Possible glitch - Pipes Heat damage

I am encountering a glitch that I've never experienced in vanilla. Liquid in a radiated pipe from a mini pump showing heat damage. 

Context: I am building a small scale sour gas boiler. As of now we do not have super coolant in DLC I am employing a 2-phase cooling for my sour gas, liquid ethanol then hydrogen gas.  Long story short in the second cooling chamber sour gas comes from the top and condense at the bottom. Naturally I use a mini-pump to pump it back up and out so I can cool a bit of the incoming gas. I am sure my pipes are never clogged and should never exceed the 10% limit and somehow it encounter the heat damage problem. 

Then I notice that the damage usually occurs at the point where condensation happens outside the pipe. So my preliminary conclusion was that the game somehow mixed up the calculation of the content inside and outside of the pipes and therefore busted my pipe.  I could not consistently  replicate the scenario in sandbox so I am not filing a report yet because I am not sure if it is a bug. 

So I would like to know if there is anyone else experiencing the same problem as I do? 

P.S. On other note I still couldn't fully get my rocket gas/liquid port to function properly.  I think Klei should write a manual for those things.....

I find this happens sometimes, and is most annoying to work around.

If you have a big distinction between the inside of the pipe and the contents of the pipe it happens, iirc.

Which makes things like LH2 cooling loops a pain in the ass, as you have to prime the pipes with something else first.

In my experience, the minipump will average 1kg/s but will sometimes emit packets above 1kg. E.g. 1400g one second and 600g the next. I don't know the exact situations that cause the phenomenon, but it may be happening to your build.

A potential solution is to switch to a full sized pump and use valves. I've never seen a valve emit a packet above its limit.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

In my experience, the minipump will average 1kg/s but will sometimes emit packets above 1kg. E.g. 1400g one second and 600g the next. I don't know the exact situations that cause the phenomenon, but it may be happening to your build.

That could be one of the reasons, if that is so then it is a bug.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

A potential solution is to switch to a full sized pump and use valves. I've never seen a valve emit a packet above its limit.

The problem of a full pump is, the pipes could be busted before the valve, If the pump picked up liquid larger than 1kg.  The whole point of mini pump is exactly that, to limit flow before content enters the pipes. Works for me fine before DLC  with  methane, LOX and LH2. Somehow in the DLC some kind of glitch surfaced. 

8 hours ago, Yunru said:

I find this happens sometimes, and is most annoying to work around.

If you have a big distinction between the inside of the pipe and the contents of the pipe it happens, iirc.

Which makes things like LH2 cooling loops a pain in the ass, as you have to prime the pipes with something else first.

I have already cooled the pipes down to condensation point but the heat damage still occurs. 

1 hour ago, zerogamegame said:

The problem of a full pump is, the pipes could be busted before the valve, If the pump picked up liquid larger than 1kg.  The whole point of mini pump is exactly that, to limit flow before content enters the pipes. Works for me fine before DLC  with  methane, LOX and LH2. Somehow in the DLC some kind of glitch surfaced.

Can you post a shot, or even a save file of the buggy build?

I can tell you from experience that the large pump/valve setup can work. It's bulkier, but more power efficient if either of those two things matter to you. You just have to make sure you're not heating the pipe segments before the valve too much. With constant flow and ceramic pipes it's rather robust.

15 hours ago, TripleM999 said:

That the minipump emits packet larger than 1kg/s, was shown in this thread: 

It pulls 1kg/s and emits on average 1kg/s, if you need a guaranteed even 1kg/s flow, maybe you should combine the minipump and the valve.

Thanks for the pointer. That was genius. 

I am now using the mini pump plus valve solution, so far so good but I keep my finger crossed. 

Archived