Request: Keep construction material selections separate

When switching between planetoids, there are generally differences in available material. 

For example, I started off in the swamp planetoid which had lots of igneous rock, and little sandstone.

I then moved to the terra planetoid, which had plenty of sandstone and not as much igneous rock.

I naturally tend to use the resource I have the most of, except for certain situations.

Thus, the request: Can we keep the selected resource of use separate between planetoids? Currently, both remember your last used material for something, and it would be nice if they remembered separately.

20 hours ago, pether said:

What if there was "nearest" material selection option? In most cases you would be using that one, when changing asteroids it would save it as well, but it would use different nearest materials on each asteroid

"Nearest" would be better described as "Any" (or perhaps "Any Ore/Mineral" for cases where expensive materials like niobium/insulation would be an option), which would be a really nice option for those builds where you really don't care about the material.

21 hours ago, pether said:

What if there was "nearest" material selection option? In most cases you would be using that one, when changing asteroids it would save it as well, but it would use different nearest materials on each asteroid

1 hour ago, Hexicube said:

"Nearest" would be better described as "Any" (or perhaps "Any Ore/Mineral" for cases where expensive materials like niobium/insulation would be an option), which would be a really nice option for those builds where you really don't care about the material.

This would be an amazing QoL feature if easy enough to implement.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, penguin0616 said:

Can we keep the selected resource of use separate between planetoids? Currently, both remember your last used material for something, and it would be nice if they remembered separately.

To be honest I prefer the state of having just one material selection for a specific building for all planetoids.

(What annoys me is if you run out of a building material and you start using an other one without noticing, but that results in less problems with just one global building material preset.)

Having a local selection is mostly useful for doing new/early constructions, but considering some later game bases it will be just an annoyance to deal with different saved material presets.

[I would prefer an optional feature or mod to handle different presets.]

12 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

What annoys me is if you run out of a building material and you start using an other one without noticing

This is the real reason I use the "plan without materials" mod. Ergonomically, it's just better to plan something you can't build than to build something you don't want.

Archived