Frozen core Rust Melter?

I play in a frozen core asteroid without volcanoes, but I got way too much rust lying around. I don't have much salt, so the deoxidizer isn't an option. Thermium can only bring the aquatuner to 1225C, so I can't just loop coolant through a few thermium aquatuners and melt the rust. The throughput of rocket exhaust isn't much, and I got hundred of tons of rust. What options do I have to melt it?

BTW, why can't we refine rust to iron with carbon, like how we refine hematite IRL?

Metal Refinery, or Kiln (for the memes).

Regardless of your choice you'll want a counterflow exchanger. Rust in and iron out. Similar to a regolith melter but without the huge discrepancy in SHC.

Also don't forget about saltvines if you have them. Turns useless chlorine and effectively infinite sand into salt. It may not be much, but it could be a long term project slowly converting the rust into iron ore. It adds up after several hundred cycles.

1 hour ago, Fyrel said:

Quite partial to molten lead myself. so much quicker to start. :)

I'm curious what your setup is now. Melting steel is pretty easy, just run an steel aquatuner in a vacuum until it melts. The tricky part is pumping it you have to trick the pump to absorbing it without touching the molten steel like you would for lava. Is there a simpler method for lead?

You can just use a wolframite pump without any of the absorbing shenanigans and let it overheat. It'll pump for about a cycle before totally breaking. More than sufficient for a closed loop system like a metal refinery powered hot plate. Steel pumps pumping molten steel is also possible since steel stays molten way below it's melting point.

I suppose it's a bit lame/cheaty that overheating pumps work for so long, but the same could be said of the absorbing trick. Shrug

1 hour ago, he77789 said:

I discovered a volcano

EZ PZ then. You can also flow your spent volcano fuel out along with the converted iron to effectively increase the SHC of the exchanger output. This will shrink the temp delta you have to heat at your hot plate. At the cost of outputting hotter iron. How much so depends on your exchanger. The better the exchanger, the less volcano fuel you use, which means less spent fuel, which means less of a boost. Maybe meaningful, maybe be trivial, who knows.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, he77789 said:

Plot twist: I discovered a volcano. Somehow it generated despite the frozen core seed attribute.

Frozen Core doesn't prevent Volcanos.  It just changes the molten zone from molten rock to frozen ice and stuff.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:04 AM, ghkbrew said:

I'm curious what your setup is now. Melting steel is pretty easy, just run an steel aquatuner in a vacuum until it melts. The tricky part is pumping it you have to trick the pump to absorbing it without touching the molten steel like you would for lava. Is there a simpler method for lead?

I use a metal refinery to heat up petroleum.

Pipe the hot petroleum through a lead metal tile build above a liquid pump.in an airflow tile basin (in vacuum)

When the lead tile melts the lead drops onto the pump and gets pumped into a tank for later use.

The pump does take overheat damage but the temperatures are pretty low so will last long enough to fill up the tank of liquid lead.

Archived