Where is thimble reed with swampy start?

9 minutes ago, Kderosa said:

The third planet. The first one you need a rocket to reach. 

So the teleport planet is? ..and the two are a binary system?

So the nearest one to the second is the thrid?

How do we even make platforms if we can't make atmo suits? Send them out naked?

11 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Pretty much. Dupes can hold their breath for a long time and vacuum doesn't bother them at all. Space is safer than the oil biome.

How planets are numbered when they are all discovered (probably even before discovering them all.. I haven't checked that)

*If you don't want to know what every planet offers don't click

Spoiler

planets1.thumb.jpg.9c899f9ef340189ea8444cf9f2aa4a10.jpg

*every map/save has different positions but I think always the same relative distance to the starting planetoid

meaning : 1-2 1 tile distance, 1-3 2 tiles distance, 1-4,5,6 3-4 tiles distance

1 starting planet (swamp/ terra)

2 rocket planet (I think a dev in an update referred that..?) (fiber reed, gold/aluminum volcanos)

3 teleport planet (oil, sulfur geyser)

4 tungsten volcanos

5 ice planet (how I call it) Iron volcanos

6 magma planet (niobium/niobium volcano)

Here is the order you usually "discover" them

Spoiler

planets2.thumb.jpg.783063848a3e4f65bd2a5e169f1adfcf.jpg

* "0" because there is no "cartography" rocket module yet and you need to manually build and manage a telescope in rocket

16 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Naah... Dupes can hold their breath just fine in vacuum. You can build oxygen masks if you worry. Not so oxygen efficient like atmo suits (15kg of oxygen) and no environmental protection but they work.

If you mean how to make platform to the next planet, you could sent a rover first to build basic buildings and dig some tunnels to oxygenated areas and then send a dupe.

This is precisely the issue I'm having - no thimble reed, and no plastic.

My teleport took to me to a rusty biome, I haven't dug down to the meat of it but I like that it's cold. 

The space seems small, so looking for anything useful and then dealing with that.

Do we only get two teleport modules? Or can we have bidirectional transport with them?

The whole teleporting after 250 cycles seems more like a food network task than anything. And man, these plants are resource greedy. I guess I'll be a bit more diligent with how I deal with crops.

So, while I'm rambling about scattered thoughts, has anyone taken on a flatulent dupe just to be able to cook high quality meals? Because I haven't found a natural gas geyser either.

We should be getting some sort of feature release in a day or so, I may just start a new map if there's any RWG changes.

8 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

This is precisely the issue I'm having - no thimble reed, and no plastic.

My teleport took to me to a rusty biome, I haven't dug down to the meat of it but I like that it's cold. 

The space seems small, so looking for anything useful and then dealing with that.

Do we only get two teleport modules? Or can we have bidirectional transport with them?

The whole teleporting after 250 cycles seems more like a food network task than anything. And man, these plants are resource greedy. I guess I'll be a bit more diligent with how I deal with crops.

So, while I'm rambling about scattered thoughts, has anyone taken on a flatulent dupe just to be able to cook high quality meals? Because I haven't found a natural gas geyser either.

We should be getting some sort of feature release in a day or so, I may just start a new map if there's any RWG changes.

You can go in and out every 3~5 cycles. (never checked the exact time). For example, if you need auto sweepers in the 2 asteroid all you have to do is send one dupe from the first have them build and send them back.

Flatulent? I hate those LOL. Aparently you have some RNG. In the first time I started, I had carbon geyser in the second and natural gas in the third, the second game I had a polluted water vent in the third asteroid. 

9 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

The top of the planetoid is cold especially the rust biomes but it has a pretty hot oil biome and magma beneath. If you are unlucky a PoI can break the abyssalite walls to the magma and heat the oil even further.

10 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

You get a pair of teleporters both for dupes and for resources. You can transport stuff both ways easily once you activate the resource teleporters on both sides.

10 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

There doesn`t seem to be a nat gas geyser spawning currently on the first 3 planetoids. But you can use fertilizer makers to create it. You got enough polluted water on the swamp start. I think that`s better than a flatulent dupe. Once you get some atmo suits you can switch to the oil well for nat gas production.

I'm not on experimental and I have no thimble reed on either the 2nd or 3rd planet. I played before the Niobium volcano was added and I found thimble reed on the closest planet by rocket. Restarted after the recent update to check out the changes and I made my way there tonight to get some so I could start on atmo suits and there just aren't any at all. Some of the new plants are here that weren't here before though, Saturn Critter Trap and Tranquil Toes. Also some variance in the POI's. Not sure if it's just random or changes since the last version I played. Before the recent update I had 2 gold and 2 aluminum volcanos. This time I've got gold and aluminum volcanos, a polluted water vent, a hot polluted oxygen vent, and a carbon dioxide geyser all on that planet. Not sure if it's just bad luck on my part or a change regarding thimble reed. There are dreckos though (and pips) so I'm gonna wrangle a few up and send them back to my main to farm for fibers.

In working my way to wrangle a few dreckos I did however dig up some seeds. Just none growing wild. I think I like this better, if it's intentional, as the last game I sent some rovers and worked on other colonies, by the time I actually got dups on the planet there were quite a few just sitting there waiting for me from all the wild thimble reeds and it results in more of a challenge.

@Niil945

This is good to know. I have a game now where I have teleported to the second planet and discovered a thriving oil biome with lots of Lead ( Pb ) metal ...I must say, this is quite the nice find for me since I spend so much time trying to finesse metal refining system for my power grid.

You mentioned the metal geysers, this is nice, I still have not found any thimble reeds on the second asteroid, so I am guessing it's the first, nearest asteroid that looks like a swamp.

I'm just now trying to reveal the second asteroid since it's rather small, so I'm only keeping a couple of duplicants there with a  minimal skill set and sending over food the other dupes don't tend to like such as roasted nuts, swampy delights, etc. I have kept the natural plants such that they must walk through a nature reserve to get from the workspaces to the dining hall, etc. Kind of a neat trick for morale.

But I still need the timble reed to make cool vest yes? I hope they fix this issue, it makes creating anything with reed fiber a pain to get established - you would think that the high resource requirements would be enough of a gating mechanism already - perhaps they will look at this as well.

@The Plum Gate I don't recall if the temps were different my first time through, but in this playthrough the temps are 80 or higher in the oil biome so I didn't want to make a go at the oil without atmo suits to prevent mass scalding. Zombie spores are now active there too so there's another reason to need atmo before making a dive into the oil area. I don't really feel the resource requirements are high as it's easy to mass stockpile reed fibers once one gets access to thimble reeds. It's just getting there and getting back with a few seeds that's a rather hefty time sink, which holds back a lot of other advancement until it's done. As it stands, can't really get reliable access to oil, so petroleum and plastic, until atmo suits. That means no steam turbines, which means I can't moderate temperatures via aquatuner and steam turbine, no volcano taming, etc.

As an example I decided to try to use planet specific resources this time through and I ended up with no way to keep nosh stalks cool enough to grow even though I had a natural supply of ethanol. I could do some really convoluted and time/resource expensive things to cool the area without using advanced tech solutions but it's far, far easier to simply ship some food over and circumvent the entire problem to begin with. The general vibe I have is that the planetoids are neat, but the solutions to the problems they present are all the same thing (steam turbines, atmo suits). Even then, the biome specific features have hard stops that make them easier to ignore than to try to work within even once those solutions are available. i.e. nosh beans require ethanol which comes from arbor trees on the third planet. The third planet had no source of water (that specific playthrough, this time it shows I have one), so that meant utilizing pips to grow them water free. In the end, all that effort is meaningless as there's no real reason to farm trees on one planet, ship the lumber over, or even ship seeds and try to do it all in one. The easiest and most straightforward option is to take a team of dupes in with resources, setup the planetoid to be automated, then leave and just ferry resources back to my main as necessary. And it's even easier with the teleporter planetoid. Then we have power, which is isolated to each planetoid, but we also have nuclear coming. As it stands it may be cool to setup and tinker with, but I have a hard time figuring out when I'm going to actually want to use it unless there's a whole lot of high tech stuff that we haven't seen yet coming down the pipe that needs an exorbitant amount of power.

Regarding lead, I did utilize it my first playthrough to upgrade my power the first time but I'm trying to avoid doing that now. I'm not sure how much lead is going to be needed to work with upcoming nuclear so I'm trying to prepare without consuming all my lead that way. I could do it and then rebuild it all once I get access to a metal volcano and unlimited refined aluminum, gold, or iron, but similar to metal ore being limited I don't want to end up using a finite resource up and then need it later just in case there's a lot of power hungry stuff coming that necessitates it.

@Niil945,

The Lead can simply be replaced with another refined metal later, so I'm not worried about consuming it per se. I can just reclaim it when I have built a proper refinery and am not loosing lots of ore to the rock crusher - this whole venture makes a minimally invasive incursion into the oil biome totally worth it. There's also the distinct possibility of melting the lead in place and doubling the amount of available lead by dealing with in in liquid form using the pitcher pumps and a bottle emptier into a cold water, brine or ethanol bath - this could effectively double the available lead if you ever have a shortage and can get the heat source near enough to the lead in question - this would be a late game experiment - the lead should form two 1T tiles of liquid that can be dealt with.

Automating a planetoid is a good idea. As for how I dealt with the heat, I only got a few dupes with heat stroke from the inclusion, the scalding might occur later - I always take good care of my duplicants. I built a fresh ladder and had them stay on it rather than having them walk through scorching hot oil. I overbuild the ladder with new material when it gets too hot for them to be on. At best, my incursions are minimal, just enough to get 10T of lead out and dig up a couple of the zombie spore plants so they aren't causing problems. I let the slicksters deal with the atmosphere to the point that there was a vacuum and thus no spores - so my inclusions are also well planned and not something I usually turn my eyes elsewhere to.

I'll figure out how to get the oil later, at least I finally know where it is. The heat stroke and potential scalding works for me since I work with minimal staffing and few chores - I did have to abort a few moves because of it, but it worked out - and it was entierly on account of digging out stifled sporechild plants.

Right now, I'm noticing that the Nosh plants and the biomes that they are in, on this second planetoid are not spawning in RWG in a way as to be conducive to their growth. About half of them are stifled just above their temperature range, and since there are no natural emitters of chlorine without digging out the bleachstone, then there are instances where the dasha salt vines have consumed all the chlorine and have stifled out as well. About half the plants will never bear fruit in their natural habitat - which is disappointing.

I see what they've done here though - they have chained resource dependencies across multiple asteroids - giving us a bit of the next resources on the asteroid, such that we are meant to look to the next planetoid for a renewable source in order to maintain our setups. The problem with this, is that not everyone plays with a large number of dupes, so maintaining the basics of decent food and oxygen and morale are easily enough satisfied that this incentive is not as significant as it may seem.

So I'm probably overthinking things when it comes to thimble reed.

The second planetoid has enough ethanol pooling around for me to maintain a production of nosh beans for quite a while, I wouldn't need to go looking for the lumber to distill the ethanol myself quite a while. The temperatures of it and the plants are such that I could let them sit where they are and automate over the top of them with a minimal amount of invasive infrastructure and only the ocasional hydroponics tile and pump here or there - those water tanks are a blessing for this - particularly when made of an ore that's more conductive than the fluid ( and flooding the tank with the same fluid ). The salt vine is probably a thing of little concern for a while, I'm trying to figure out what exactly salt is good for other than a measly amount of table salt and a lot of sand.

Ok, all this talk about food and a bit of skepticism regarding food itself. It seems the morale is easily enough maintained by other boosting factors - I found that dupes will pick up the closest food to them on their way to their dinner tables, so I can get my dupes to finally eat the lower quality stuff without fiddling with the consumables. I just need to put the lower quality food storage between their workspaces and the mess tables. So my worries with the diet are low.

@The Plum Gate oh I'm not worried about using it up so much as I am wasting time utilizing it then having to redo everything with a different resource later. It's a time efficiency thing. When I have to invest in colony infrastructure  I know I'm going to rebuild later I go very minimal. The wires themselves are fine since they can easily be rebuilt over but since we have to manually redo transformers, bridges, and joint plates I avoid going big until I have the final resources I want to use.

I understand the desire to spread resources out to create specific environments that feed into each other. The concern I'm speaking about is that the hard stops create a scenario where by the time we can there's no need to. And moreso, there's not really even a game reason to. Using your example, I can let the wild nosh beans grow and wrap them up in such a way that I can maximize the duration of pockets of low temperature. But trying to create farms is a futile effort due to the mass and default temperature of constructed items raising the temperature to a point where nosh beans won't grow. The former doesn't result in enough food to maintain a colony so I still have to supplement with food from the main anyways. I guess I could bring in pips and try to mass plant nosh beans with them but I'd also have to get them from the third planet while being very careful about temperature while utilizing them. The latter quickly raises the temperature above the threshold of nosh beans with no effective way to lower the temperature until higher tech which once acquired results in other solutions that are far more effective methods to deal with the problems of food/morale anyways. I agree with your point about how salt vines and zombie spores naturally die off if left alone. By the time I got atmo suits and went back there wasn't a sporechild left active due to the atmosphere being depleted by slicksters.

To the point about reed sources, there are a few things in the game that vastly change what is possible. Reed fiber is the early game roadblock, at least that's the one resource that I feel like once I have I can transition to midgame. And since mass producing them isn't hard once a single seed is acquired I feel like getting it too early would trivialize the game. The alternative is something like having them available earlier, having lots of necessary recipes use them, and vastly increase reed fiber cost of creating and repairing atmo suits. I'm in the camp that would prefer the latter but the debate about durability demonstrates there's a lot of people who probably wouldn't find my preference fun. 

Archived