SO year of the beefalo is here, today i played with my friends this new chinese event, interesting nonetheless, did not expected a beauty contest!! :wilson_ecstatic:

Now, i came here for help, from anybody. I'm an old old old player who never touched the taming mechanic, as most of you, for all its problems. Since i never touched it, i don't know a thing about it in the slightest, and i tried already in 2 real days to tame my Billy, loosing 120 hp like an idiot. I'm always for the philosophy in Don't Starve to experiment and discover blind, even through deaths, but i don't want to waste too much time for a beefalo, knowning that i heard people say that the taming was not reworked?!? 

I'm really happy to see this forgotten mechanic to be revitalized, seeing even all the forum shouting "Beefaloes can be used in the caves! Beefaloes can be used in the caves" but i don't understand why Billy is looking me with a stupid smile, like he's scaring me, i never saw a beefalo smile looking at you with cute eyes, is disturbing. I get we have the new beefalo bell, which already seems a great help for taming but i'm very confused if the beefalo will be my pet for a long time or only for one day and that's why i'm asking you for help, beefalo tamers!  (I don't trust the wiki at all, especially in complicated mechanics like this)

Here are my questions: How do you tame right now a beefalo? How the tame mechanic works exactly? Which is the efficient way to tame a beefalo without being pierced by your own beefalo? What the new update brings or revamp of such mechanic? Other ways to tame a beefalo even if they're not efficient?

( I'll update you how Billy is doing)

billy.PNG

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

He's smiling at you like that because you feed him a lot more than you ride or fight with him. The wiki has a pretty good page available to read here.

Thx, even tho i said i don't trust wiki so much but i can give a try.

So i should not give him 4 stacks of grass and twigs? That's why he farted at me all the time?

1 hour ago, Milordo said:

Another question , how can you see if the hunger of your beefalo is below 0? Are there any animations? Or you only guess?

There's kind of a lack of visual cues when it comes to beefalo, sadly. You can at least tell when they're full, though, since if you feed them an item that puts them above 80% hunger then they'll fart.

2 hours ago, Milordo said:

Thx, even tho i said i don't trust wiki so much but i can give a try.

So i should not give him 4 stacks of grass and twigs? That's why he farted at me all the time?

That is actually bad, you dont need to fed him that much. Just fed him a little to be able to mount him. If he farts is because he is already full and if you keep feeding him he will lose obedience, if my memory doesnt fail. Also i recommend you to build the brush in the tools tab and use it every day on him, it makes the taming process last a lot less

There is 4 tendencys:

- The speed one: you only need to feed him with few food and ride him

- hornery: when he start to let you mount him a good amount of time, start fighting small things and shadows if you are insane. He will have a face like if he was angry or bored, that means he is being trained in that tendency, dont let change his face if you want it. If he change his expression start fighting again until he change his face before he becomes fully tamed

- fatty one: ride him little feed him a lot. Is the one you were doing, the expression that your beefalo has is from this tendency. Im my opinion the worst one since he doesnt have that much speed and only gives a sanity boost when mounted. 

- standart one: is like riding a regular beefalo. Is good because has a equilibrium between speed and atack. I cant tell you how to get it, i guess you should fight, ride and feed him in good amounts but i never get this one so i cant confirm any advice. You know that is being tamed in that tendency if the expression of the beefalo doesnt change

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

There's kind of a lack of visual cues when it comes to beefalo, sadly. You can at least tell when they're full, though, since if you feed them an item that puts them above 80% hunger then they'll fart.

That's... deeply disappointing. I thought in the year of beefalo atleast they would revamp or add other animations for helping in the tame mechanic  :/

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That is actually bad, you dont need to fed him that much. Just fed him a little to be able to mount him. If he farts is because he is already full and if you keep feeding him he will lose obedience, if my memory doesnt fail. Also i recommend you to build the brush in the tools tab and use it every day on him, it makes the taming process last a lot less

- standart one: is like riding a regular beefalo. Is good because has a equilibrium between speed and atack. I cant tell you how to get it, i guess you should fight, ride and feed him in good amounts but i never get this one so i cant confirm any advice. You know that is being tamed in that tendency if the expression of the beefalo doesnt change

Ok, i get it. The standart one is interesting, i thought only 3 tendencys exist, not 4. The fatty one only gives you sanity boost? Oh man... 

I'll use the brush since everyone is suggesting, but the salt lick.... it's good? it seems that all animals are attracted, even koelephants.

Swanky has what I think the most efficient way to tame: just sticks and very little food

Also to avoid the beefalo hurting you when it’s in heat you have to use a beefalo hat.

Regarding the bell, it will allow you to bond with the beefalo which basically means the bell will work sort of like the glommer flower: as long as you have the bell the beefalo will follow you, even if you are not riding it or taming it. So in a sense the bell is independent of the taming, it’s just a tool so it follows you to the caves and out of the game, it always works regardless of how well or how bad are you threading your beefalo (or even ignoring it entirely) he just follows mindlessly. You can still tame it without ever making a bell as well.If you want to park your beefalo somewhere just drop the bell.

YOTB’s main changes to the beefalo system are that you can now use beefalos in the caves, that you can make herds in the caves, and that you can pick up items when riding. The taming system works exactly as it always did that’s why old guides still apply.

9 minutes ago, Milordo said:

That's... deeply disappointing. I thought in the year of beefalo atleast they would revamp or add other animations for helping in the tame mechanic  :/

Ok, i get it. The standart one is interesting, i thought only 3 tendencys exist, not 4. The fatty one only gives you sanity boost? Oh man... 

I'll use the brush since everyone is suggesting, but the salt lick.... it's good? it seems that all animals are attracted, even koelephants.

Yes, the salt lick attracts animals like koalaphants and deers

It is not only good, is needed. Is used to make the beefalo dont lose domestication so if you are not riding him you need to let him near a salt lick (even when fully tamed) if you maybe it will lose domestication points making the proccess a lot longer and can become feral again if you dont come to him for a while

I recomend you to make few to be sure that the beefalo will not waste it and lose the domestication (i dont remember how much days last 1 salt lick) so you dont need to be worry about him. Everytime you wont ride him let him there (and the bell) to do your stuff without worry about his domestication 

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

you can make herds in the caves

Oh, i didnt though about this. I think doesnt fit the ecosystem of the caves xD

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

that you can make herds in the caves

OMG, OMG , OMG I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, This could change everythink!!! In a sense of gameplay and even in megabases, i can make now   THE RUINS OF BEEFALOES :spidercowers:

Anyway thx for tip, i will now watch the video! 

Archived