Pseudo-scientific explanation of Willow's immunity to fire and Bernie's ability to "become alive" and protect her.

According to a wealth of fantasy and science fiction literature, our minds are a powerful means of shaping physical reality in ways that are as prodigious as they are bizarre.
Unfortunately, a strange joke of the universe would seem to have precluded us from exploiting the full potential of our mind.
But not for everyone.
Some lucky winners of a curious "cosmic lottery" have crossed the limit that bound the mind. This is the case with Willow:
equipped with telekinetic powers, her immunity to fire comes from an unconscious repulsive force field that surrounds her body, preventing the flames from attacking her flesh and triggering the burning of tissues. Obviously the force field does not thermally isolate it from the environment and therefore it can still overheat. Furthermore, Willow is not yet "powerful" enough to generate a force field powerful enough to defend her from impact from large macroscopic objects.
When he is on the verge of madness, however, Willow's powers grow and with them she is able to "manipulate" Bernie from a distance, giving the illusion that he is alive.
Using a bubble of compressed air, Willow expands Bernie's body from the inside, opening the seams and letting out the fabric inside.
From a very young age Willow's higher mind made her disturbed, able to see shadows, creatures from another dimension that are normally closed to our limited senses. But Willow could already see them at an age she still didn't know how to write maybe.
The day Willow understands how to better explore her mind, her powers will increase exponentially: she will understand how to split the elements or trigger their fusion, she will be able to regenerate the flesh and reverse the entropy. Willow will be a kind of God among men, and will finally free us all from Them.

image.thumb.png.1d6ec7c2b6383725c232aaa92b27ec66.png

22 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

According to a wealth of fantasy and science fiction literature, our minds are a powerful means of shaping physical reality in ways that are as prodigious as they are bizarre.
Unfortunately, a strange joke of the universe would seem to have precluded us from exploiting the full potential of our mind.
But not for everyone.
Some lucky winners of a curious "cosmic lottery" have crossed the limit that bound the mind. This is the case with Willow:
equipped with telekinetic powers, her immunity to fire comes from an unconscious repulsive force field that surrounds her body, preventing the flames from attacking her flesh and triggering the burning of tissues. Obviously the force field does not thermally isolate it from the environment and therefore it can still overheat. Furthermore, Willow is not yet "powerful" enough to generate a force field powerful enough to defend her from impact from large macroscopic objects.
When he is on the verge of madness, however, Willow's powers grow and with them she is able to "manipulate" Bernie from a distance, giving the illusion that he is alive.
Using a bubble of compressed air, Willow expands Bernie's body from the inside, opening the seams and letting out the fabric inside.
From a very young age Willow's higher mind made her disturbed, able to see shadows, creatures from another dimension that are normally closed to our limited senses. But Willow could already see them at an age she still didn't know how to write maybe.
The day Willow understands how to better explore her mind, her powers will increase exponentially: she will understand how to split the elements or trigger their fusion, she will be able to regenerate the flesh and reverse the entropy. Willow will be a kind of God among men, and will finally free us all from Them.

image.thumb.png.1d6ec7c2b6383725c232aaa92b27ec66.png

Hmm............ nice theory, but really I wouldn't go as far as "God among men".

Interesting thing about Willow, She has Immunity to fire damage but to start a fire she needs a lighter..

If Klei REALLY wanted her to be a Pyrokinetic then she wouldn’t NEED a lighter, all she would need to do is snap her fingers and poof fire appears above them like the X-men. 

Instead, lighters run out of fuel and Willow is left with crafting new ones.. or being without fire, the only thing she always has is immunity towards fire.

So she’s not a fire starter so to say.. she’s more of just the fire immune.

Now Bernie... is another subject altogether, but willow in her current form can’t start fires without a trusty lighter.

Not actually pyrokinetic? Well, maybe not the DST version, but...

DS Willow has entered the chat.

Seriously, she sets fires automatically when she gets insane enough, and can do so ANYwhere, including on solid rock.  That's always read as some kind of wild/latent mutant power or magical talent, to me.

(Not that she'd pay any ATTENTION to the training, if it did happen.  I can just see her rolling her eyes at Professor Xavier and snarking out of the room.  : P)

...Notorious

I have always theorized that Bernie and Ashley may be dolls possessed by beings (or just one that can control many bodies) with a nature similar to shadow creatures/ "them", but with a more protective or benevolent nature, that would explain why they become giants and come to life.

I like to think that it is a being for each version: one for Bernie and one for Ashley, because I have the impression that both stuffed animals have a different personality, or at least it would be part of my headcanon. Perhaps these beings saw Willow and decided to take care of her for some reason or they have been living trapped inside the dolls for a long time and someone gave them to Willow knowing or not their true nature, or she just found them and decided to keep them. 

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Not actually pyrokinetic? Well, maybe not the DST version, but...

DS Willow has entered the chat.

Seriously, she sets fires automatically when she gets insane enough, and can do so ANYwhere, including on solid rock.  That's always read as some kind of wild/latent mutant power or magical talent, to me.

(Not that she'd pay any ATTENTION to the training, if it did happen.  I can just see her rolling her eyes at Professor Xavier and snarking out of the room.  : P)

...Notorious

I have not played Willow much in Solo DS, but does she not use her lighter to light fires with when low sanity? 

If Klei wants her to be a true pyrokinetic then she probably needs another rework- Otherwise I’m sticking to my head canon of she’s only immune to fire, she can’t self start them.

Thats not to say she won’t unlock new powers in the future.. similar to how Woodie unlocked new formations & control over his curse. But for now- she’s most certainly not a Pyrokinetic.

Since I never got to play the forge.. did Forge Willow have any fireball casting powers there?

6 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

I'm guessing she's not immune to fire in the real world, but since she's in the Constant, things are exaggerated.  Kind of like with Wickerbottom's books.

But she is immune to fire in real world, her animated short shows her walking out of a flaming Orphanage completely unharmed, this is prior to ever arriving into the constant.. 

Willows lore is a bit all over the place, she’s shown in the short as being a young child, yet she’s supposed to be around Wilson’s age when she enters the constant?

Whats unique about Willow is that Nightmare creatures target and attack her in the Real World... which means- there’s some pretty messed up stuff going on AND Willow may have actually entered the constant herself years later because she was made self-aware of the things that are trying to escape it.

I hope when DST finally reaches its conclusion the Mystery that is Willow will finally be cleared up.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But she is immune to fire in real world, her animated short shows her walking out of a flaming Orphanage completely unharmed, this is prior to ever arriving into the constant.. 

Willows lore is a bit all over the place, she’s shown in the short as being a young child, yet she’s supposed to be around Wilson’s age when she enters the constant?

Whats unique about Willow is that Nightmare creatures target and attack her in the Real World... which means- there’s some pretty messed up stuff going on AND Willow may have actually entered the constant herself years later because she was made self-aware of the things that are trying to escape it.

I hope when DST finally reaches its conclusion the Mystery that is Willow will finally be cleared 

Willow's age is around early 20s according to the devs themselves and Wilson is on early 30s, so their age gap is around a decade.

I doubt Willow enters the constant with her own will to herself. I found that Willow is just unbothered by these things. I hypothesise that Maxwell promises her a new life, this is supported by in game description where it says Willow glad to enter the constant, it make her forgets the past afterall.

I theorise, the shadow creatures are released prior to San Francisco earthquake (Maxwell's final act),since she is mentally deranged, that is why the shadow creature appear to be very real and is able to attacked her. The thing is, Wilson is not the first person to arrive at the constant (skeletons scattered around in game map), so you can imagine how many deranged people died there, but Willow is the only one survives (just like the rest of the casts)

I also theorise, that the reason Willow survives the fire incident is because she is a fire-bender, now listen I know you think I an joking, but it is possible, because, how can she create a combust of fire that burn the whole manor alone? Heh?

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have not played Willow much in Solo DS, but does she not use her lighter to light fires with when low sanity? 

Nope!  It just happens spontaneously regardless of what you're carrying, or even have on you at the time.  I swear I've seen her do it when I didn't even have a torch.  (I would say "when I didn't even have fire materials", but that'd be a lie.  I NEVER go anywhere without _those_.)

It's tons of fun when she burns down her own boat in Shipwrecked...!  One of my funniest deaths.  XD

...Notorious

Archived