No reason to stay?

I noticed that there doesn't seem to be much reason to stay on the starter world in the alpha.  Once you get metal refining up, you sort of hit a wall where you're forced to go elsewhere to proceed.  In theory this is fine for testing out rocketry and the teleporters, but the issue that's come up is that there doesn't seem to be a reason to stay on your starter asteroid long term.  Eventually you may as well completely relocate elsewhere.  There's nothing like oil wells which require regular dupe work and no unique resources that you'll only be able to exploit after going to other asteroids.  This would be fine for some worlds but seems very odd for the starter one.  You can take the critters and seeds, setup automation on any important resource extraction, and you're done.

The AETNs and teleporter stations are the only real special items since they cannot be moved or rebuilt.  So one option to make asteroids more appealing is to lean into those.  Have more that require active dupe maintenance ala the oil well.

Another option could be resources that are essentially worthless or too bulky to move between asteroids which can be made useable with critters, seeds, and other resources imported from other asteroids.  Where generally you'd want to be moving whatever resource would be the easiest to move, and the primary worlds are ones where the harder to move resources are found.

Maybe there should be NO reason to stay on the starter world.

Maybe there should be a FINAL planet called Earth, and the whole point of the game is to get all your dupes from the starting world to the final world, via rockets and intermediate bases.

So, replace "temporal tear" with "Earth", but you can't reach Earth from the starter world.

To be honest i like it.

I have some reasons to move to the next planet (lack of certain resurces) but i have enough to decide to fully establish the planet and send new pritend duped to death their incredible privilege of colonizing a new planet.

I came to the same conclusion.

The starter planetoid lacks renewables that require dupe labor, and the teleporter makes it incredibly easy to ship off the only resource the starter provides (water). So it seems the logical move is to strip mine it, set up two water purification facilities powered by a hastily assembled solar array and move elsewhere to set up a meaningful industrial zone. The oil planetoid seems better suited for that.

Maybe that's the intended strategy, but it's still kinda sad.

I was thinking about a way to make the starter asteroid more interesting and give it a 'home base' sort of feel.  Let's say you start near the surface, with relatively easy to tap biomes on either side of your start and the surface above.  However below the start the asteroid gets extremely dangerous and hostile, to the point it isn't practical to go down and there isn't anything you can do about it.  Yet.

Other asteroids around the system have the resource keys you need to get passed the more hostile biomes on the starter asteroid, which are then used to unlock more and more parts of the tech tree and/or later game industries as well build rockets which go further and run more efficiently.

Say stuff like a 'great smog cavern'.  It's a massive chamber that runs the width of the asteroid full of a dense smog gas that sits under CO2 and cannot be pumped.  This gas always hurts your dupes and gets them sick, so it cannot be safely entered.  However you can go to nearby asteroids and get plants that consume the gas or import resources that can be used to convert it into something more manageable.  Then you can scavenge the smog cavern for some rare resources and valueable POIs like the teleporter stations.  Possibly other Gravitas facilities can be put here.  Then past that is another hostile biome that presents a new challenge to overcome through the use of travelling to other asteroids and logistics of transporting materials around.

Another thing hidden deep in the starter asteroid can be locked buildings that you need to find keys from elsewhere to get into.  With actual valuable resources/buildings inside them.  Say vaults for special seeds and large reserves of metal.  Alternatively, data banks which are needed to do late game research.

Archived