Showertought: Should arbor trees produce resin?

Thematically, running arbor tree lumber through a wood chipper or the rock crusher to get resin seems sensible enough.  Mechanically, I imagine it would throw balance out of whack since we'd be getting access to an end-game material fairly easily.  What say ye?

7 hours ago, goboking said:

Thematically, running arbor tree lumber through a wood chipper or the rock crusher to get resin seems sensible enough.

Not all resins (there are even insect resins) are same, some have aromatic properties, but barely useful for anything else, some have wider medical applications, some have stronger adhesive properties e t c...

I agree that it would be nice to have more uses for lumber, but I'm not sure resin is one of them. Unless it is something like amber and adhesive which are not a replacement for resin tree. 'Adhesive' can be used to 'gate' atmo-suits instead of denying players early reed fiber (so that player starts either with reed fiber or lumber, suits requiring adhesive and reed fiber will require visiting two asteroids). 

P.S. What probably will be a nice usage is ash-based (wood burner?) fertilizer. Dirt and phosphorite are renewable resources so it won't be of much trouble to either boost fertilizer production this way or to have an alternate receipt that replaces one of receipt component with ash (like regolith does with sand in deoxydizers)

At first I thought the same

But then KLEI added super fun tree POI. Now if arbor trees produced resin, it would be super easy to get it this way and POI would be useless. I like having more reasons to travel to another asteroids, so no need to make Arbor Trees more OP.

But the POI tree could sometimes drop seeds of another plant producing resin, something like POI Tree Junior, so we could scale up resin production

The resin PoI sound really cool and seems easy to use. But i wonder how will that act late game. Might still end up as a bottleneck. If we got some late game tech that allowed us to modify existing plants then maybe we could change arbor trees into resin trees for an extra resin source. It would require advanced tech and rare materials though so using the sap tree would be easier early game.

Archived