why not add dlc themed skins to dst?

I was chatting in a stream and the topic of the bottle lantern was brought up and then it got me thinking, what if we have dlc skins for together? Some examples of this would be of course the bottle lantern reskinning the lantern, the gas mask reskinning the desert goggles or maybe the dumbrella reskining the eyebrella. I love playing the dlcs and would really love this concept being expanded upon.

Bottle_Lantern.png

Gas_Mask.png

Dumbrella.png

It's certainly an interesting idea, though I think it might be cooler if dlc themed skins are done in more subtle ways, where they're more a nod to things from a dlc and not outright a copy of an item from a dlc.

Like what they did with that one feather hat skin and the luxury fan skin, which both use a feather that is very similar to the plumes of hamlet's peagawks.

19 hours ago, Freshness said:

It's certainly an interesting idea, though I think it might be cooler if dlc themed skins are done in more subtle ways, where they're more a nod to things from a dlc and not outright a copy of an item from a dlc.

Like what they did with that one feather hat skin and the luxury fan skin, which both use a feather that is very similar to the plumes of hamlet's peagawks.

thats also a very good idea however id like it to be a bit less subtle were it to be added

7 hours ago, Well-met said:

That would permanently shut down the hopes of people wishing for true ports

this is evil

in all honesty i dont think porting a dlc to together would be possible as it have to be locked off to anyone who hasnt bought it and klei is already focusing on stuff like return of them and how would world hopping work? 

5 hours ago, WoodenBench said:

1-in all honesty i dont think porting a dlc to together would be possible as it have to be locked off to anyone who hasnt bought it

2-klei is already focusing on stuff like return of them

3-how would world hopping work? 

1- Not true, can easily do these add-ons like Minecraft. (only HOST needs to own but anyone can join DLC rather they own or not, all it takes is a few extra moments of “Downloading DLC Assets”)

2- this is true: but eventually they will be completed with their current content plans, and in my opinion porting the DLCs to be compatible with DST would be THE Number 1 thing I really want to see happen.

3- It wouldn’t, But you don’t really need to either.. in my single play DS game I have FOUR saves (Maxwell in Adventures Mode, Wendy in Shipwrecked, Walani in Hamlet, Wendy again but in Classic pre Reign of Giants mode) We have 5 save slots... each one could be dedicated to a different Dont Starve World: I’ve never had any need to hop between different worlds in DS solo, & imagine it would be darn near impossible to implement that to feature to DST. 

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

1- Not true, can easily do these add-ons like Minecraft. (only HOST needs to own but anyone can join DLC rather they own or not, all it takes is a few extra moments of “Downloading DLC Assets”)

2- this is true: but eventually they will be completed with their current content plans, and in my opinion porting the DLCs to be compatible with DST would be THE Number 1 thing I really want to see happen.

3- It wouldn’t, But you don’t really need to either.. in my single play DS game I have FOUR saves (Maxwell in Adventures Mode, Wendy in Shipwrecked, Walani in Hamlet, Wendy again but in Classic pre Reign of Giants mode) We have 5 save slots... each one could be dedicated to a different Dont Starve World: I’ve never had any need to hop between different worlds in DS solo, & imagine it would be darn near impossible to implement that to feature to DST. 

Not only has Klei stated they wish not to divide the fanbase through DLC that locks certain parts of the DST player base out of a huge chunk of content, having this Minecraft add-on system would not really be a good way of making it work either in my opinion. How would this work with dedicated servers? Would the DLC be in the game already or would it need to be downloaded each time a server is joined? How would mods interact with this, what issues could arise? 

Even after return of them is finished, I heavily doubt they would work on bringing the DLC to together, not only for the previously mentioned reasons, but also because if anything I feel like they would work on something else, be it a different game, new DST content, or... I don't know, Wilson Kart 8 Deluxe? Either way, them porting the DS DLC to DST sounds very unlikely to me.

Lastly, I'd like to just say that for a majority of the community world-hopping is hands down the way to play DS, as it allows you to do so many more interesting and creative things with bases and the such to make builds more unique and interesting. I doubt many people like to juggle 4 different save slots with 4 different themes and 4 different styles of gameplay in which they spend thousands of days building stuff up, they'd rather just have one world long term in which they can utilize all the things they want to use. Yes, technically you are not required to world-hop and can play the game just fine, however not offering even the option to world-hop at all would probably not be something most players like. Even if the decision of not including world-hopping is purely based on technicalities of DST not being able to support it (at least that we know of so far.)
Besides, adding several different players, maybe even groups of friends distinct from one another, that play on certain worlds but not others would just make things even more complicated than they would already be on top of this.
My point is, while for you personally it wouldn't matter all that much if world-hopping was not part of the DLC (assuming they would even be ported to DST), many other people would much prefer it to be an option they could use, hell for some it is THE reason to play with the DLC, so excluding it would not be right in my eyes.

Archived