A new source for sulfur...The Oil Refinery.

1 hour ago, alexkuzmov said:

But we still go no use for sulfur, no?

In DLC, new plants and critters require sulfur to live, but we are currently lacking renewable source of it (with exception of some very late game designs that cool sour gas below -160*C)

53 minutes ago, pether said:

In DLC, new plants and critters require sulfur to live, but we are currently lacking renewable source of it (with exception of some very late game designs that cool sour gas below -160*C)

it's entirely possible to dance around with using rocket exhaust for heat and AETN for cooling to do it fairly early on.

I do however say that there is indeed a need for fairly easily accessible renewable sulfur. However [2], the bees might be what makes it? They look sulfur-y.

2 hours ago, Sith515 said:

I do however say that there is indeed a need for fairly easily accessible renewable sulfur. However [2], the bees might be what makes it? They look sulfur-y.

They're native to the new radiation biome.  Does that biome contain sulfur?

On 12/4/2020 at 12:44 AM, Sasza22 said:

It should just drop it off when working or get clogged with it like the desalinator requiring emptying once in a while. It would adress the missing mass when transforming from oil to petrol as well.

I actually never build a refinery in any of my games. I use tempshift plates in mid game and side-extract the magma heat spreading and converting the entire oil biome into 100% petrol. I then use that heat with steam turbines to convert salt water into water and salt at the same time cooling the petrol to <150c. Why on earth would I ever use a refinery (or desalinator) in their current state and lose half my mass of oil? Poor current design IMO.

That said. This would give me a reason to actually use the refinery. At first I thought "eh, refinery is meh" but Sasza's idea here got me thinking. It is both logical and fair to have "sulfur buildup" from the refinery = half the oil mass loss that currently exists. This also doesn't remove the need for a future petrol boiler, either. So then it would get both an early and late game purpose without removing an established late game system.

6 hours ago, Nemisis311 said:

I actually never build a refinery in any of my games. I use tempshift plates in mid game and side-extract the magma heat spreading and converting the entire oil biome into 100% petrol. I then use that heat with steam turbines to convert salt water into water and salt at the same time cooling the petrol to <150c. Why on earth would I ever use a refinery (or desalinator) in their current state and lose half my mass of oil? Poor current design IMO.

That said. This would give me a reason to actually use the refinery. At first I thought "eh, refinery is meh" but Sasza's idea here got me thinking. It is both logical and fair to have "sulfur buildup" from the refinery = half the oil mass loss that currently exists. This also doesn't remove the need for a future petrol boiler, either. So then it would get both an early and late game purpose without removing an established late game system.

Never played frozen core?

13 hours ago, Sith515 said:

Nothing stops you from shipping stuff between asteroids for that matter

It's about logic, not logistics.  Logically, a critter should eat and produce things found in their native biome.  If their diet consists of something from another biome then they'd logically die out due to starvation.  If they produce something that's absent from their native biome then we've got some serious intestinal blockage going on.

36 minutes ago, alexkuzmov said:

Never played frozen core?

I played a frozen core map but did not use refineries either. The best way in my view is to process oil using rockets themselves. Also I like lava slicksters. As you can see it is very simple design (just two steel doors to regulate temperature and three small chambers - one is where oil is processed, two tile buffer to lock unprocessed oil spill off - the leak happened only at the beginning when the temp was low and the third one where oil gives it temperature to the incoming and also give its temperature to produce electricity. Rocket take off/landing heat is stored in the diamond/steam storage under the rocket pad.

Rocket.thumb.jpg.3aedbcf94a1f3aa568ec3a4457feb8c4.jpg

Archived