Beefalo bell and domestication

You can domesticate a beefalo normally when it's bell bonded to you the mechanic doesn't change. Being bonded while taming is mostly positive actually, you can go through caves and wormholes and you won't have to worry about mating season. The only real difference is the bell adds some follower ai to the beefalo which some people were talking about in the "beefalo running away when dismount" (paraphrase) thread. 

2 hours ago, SaphironX said:

Would you think need to always carry the bell with you when riding or fighting? 

Or can you drop it in chest once domesticated and take him anywhere.

No u definitely have to carry the bell on you for riding. As of very recently the beefalo will run to the bell when you dismount if its not on you. Im talking, if u dismount on the other side of the map and ur bell is at base the beefalo will sprint off and run to bell leaving you behind. This was very funny the first time i experienced this lol...

Klei is obviously trying and the beef sticking to the bell when its dropped on the ground is a very nice addition but i feel like there are so many unintended behaviors that the bell introduces that look so janky and buggy.

When the bell is on the ground and ur near the beefalo it will try to walk towards u as usual but when it reaches the limit of the bell range it will snap back and run back and forth between the bell and you like it has brainworms. 

There is no penalty for unbonding so play around with it and explore the behaviors. I never fight bosses anymore with a bonded beef though the risk for some unexpected brainworms behavior when i dismount is too high. 

The bell is awesome for going to the caves, through wormhole and having the beef follow you when you want it to. Like when u dismount to pick up a ton of logs in a forest far away and u dont want to lose ur beef. 

But for any other situation, especially combat, the bell is more of a hindrance than a help. 

Archived