely,

Cactus

3 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

DARNIT! WEEKENDS! Welp. Hopefully someday we can play! 

I also have High School. It's such a darn non hoot.

Sincerely,

Cactus

I've seen you around, and always wanted to play with you. Hopefully it will eventually become true.

Sincerely,

Cactus

I would play when/if cross-play ever becomes a thing, but I also like to wander around doing my own thing only occasionally grouping back up with my friends to bring them things or help them out, I really don’t like playing Tag-Along behind what other people are doing.

And the more Klei changes characters with reworks- the more viable “doing your own thing.” Might become- 

No one else but another Wendy player can help Pipspook find lost stuff.

I hope that’s the future for the franchise: More biomes, more unique character exclusive content, new places to explore, new things to do... Etc 

But I would love to be able to do those thing with my friends on PC/PlayStation/Nintendo/Mobile.

I doubt we will see Cross-Play anytime soon, but WHEN (or If) that happens.. my Xbox Gamertag is Riplings, feel free to add me or Whatever (when cross-play lets you add people from other consoles)

Spoiler
On 3/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah sometime back ago Joe or somebody stated that pc players would have to likely forego Mods to play cross-play.

Now let me just point out that Minecraft already does all of that: players WITH Mods installed are unable to play with players without mods installed so I imagine 
IF DST was to ever go cross-Play that they would have the same limitations as Minecraft.

Proof? I have never seen Joe write anything like that.

Minecraft is way different than dst, first off, there are still modded clients which can be used on unmodded servers.

And the console controls would always need to be greatly changed to be able to perform same tasks on pc, causing plenty of pain to use the controls and I doubt pc controls would change since pc is often the actual base for development.

Archived