[MODS] Nightinggale's mods list

• Coal Generator Delivery Fixes - improves control of coal delivery chores to make the coal and wood generators more useful
  • Half Door - 1x1 Mechanized Airlock
  • Pipe pressure valves - compress pipe contents from many small dots to a few big dots
  • Piped Output - Adds pipe output to buildings releasing gas/liquid to the room while maintaining the room release if no pipe is present

My old mod thread. Admittedly all the mods are outdated by now. Time will tell how many I will update.

Steam link

(Visit steam for longer mod descriptions and screenshots)

GitHub repository

12 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Please take a look at your piped output mod ;) It saves so much trouble...

I will see what I can do. However so much has changed in the game code that it might be easier to start over. I updated one mod so far and it seems like a simple mod, yet apart from the dual slider it's more or less a complete rewrite. The good news is that it's a completely new design based on class inheritance meaning it's much less likely to break in the future as it refers to Klei's EnergyGenerator class rather than copying it and as such if it updates, my code is automatically updated as well. Maybe a recompile might be needed, but likely no code updates. Given my ONI modding time these days I better write low maintenance mods if they are to last.

Having said that, piped output is the most attractive to get working again. Most of my mods are obsolete anyway, either by game updates or other mods. Some of my sensors could be useful, but they will likely appear as new standalone mods as keeping them all in one mod seems to be too fragile.

Updated Pipe Pressure Valve for DLC1. Seems easy as surprisingly this one didn't break. However it turned out that I ran into the TECH_GROUPING issue and now there is a DLL for each of vanilla and the DLC. I suppose that's fine though as now I figured out how to handle that. Still a mess that I can't compile for both versions at once.

Graphics are still tinted vanilla buildings. I would welcome if anybody can make proper graphics for it as I'm clueless about graphic creation. I mean I could likely figure out how to add something, but I can't draw anything to add.

I can tell you, your piped output mod ran just fine for the last year despite all the game updates and changes made. I still use it, and have no problems at all. So, i assume, with the newly added needed additions (the version.yaml and such) the mod should just run along forever ;)

16 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

I can tell you, your piped output mod ran just fine for the last year despite all the game updates and changes made. I still use it, and have no problems at all. So, i assume, with the newly added needed additions (the version.yaml and such) the mod should just run along forever ;)

You are right. All I had to do was copy paste the yaml file from the coal generator mod and it just works. Funny how delivering coal to the coal generator required a complete rewrite while a giant hack like adding output ports without using the vanilla code to do so appear to just work.

The bad part of not recompiling the DLL is that now there is no support for DLC only buildings. It can be fixed, but it will require a DLC specific DLL, hence more work. Doesn't look like it's worth the time unless Klei decides to add more buildings, which releases gas/liquid. At least for the time being using two DLLs is double work when compiling and testing, not to mention it's half a TB download every time I switch.

That's 3 mods, which I made DLC compatible within a single weekend where I also had to figure out how the DLC reads mods. I didn't expect it to happen that fast.

20 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I did use piped output for a long time too, but i find the output pipe on an oil well and óxygen generators a bit cheaty.

Whats the problem with them? If you dont want them, just dont connect a pipe to them. They will work normally. You CAN add pipes, but you dont need to.

I know that i dont have to add a pipe. Why i think it is cheaty? Well because for the oil well you dont need a dupe to get the gas out and for both you dont need a gas pump and gasfilter then makes it somewhat easier than without the mod.

Dot get me wrong its a great mod but after i used it for a long time. But now i feel that the dumped elements are part of the challenge.

8 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Hones opinion? Forget about the DLC for now, when it comes to complex mods. Its not worth the effort yet. Everything is subject to change. So if you do the math for current state, you´ll doing it again in a week maybe.

I want to play to have fun. I started playing the DLC and instantly missed some mods. I quickly fixed them in order to get into playing as I haven't even reached refined metals in the DLC yet. The concept of fine tuning mods for the DLC is postponed until further notice. I just want as much as possible to work with the minimal amount of work for the time being.

Yes there is a risk that the mods will break. That's something I will deal with if it happens.

1 hour ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I did use piped output for a long time too, but i find the output pipe on an oil well and óxygen generators a bit cheaty.

A lot of mods can be declared as cheating. Perhaps even all of them. The solution is simple: don't use something you don't want in the game. It's a single player game. If you want to cheat, then I won't stop you. I play to have fun and you should too.

There are mods with a settings window. Perhaps I will add that to control which buildings will get piped output should some people prefer specific buildings to be unmodded. However for the time being all you have to do is to not connect the output pipes.

I dont think the piped mod needs a settings file. The buildings work like vanilla if you dont add pipes. So, whats the point of adding a config? Just leave them be, and play along if one dont want to use the pipe. Maybe the description should be more clear, so the people understand they CAN use the pipe output, but dont have to. Its clear for me, you and most of the others i think, but some may think they have to use the pipe when its there (because thats how vanilla piped buildings work).

Hi! Thanks for the great mod! have been using piped output since it first came out :)

I did see that you updated the steam version yesterday, but the updated version currently seems to lacks a mod_info.yaml file :(

I've tried to manually place one in the mods folder, but steam didn't like that at all lol

Is this a known issue?

All in all, thanks for the great mod!

9 hours ago, Zadong said:

Hi! Thanks for the great mod! have been using piped output since it first came out :)

I did see that you updated the steam version yesterday, but the updated version currently seems to lacks a mod_info.yaml file :(

Looks fine to me. It is in the folder I uploaded. Maybe you can fix the problem by using Mod Updater. If not, then report back and I will take a closer look.

9 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Looks fine to me. It is in the folder I uploaded. Maybe you can fix the problem by using Mod Updater. If not, then report back and I will take a closer look.

Thank you for the help! Mod Updater did the trick :) all working perfectly fine now!

Updated Half door. It's now working with the newest version of ONI, both with and without DLC.

I got the sensor mod working locally in the DLC, but I found a crashing bug. I think it's a NULL reference when a pipe sensor is built somewhere without a pipe, but it's pending investigation. I won't release anything known to be able to crash the game, meaning you have to wait for this one.

On 1/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, SharraShimada said:

Thats the main problem with Steam workshop... it does not always deliver the newest version, but some version. One time i resubscribed to a mod and got an even older version. That system is just crap.

The only good thing I can say about steam workshop is that it's popular and keeping mods up to date is easy when it's working. Everything else is crap. Also seen with other games "updated mod will break savegames. Don't update until you are ready to start a new game". Steam "look, a new version. Let's update right away".

Archived