Fix reworked woodie

Woodie is one of my favorite characters, having lucy his invincible axe along side him. I haven't played him much lately and just getting back to him. So my 2 biggest issue with his rework is

1: his timer is too short and doesn't replenish.

2: He loses sanity/health when turning and transform back with 0 hunger, losing even more health during your desperate scramble for food.

I liked him the way he was before and now isn't so bad either but I feel like I almost never want to transform now due to the consequences. Here's a few easy fix suggestions.

1: When eating an idol, he doesn't need to lose health or sanity. Losing hp to transforming just doesn't make much sense. Sanity being taken away isn't needed due to the constant sanity drain in the "were" mode.

2: Let his forms have their own unique ways of replenishing their time. Let Werebeaver go back to chomping on trees, Moose to gain while fighting and give goose the ability to eat seeds to regain his timer.

3: When his transformation end, leave him with 5-10 hunger, sort of a small grace period during your moment of panic to look for food.

4: Give the Weregoose a speed buff. Weregoose is pretty pointless as it does nothing but run to explore parts of the map. Sadly beefalos/Woby can outrun him which makes him obsolete. Sure he can run onto water and explore the sea but are you really going to risk drowning? Give him some small unique skill and movement speed buff maybe?

I also play a lot of Woodie, so I will try to use my experience and see where it differs to yours and why. 

34 minutes ago, LazyVwj said:

1: his timer is too short and doesn't replenish.

I don't feel that this is a big issue. At least, not in some situations. Woodie moose is almost perfect in terms of time for me. I never really need multiple uses of it when a hound attack or frog rain happens. I can kill Klaus with 2-3 mooses, usually 2. I do think that it's a good time. Almost exactly half the time I start running out of health before moose, and the other half it's the other way around. It's an almost perfect risk reward form, and it just feels good.

The other forms however, are a different story. The goose can be used a bit early game, but becomes obsolete. I think this is more of an issue with the goose's speed however, because a buff would require less time as a goose since you can reach your destination faster.

I agree that the beaver doesn't last long enough. But the bigger issue, I feel, is putting yourself at risk, plus - 20 health, plus less inventory slots, sanity loss and food requirements once you come too just doesn't feel worth saving some twigs on mining. Do you feel this way? 

I like the idea of being able to increase the duration, but I'm unsure how it should be done. I don't like the seed idea for goose because it wouldn't work underground and during winter, and it just feels unreliable.

So for these issues, I would fix the beaver in one (slightly weird) way: I would allow beaver to eat resources to put into the inventory, and it would restore a small amount of charge. So the beaver would be able to pick items up that would save from the mess you have to clean up after mining, and it would be quicker, giving a bit more incentive to go as beaver.

The goose should have a way to maintain value in late game. A simple one I like is to allow Magiluminecence as a goose. You have to take care it won't run out, get one, and it gives a light source when you turn back. A speed buff in addition would be good as well, given the insane vulnerability while as a goose. This should hopefully remove the need to extend the goose time.

The moose I feel is in a good position. If you loose a lot of time, (perhaps you're waiting on a hound wave to arrive), I recommend having Chester around to smack (sorry man) to keep your form going.

56 minutes ago, LazyVwj said:

When his transformation end, leave him with 5-10 hunger, sort of a small grace period during your moment of panic to look for food.

There's no reason I have for or against this argument. It would be nice, but it also reminds me to use my forms with preparation. I'm indifferent.

57 minutes ago, LazyVwj said:

1: When eating an idol, he doesn't need to lose health or sanity. Losing hp to transforming just doesn't make much sense. Sanity being taken away isn't needed due to the constant sanity drain in the "were" mode

I can see why Woodie looses health, so forms can't be spammed, but the additional sanity loss does really put me off using the forms unless I really have to. I absolutely see where you're coming from. I'd have Woodie loose 10 sanity per transformation, plus drain while in form, but some resistance (or immunity) to external insanity auras. This should still require proper preparation when transforming, and maintain the risk that is associated with it, but make it less punishing to utilise, and a unique advantage with insanity auras (after all, Woodie probably actually looses more sanity from the fact that he transformed, rather than what his goose saw during that right? Maybe just me) 

In addition to this, I would actually like to give Woodie a downside. I want Lucy to drain Woodie's sanity when not in his inventory, but give her utility that makes it actually worth keeping her in there. When transforming with Lucy in the inventory, the forms last 50% longer, for some extra control and value. I'm more interested in what fair downsides we can give Woodie. 

Overall, I see where your points are coming from, and I agree that beaver and goose need a bit of a buff (especially late game). However, Woodies forms have changed to require preparation beforehand and I do feel that the moose is almost perfect to me. Woodie has virtually no downside, so it's technically difficult to justify buffs. I don't agree with all your proposed changes, but I like and understand them. 

Thanks for reading! 

Archived